iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scalder

Started by coxy, March 09, 2015, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

does any one know where to buy a pig scalder    don't want to do the 55gal barrel thing   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Red Oak Lumber may know.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scleigh

beenthere

A trough and a pot to boil water... here is a video.  Or is this what you didn't want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5qZP_8zQs
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shinnlinger

I just skin the pig these days.  Much easier.....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

coxy

Quote from: beenthere on March 09, 2015, 10:46:13 PM
A trough and a pot to boil water... here is a video.  Or is this what you didn't want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5qZP_8zQs
that's what I don't want  ;D thanks

Chuck White

My Dad used to butcher lots of hogs when most of use were in our teens!

Alway scalded them.

You have to be careful to, if you get the water to hot it will "set" the bristles, then they have to be shaved.

I don't remember what the temp was, but it was pretty specific for the best scald!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

one other thing   everyone does it different what is hanging weigh  head- feet insides or no head- feet -insides  :-\

Seaman

Coxy, round these parts Hanging Weight is NO head, feet , insides.
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

WH_Conley

The custom processors around here, hanging weight is everything except the insides.
Bill

WV Sawmiller

Not into butchering hogs too much (my wife hates raised them as a kid and hates them except to eat) but looks to me like a big hot water heater tank would work fine. I'd check with local plumbers or junk dealers and tell them to let you know when one becomes available then take the tank out of the case and split it. I have one for a feed trough looks like should work if I had not drilled drain holes in it. You might check to ensure such a tank would be safe to use for such and not too contaminated with heavy metals or such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Would an old bathtub work?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

Google "Hog Kettle" and you'll get lots of info!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ford_man

A friend of mine used an old cast iron bath tub put cement blocks around it and a table even to the top on one side to lay the hog on and built a fire under it. I saw him use it once and it worked good.

Chuck White

Quote from: Ford_man on March 11, 2015, 04:37:01 PM
A friend of mine used an old cast iron bath tub put cement blocks around it and a table even to the top on one side to lay the hog on and built a fire under it. I saw him use it once and it worked good.

That's how Dad and us boys did it, only we had a 1-inch thick bowl shaped, cast iron kettle.

Our kettle used to be a casting kettle out of a foundry!

coxy

chuck do you remember what the water temp should be

kczbest

We used a 150 gallon cast iron kettle. As far as water temp we just let it reach a low boil, put in a couple of quarts of hydrated lime and never had a problem getting the hair off.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on March 11, 2015, 08:24:56 PM
chuck do you remember what the water temp should be

The water temperature for scalding a hog should be 150°.

If it gets much warmer than that, you will set the bristles and you'll end up shaving the hog rather than "removing" the entire bristle!

You DON'T add anything to the water except the hog.

Dunk the hog in the water for a couple of minutes then pull him up onto the table and see if the bristles will scrape (not cut) off, if they don't scrape off, dunk him again!

If the temperature is right, even the toe nails will come off of the dewclaws!

shinnlinger

Like I said, I just skin the pig, much easier but 150  is also the right temp for scalding chickens and right in  the range of a gas hot water heater.  I just hook one up on a stand, fill it with water and set it on high and drain the heated water into a half barrel with a turkey fryer under it on low.  A floating thermometer monitors the situation and I adjust as necessary.  You will probably need two 80 gallon jobs for the volume you need if you do it that way, but they are cheap to free if you poke around.

Another solution is cut the top of a 275 oil tank and flip it upside down over a brush fire to burn the oil out and then add the aquastat and burner set up from those gas hot water heaters and it will self regulate.  You could buy a new aquastat and burner set up and apply to a galvanized water trough or old cast bathtub too.  Perhaps even an old chest freezer that could take burners on the bottom.  IT would be insulated to hold the heat better.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pineywoods

Wrestling a scalding hot 250 pound hog out of a tub of any kind is not a pleasant experience. We all danced with joy when somebody figured out how to lash a 12 foot pole to the 3 pt lift on a ford 8n, and use that to dunk the hog vertical in an upright 55 gallon barrel with a fire under it. If the hair don't come off (usually water not hot enough) real easy to just dunk the hog again.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!