iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charge Less for Beams?

Started by homesteader1972, March 10, 2015, 09:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Got a potential customer wanting to build a log cabin, so it will consist of a lot of 6x12 logs/beams. Do you charge less for such, and if so how much less. Certainly the bf will add up fast that way, especially the 20 footers. What do yall do?

thanks much
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

terrifictimbersllc

U charge hourly so can't answer from experience . But cutting long beams accurately and handling them eats up a lot if any time savings.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ncsawyer

A little while back I sawed a bunch of 8x8 and 8x10 white oak beams to be made into trackhoe mats.  I quoted my normal board foot rate and it ended up being cheaper than he could have hauled them to a large mill and had them milled by the time you figured in the haul bill, so he was happy and I was happy.  The other thing to consider is the equipment needed to move the beams off of the mill.  That may add time to the milling process.

The alternative to charging by the board foot is to charge by the hour.  The bottom line is to work out a pricing schedule where you make money and he is satisfied.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

red

What kind of wood?   Whose LOGS?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Much depends upon how much support equipment is there and who is furnishing it.  I do not provide any support equipment, so that would be hourly rate for me. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Is this on a portable job you talking?
Boy, back in my day..

homesteader1972

Its a mobile job, his logs, poplar. He provides the skid steer. Its sounding like you all do not discount any, and maybe charge hourly. Do most of you find that it takes longer to mill long beams like this?

Thanks again
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Jim_Rogers

By the bdft. You have down time while you're waiting for him to move the timber off the mill.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Percy

Up here, cutting WRC or Sitka, beams fetch more than the side lumber. There are way more logs that can make a 1x6 than a 6x12. Tractors and skid steers are your friend with this type of cut.....obviously
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beenthere

Quote from: homesteader1972 on March 10, 2015, 10:39:53 PM
Its a mobile job, his logs, poplar. He provides the skid steer. Its sounding like you all do not discount any, and maybe charge hourly. Do most of you find that it takes longer to mill long beams like this?

Thanks again

You are making it sound like you do not have any experience sawing long beams. Hope you are not painting yourself into a corner. Maybe do some short trial runs before making a big commitment that might not go well for you and/or your customer.
But hope you get the job and it works out well for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Also consider that for beams, you need to have them square withing 1/16th at worst and preferably better.  If used for anything better than posts, they need to be grade 1 or better.  Usually better because you need to take into account cosmetics for timberframe.  You might be able to use a lower grade for log cabin stacking logs on top of each other to make walls?  I an not informed as to log building.

No I don't think you'd charge less per sae.  You have different specs and handling considerations.  Think about this, if your band is not cutting parallel to the bed, the thickness of one side of your first board and last board might be off a bit(assuming flat sawn).  Not too big a deal on lumber.  it would make more of a difference on a timber though- causing it to be out of square.  In other words, make sure your band mill is cutting square to the bed and adjust if necessary before starting the job.

As Jim says, you probably need to figure an appropriate BF price if sawing your logs, and it's a choice for customers logs at their site, hourly or BF.  If they have to do all the handling, and they are not Johnny on the spot, maybe hourly would be better?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bandmill Bandit

He cant buy those at the local lumber yard unless the lumber yard orders em from you or some one like you. and the lumber yard sure wont sell them cheap i can tell you that for sure.

In this country that kind lumber brings a premium. Real good stuff can go as high as 1500 per MBF or higher.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Ianab

Non-standard sawing.  Charge an hourly rate. If they are good logs, he's got his site set up, and is on the ball moving logs, slabs and beams, he will gets a cheaper job. If you are held up waiting for him, or have a few reject logs in the pile, it's not you problem. End of they day you got your hourly agreed rate.

Now if you are selling beams, they may very well be worth more than boards. Need better logs, more equipment to handle them, limited supply etc. 

But if you are just supplying machinery and labour, those factors don't really come into it. If he wants beams or pen turning blanks, you cut, and don't worry. Work out what you need to earn to make it a "good" day, and divide by ~7 hours, and that's your rate. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

I charge the same bf rate for sawing the customers timbers. I use all my own equipment and they supply the logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

I don't get in a game with the customer  where  he says you only have 4 or 5 cut to make a beam. Can't I get a better price. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
NO!!!!
Good luck
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

If they were short in length may be but anything over 12ft it's all about handling and Time

Chuck White

I would charge by the board foot.

Even though the bf adds up more quickly, the handling enters the picture.

If that don't work for you, go hourly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red

I worked in an Auto Parts store and everyone wants a discount. I would say this is not Discount Auto go ask them all your Questions and follow their advice.
The best were people from the phone company wanting a discount I say Sure as soon as you can get me a discount on my phone bill.. . Find out what the customer does for a living

redbeard

If you compare BF prices at local lumber yard, You should see a increase in cost the bigger the lumber. Example a 8x8 will be alot higher BF cost than the standard 2x4 BF cost. Something to consider.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ohio_Bill

I find one of the hardest things in a job like this is getting  the customer to understand  what logs he needs for the beams he wants. For a 6 by 12 it takes a very staight 14 inch log . Not sure about your area but around here most 20 ft poplar will have some sweep.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

homesteader1972

Thanks for all the great comments and feedback! I have not told him anything on the price yet, he still has some homework of his own to do. I also told him i would need to come out and look at what he has got before I could give him a price. What all you have told me will help in matter much.

Thanks again!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Brucer

If I'm sawing my logs, I charge a lot more for beams than for lumber. Timbers require bigger (and often better) logs than plain lumber and they are harder to handle.

If I'm sawing the customers' logs, I charge the same amount per BF no matter what I cut. Sure, there are fewer passes of the saw to cut a beam, but it takes just as long to fetch the log, load and position it, and square up the cant as if you were making boards. The saw still had to cut through that (possibly dirty) outer shell. And you have to pay more attention to positioning the log just so.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

landscraper

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 10, 2015, 11:55:06 PM
Also consider that for beams, you need to have them square withing 1/16th at worst and preferably better. 

That's pretty darn accurate.  I just finished a complete alignment on my mill and I used a steel rule and a straight edge for my measurements. It is sawing what I consider to be straight, parallel and angular lumber, but I don't know that I could produce consistent 1/16" or better diagonal accuracy on big timbers from end to end. 

I agree that bigger beams and slabs should be no cheaper than dimensional lumber for the reasons of scarcity and added difficulty.  They should in many cases be more expensive IMO.  Even more so if you furnish the material.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

landscraper

Quote from: 4x4American on March 14, 2015, 08:18:10 PM
Really?

If you're asking me, then, yeah, really.  I mean to say that if I cut a bunch of 20' 6"x12" like the OP was talking about that I'm certain that I could find a point somewhere along the length of one of the beams where if I sawed it in half at that point and checked diagonals that it could be out 1/16".  Where a knot was, or grain slope change, internal stress, or whatever.  I'm not saying the whole beam would be out of square, that's why I check and adjust alignment.  The post I was responding to was saying that if you were sawing beams that the spec was 1/16" or less out of square, which I thought was a pretty accurate requirement for the entire length of a beam and that it was likely for there to be spots along the beam that might not be perfectly square.  My opinion FWIW.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Brad_S.

That's part of the reason it's called "rough" lumber. If the customer requires that kind of precision, they need to run it through a planer.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

Back in the day when I was the planet an in a big mill, the standard for accuracy on big beams like that was 1/4 inch for rough lumber.  Coming out of the planer, we had to be within 1/32 inch. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

customsawyer

The other thing you have to keep in mind is the longer the log or beam you are cutting the more stress can move it. I guess what I am saying is that if you have a 10' beam and it bows up of your mill then when you go to 20' you can sometimes double it. It gives the stress twice as much leverage to mess you up but it also gives you twice as much time to find it and fix it. ;) One of the things I don't like about cutting long beams is when some one wants them as close to perfect as I can get but bring in the logs and they are just large enough to get the timber. In this case you can cut to release the stress or you can cut to get the timber with the least amount of wane. You need good sized logs to be able to do both.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

jake's post says an awful lot, read it and re read it.  :) much to be learned from it.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

And if you're good you can steer the beam straight. [working with the stress most times] ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

Not when the size of the log limits what side you get to cut next. ;)
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on March 15, 2015, 09:15:12 PM
Not when the size of the log limits what side you get to cut next. ;)

If that was the case it would be to small a log to get the beam out of the log  without it all covered with wane. After some time of sawing you should be able to tell by looking at the log and know if you can get the beam you want.
Then when you have that down try cutting beams with no hart and keep them straight. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I think we need a pic of the four 40' 12"x12"s coming out of one log for Peter. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 16, 2015, 10:23:20 AM
I think we need a pic of the four 40' 12"x12"s coming out of one log for Peter. :D

I remember that pic  :D :D :D We all know what happens when you split the pith. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I have to chime in, it really means nothing, and for the most part I like dealing with folks, sawing beams of whatever size can be tricky. If
one looking for them has a hard time believing this then go ahead and saw some out.  No log acts the same, and taking 1" off to relieve the stress could not be more important.  All I can say, from a shorty beam sawyer, 20' stock, and this is long enough for me! ;D
the price for these should be based on what it takes you to get the job done.  There will be highs and lows through any job in my experience, but it pans out in the end.  To get into sawing straight out of the gate is a recipe for lots of learning.  And should be taken as that.  The mother loads comes and go for me, and I never figure one job to be the end all.  There will be times(at least for me) when you feel like you gave stock away, while other times you may feel for the customers back pocket,  For me it is tricky.  What's fair?  whatever (everyone) is happy with at the end of the day.  pretty simple around here, in other areas, there are folks that looks for FREE!  with an attitude.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

jake
thats exactly what i was thinking :D :D :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!