iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Cub

Started by Puffergas, March 09, 2015, 01:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

Added steering snubbers so it doesn't buckle too far, when turning, and damage it's self. Used chain for that. Second test run I got into the woods. It's nice to be able to steer out of a spinning wheel..!! So far so good. Next is to find the right belt length and mount the engine more rearward.

And
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mad murdock

pretty much what you got there is a ride-on self propelled arch, pretty cool creation!  I can't wait to see it pulling wood 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

enigmaT120

What a cool machine.  But is there anything left of the Cub?

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Puffergas

Quote from: enigmaT120 on February 03, 2016, 04:13:12 PM
What a cool machine.  But is there anything left of the Cub?

It's really built out of a wheel horse but if this works out I might also build one from a cub cadet. Don't ask which ones best, pros and cons for both of them.

It worked out once I got rid of all the junk that makes it hard to work on. So at this point I'm just using the trans axle, frame, steering wheel and seat. I'll add some sheet metal later.

Picked up some v belts so I should get the engine put in a better spot this weekend. Need to weld the rear portion more before I try pulling some wood. It's just tacked right now. Part of it is galvenized so I need to do that out side in the cold rain and snow..... And then the new gasifier build will be next.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Puffergas

Moved the engine back and welded the back axles up. Running out of time, I headed out into the woods and hooked up to a pole. Of course things are c clamped on and the wrong winch in the wrong place, etc etc. Had to give up taking a video just too many things to deal with. Long story short is that I can not turn too sharp because the log will hit the back wheel and act like a big brake. Poor thing took some abuse before I figured out what was going on. Well, I got the log out after that then dragged it around the barn about half a dozen times. Need to make some kind of rear bumpers for the rear tires.

The jury is still out as far as traction goes. Just need to try it more and learn how to use my new tool.

Still a long ways to go.....

Photo in the woods with the first log/pole.

A photo of the hood just setting over the engine...

At least I didn't break it..... 😉
Jeff

mark3885

Awesome machine I really like the gasifier. I have been running  Biodiesel I my truck and all my diesel equipment for 12 years now.Alternative fuels are cool and cheap, no war required. 8)

Puffergas

Dad is running the Chomper and I'm feeding them some blow down stems. Longer than I should skid but the rig did it. But the stem was close along the drive way, that helps.. the saw logs were skidded with the skid steer not the tiny rig.

https://youtu.be/d-qJbHeMzWo
Jeff

thecfarm

That is quite the rig you have there. You can seek that through the woods and not much of a need to cut a road if you hauled some short stuff out. The wife has a 30hp tractor. I use that in the woods just a little.She won't let me use too much. Mostly I put a trailer behind and I load wood on to that. She don't want me bang up her tractor. I would like to have a small tractor to haul out small wood. Can't really tell I been there with the wife's tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I'm intrigued by the design but wonder if it has enough weight in the front end to help counterbalance pulling a heavy log. Otherwise a real neat looking outfit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Puffergas

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 06, 2016, 10:14:31 AM
   I'm intrigued by the design but wonder if it has enough weight in the front end to help counterbalance pulling a heavy log. Otherwise a real neat looking outfit.

The pull point is about in the mid point between front and rear axle. So it tends not to nose over.
Jeff

coxy

that's a pretty neat rig you got there  8) 8) 8) now you have to work on a forwarder  :D :D

Puffergas

Quote from: coxy on July 08, 2016, 06:52:48 AM
that's a pretty neat rig you got there  8) 8) 8) now you have to work on a forwarder  :D :D

A forwarder has crossed my mind but I think a cart for the rear end of the log would be the next step. After that a utility vehicle with a cab would be usefull. For the rear cart would a walking beam or just larger single tires be better?
Jeff

enigmaT120

Quote from: thecfarm on July 05, 2016, 09:52:15 PM
That is quite the rig you have there. You can seek that through the woods and not much of a need to cut a road if you hauled some short stuff out. The wife has a 30hp tractor. I use that in the woods just a little.She won't let me use too much. Mostly I put a trailer behind and I load wood on to that. She don't want me bang up her tractor. I would like to have a small tractor to haul out small wood. Can't really tell I been there with the wife's tractor.

If you want to be able to drive through the woods, I know a guy who logs with a pretty beefy ATV (sorry, don't know size) pulling one of Logrite's arches.  That's probably better than a tractor.  I don't think he has to pull downhill very much though!
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Puffergas

This is about the limit under ideal conditions but going up an incline. Dead pine stem.

https://youtu.be/dxBiRHH6GqU
Jeff

mad murdock

That is a very respectable load for the size of that machine, IMO!  Good job on it, the coolest part is the woodgas power.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Gearbox

How about a 12 v actuator from surplus center for steering . Should stay rigid .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Puffergas

Thanks mad Murdock.

Gearbox, sure I think a12v actuator could be used. Ok
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!