iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a little something different

Started by tule peak timber, March 10, 2015, 12:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

I was commissioned to design and fab a card table for a repeat customer. I was supposed to evoke the bow of an old Chris Craft runabout with multiple colors. The last table I did for these folks was a "StarWars" theme, so I threw in a little "Star Trek" on this piece. Three felt lined dice drawers hidden underneath. They haven't seen it yet.....What do you guys think ? Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

DeerMeadowFarm

downsouth

jueston

looks awesome, are you worried at all about the different rates of expansion between the different types of wood?

i really like the curved brace below the drawers, very organic looking.

WDH

I love the flow of the piece.  No corners. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Thanks all for the comments.Jueston, yes the wood expansion on the "decking' was addressed . Rob

Magicman

Exquisite.  Definition: Delicately beautiful.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bill Gaiche

Pretty assume Rob. I like the way you showed us how you installed the center piece. I bet it isn't easy to make that fit perfectly. bg

Holmes

Looks Treky to me.  Great job   I like the way it flows.  8)
Think like a farmer.

gfadvm

You nailed the " Chris Craft" look!  A beautiful tabletop with very cool underpinnings as well.

Brad_bb

Awesome looking table.  How did you "address" the shrinkage issue?  I did a simpler table last summer, gluing up some walnut boards and breadboarding  the ends.  After it was finished (October maybe), and brought it inside, over the next couple months the walnut glued up boards shrank in width just a hair over 1/8th inch.  These boards had air dried for years.  Granted it's much drier in the winter, but I was surprised how much they shrank!  I can cut the breadboard flush, but I'm wondering if it will expand all the way back come summer?  I hope not.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

I don't think that table will have major shrinkage issues. The grain of the frame is all running in the same direction as the inserts? Means it will all shrink and expand in a similar way. Different species might move a slightly different amount, but that effect is much less then the difference in long vs cross grain.  As long as the whole top is allowed to move on the supports / legs it should be OK. It might be a bit narrower in winter that's all.

Brad, as fou your breadboard. I would leave it a bit longer ( a full cycle of seasons?) and see what happens. The top is certain to grow again when the season changes. Maybe not to the original size, but maybe close. See what the range of movement is going to be, then trim it for best fit.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clww

Fantastic looking table! :)
How many hours in that build?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lowpolyjoe

Hilltop366

The word groovy comes to mind ;D Me Likes

Brad, I would leave the extra length and see what happens.

I was wondering about breadboard ends for a future project the other day and was thinking of trying something different by fastening the ends to the outside boards and leaving the centre boards to float with room for expansion and contraction. The boards would be T&G.

drobertson

Shuttle Craft to Enterprise,  Rob, that one there is makes it hard to take my eyes off, I'm thinking those folks will be very pleased,  It looks frictionless, if that makes any sense at all,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

One of the challenges that cropped up in the build was how to register flat , fill voids , sand and final finish the different parts with a brown stained frame. I wanted crisp division of colors with no bleed over and everything tight.....

Lud

Very nice table.  Very Californian if you will.....surfboardy so to speak.  But safe!  I really like for furniture to not have sharp corners/edges.   8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jueston

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 11, 2015, 08:55:57 AM
One of the challenges that cropped up in the build was how to register flat , fill voids , sand and final finish the different parts with a brown stained frame. I wanted crisp division of colors with no bleed over and everything tight.....

well it looks like you did an incredible job of meeting those challenges  :)

21incher

Awesome job. In the top picture it looks like you could tow it behind the Chris Craft and use it as a high class wake board.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

I like seeing your creations. you are very talented!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

54Dutchman

Thank you; your work inspires me to seek perfection!  You have achieved it.

Thank You Sponsors!