iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody afraid of heights?

Started by SawyerBrown, March 09, 2015, 10:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Just got back from a weekend in Chicago.  Had some time this morning before catching the train home, so the Mrs SawyerBrown says, "Why don't we go to the top of the Willis (Sears) Tower?"  OK.  I think she especially enjoyed pushing me out onto the skydeck, I'm not sure whether she was hoping it would break??  Anyway, I decided to take a picture of my shoes, which are a very nice color as you can see.  I must not have been too much of a chicken because there's no (obvious) pee running down my leg.  And, yes, those objects to the right are the tops of already very tall skyscrapers.

But it was a beautiful view from up there -- sunny and clear and bright ... and not stuck in traffic ...  This is looking NE out over Lake Michigan.  I can almost see your house, @Jeff.

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sandhills

Yep!  Wasn't in my earlier years but scared to death of them now, at least in certain situations  ::).  That looks like some view you had there!

coxy

if that was me there would have been more than pee  :D :D it took me over a month to get use to the log loader on the truck and still don't like it  :)

sawguy21

x2  :D I don't like being on a ladder.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NWP

I think I have permanent bruises on my arm from wife gripping it when she stepped out on that platform when we were there a couple of years ago.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

drobertson

yea, did lots of high diving back in the day, never gave it a thought, really pretty high cliffs, but now, just watching gives me the willy's
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Great pics.

I worked on the 3 tallest buildings in Denver back in the '80's. Even though they were tall, they're still only half the height of the Sears Tower.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

yukon cornelius

In my former life  ;D I rode and drove the ladder truck and did rope rescue. one fire dept. had its own tower. we dangled off ropes a lot for training. its amazing how much the wind moves a 75 or 100 foot ladder or when water is sprayed from or shut off the from the tip

Im not scared of heights or falling but im scared of hitting the ground after falling  ;D and spiders :o
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Roger2561

I used to be able climb heights with the best of them.  Something happened back in the 90's that I now cannot climb any higher than the 3 rung on a ladder (dad said it was common sense setting in).  When my oldest brother lived in NYC, the first time I went for a visit (it was a week long visit - 5 days too long - that ain't living) he took me to the Empire State Building observation deck.  There absolutely no way in heck was I going out onto the open air deck.  I scared as heck watching people looking over the edge.   My dad had a saying - If I was meant to climb, I'd been born a monkey.  Roger
Roger

coxy

I have the same saying about flying if I was ment to fly I would have been born with wings and feathers  :D :D

goose63

At my age I like my feet with in ten feet of the ground
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Raider Bill

I used to marvel at the toilet water swishing around in the bowl on the top levels of the world trade center until i realized the water was still it was the building moving.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

submarinesailor

Like many of you, when I was young heights were no problems.  I think what messed it up for me is when I had to work on the very top step of a 14' step ladder wiring EXIT lights.  You know the one labeled, "Do Not Use This Step."  After that, anything over about 8' brothers me now.

pabst79

In high school I use to try and get 30' plus when bowhunting, now I just duck hunt with my feet firmly in the marsh!  :D
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

PineNut

Heights don't bother me at all as long as I can keep one foot on level ground.

sandhills

I have 2 recurring nightmares, one is when I'm climbing very steep stairs to the nose bleed section of some event center and fall, the other is dad deciding we're going to start raising hogs again  :D, not sure which one is worse.

Magicman

My pole climbing years are well behind me.  My fear of heights has been replaced with the fear of the sudden stop at the end.  (old saying)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

It is funny, I hate being on a ladder or any similar implement of destruction yet I thoroughly enjoyed flying in helicopters, only got in with a pilot I knew and trusted though. Too many yahoos in that industry but that's another story.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

I have terrible issues with heights, but I have a plan. If I can get back under the max weight limit, I plan on a trip to Connecticut to go skydiving with @Tamiam

Nah, you can't see my house from Chicago, If I thought you could, I'd improve my camouflage defenses :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerBrown

Wait, you have issues with heights, but you're going to jump out of a perfectly good plane??  What's wrong with this picture?   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Tam-i-am

someone else said it earlier, it's not the height most of you are afraid of it is really a fear of the fall.  Jumping out of the plane is so exhilarating that you forget your fear.

The first free fall portion is exciting and a major adrenaline rush and then the chute opens and you float along -peaceful, serene and spectacular.

@Jeff after my last accident I have gained some common sense and or realization of my bodies limitations and sky diving is probably not in my future.  :(  I will take you, support you and wait for you at the bottom.  I'm sure Dee will go with you!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

sandhills

Quote from: SawyerBrown on March 10, 2015, 10:46:35 AM
Wait, you have issues with heights, but you're going to jump out of a perfectly good plane??  What's wrong with this picture?   ;D
Sorry Tamiam, but with all do respect I was going to answer his question with A LOT!  :D

Roger2561

Or, the catch phrase we used in the EMS when someone came to an abrupt stop - rapid deceleration(a.k.a splat)!  Roger
Roger

pine

Since my first attempt at climbing a robe in PE class at 12 yr of age, I have found that I had/have a fear of heights. 
After the military told me that I was going to paratrooper school I have discovered that if I have a safety line attached or have a parachute on, to stop a fall I have no fear. 

Thus what I have is a health fear of the abrupt stop.  Put me in a helicopter door with a safety harness hanging on a skid 1000 ft up no big deal, put me in a harness swinging on a cable from a tower no big deal, put me behind a sturdy railing I can look over the edge with no trepidation. 
However a ratty railing or no railing and the fear factor is extreme.
I figure it is the security of knowing that the safety devices will keep me from falling thus I am comfortable.

pigman

I got the shakes when I was on top of the highest mountain ( hill) in Michigan. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!