iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Cub

Started by Puffergas, March 09, 2015, 01:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

This is the story about my micro skidder. It started out as just a bent length of bar metal with an eyelet at one end, to tie a rope to, and the other end slips into the sleeve hitch of my garden tractor.

That was simple and it did lift the end of the pole off the ground a bit.
But I got greedy and wanted a log arch with a winch so I could pull more.

I made it light weight so for backing up I could disconnect it to position it near the log.  Also, the pull point was forward of the rear cart tire axle so that helped to put a bit of weight on the rear drive axle of the tractor. I called this "load forward".  :o The trees in my stand are very close together so backing up was a pain so I gave up on the arch.

But I really like the winch so it was added to the next Thing-A-Mo-Ging.

That works nice and puts a lot of weight on the rear drive axle. It also eliminated the cart tires, less stuff to maintain. I also put larger diameter tires on the dead front steering axle. This helped a bit going over rough ground. One of the negatives it that it's easy for the front of the tractor to go air born..  ::)

Now the next version is combining a cart with the tractor or an articulated cart tractor combo....

Well, to much clicking around tonight , it's time to hit the hay...  ;)
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

thecfarm

Keep the ideas coming,you will get it the way you want it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

One of the equipment companies sells a small atv arch that has a strap winch on it. To backup in tricky places you winch the arch into the air by attaching to the atv back rack. When you get backed up drop it into place. Looks well built and practical.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

mad murdock

That last pic is kind of neat, it is starting to look like a mini Gafner Iron Mule. That is how they made them, take a Massey Ferguson tractor, take of the front, make the rear axle of the tractor the front axle of the skidder, put a drive line out the back to another axle that has the winch/arch or a bunk with a loader on it, for the forwarder version. That looks real cool!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Puffergas

Starting to add the winch.

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

hacknchop

Looks good and sturdy should do well, my 10yr old grandson wants me to either build him one or buy it! Keep up the good work thanks for the pics.
Often wrong never indoubt

Joe Hillmann

Can you put up more pictures of the connection between the tractor and the arch?

When you have a log loaded on the arch will it be adding weight or removing weight from the tractor wheels?

Puffergas

The hitch point is a bit forward of the 50% point between the rear axle and the ball hitch. So at rest it adds weight to the drive axle. When pulling if this subtracts weight from the dive axle I could rest the log on the frame and strap it down. My cart was set up this way and I always thought it worked.

Jeff

Puffergas

Hinge point.

One more.

Jeff

Puffergas

Cleaned out under the hood.

Will move the engine back and level.

Jeff

Puffergas

Strap points for serious winching.

Jeff

Puffergas

Top view.

Gas producer location.

Jeff

sawguy21

Now that is creative, I LIKE IT. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Remle

Okay, mother always said my curiosity got me into trouble, so how do you steer this thing ?? Put your foot down like Fred Flint Stone ??

Puffergas

Well, Fred steering wouldn't work out because a belly pan will be added, of some kind. It does well as a wheel chair, in the shop. I thought of brake steering but passed on it for a few reasons. The first try at it will be pulley and cables up to steering levers like on a dozer but might have to go with a steering wheel/cable-drum for more pull distance on the cables. Just might be the biggist problem.   :-\
Jeff

Puffergas

Haven't had time the last two weeks for this project but below is the beginnings of the steering.

Jeff
Jeff

kwendt

Really cool. Really cool. Hum... I wonder...
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Puffergas

I could open the shop doors to day so I though I'd make some room by pushing the tree cub out side to get some sun light on it. I think the steering might like to change direction fast with a mind of it's own because of bumpy ground. So so damping might help like the cylinders on a hatch back SUV. The other option would be a worm gear like winch to lock the steering in place. But I'll see how it works first.

Jeff
Jeff

Puffergas

Been getting the first generation tractor ready for Argos next week. So I thought I'd post a vid of today's work out.

http://youtu.be/S1LSuf3lHJM

Jeff
Jeff

beenthere

Nice run bringing the log in, and even shifted up the gears into 3rd. Didn't seem to lack for power.

Great paint job. And the old wheel horse looks like the vintage of my old 8hp '68 wheel horse. I sold it, but the buyer still mows with it and plows snow with it.

Thanks for the video, and hope you have a good show.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

That is real neat!! Wood power skidding more wood 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Puffergas

Quote from: mad murdock on May 24, 2015, 08:29:08 AM
That is real neat!! Wood power skidding more wood 8)

Thanks Mad Murdock..

Jeff
Jeff

Puffergas

Since the end of last winter I have not had any real time to work on this project. Might have been a good thing because the steering has been a real bug a boo. It kind of came together when I stripped all the sheet metal off and that gave me some room and changed things a bit.

Below is a poor vidio of the steering. Sorry about the poor quality.

http://youtu.be/g24HZ11eEJs
Jeff

Paul_H

It will be interesting to see it's maiden voyage.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Puffergas

The first test run was today. Not on wood gas, that will come later. I just have an old engine C-clamped on because I picked up the wrong size v belt do i'm using an old long belt.

http://youtu.be/YMBEFHNNsws

Still have a long way to go...
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!