iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what do you do with overset teeth on you blade

Started by ozarkgem, March 08, 2015, 09:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

while trying to figure out my new setter I over set some teeth. .030. A lot of them in fact. Its sets fast. 1 min for a blade. I tried flattening them with a hammer but that
took  a long time. I don't think I can saw with that much set. Plus its only on one side. any ideas on how to get the teeth  back straight so I can try it again?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

.030 is not that much I'm thinking, might try and give them a go for a few, if it does not work, then back off a bit, more set does or should say has caused some rougher finishes, but trial and error is the best recipe in my book, everything is different for on sawing depending on the wood and circumstances.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

I run all of my blades at .030. I would say just set the other side the same and run it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dutchman

I've had the best luck using pliers.
Don't grab the tip, they are brittle and might break.
Use pliers with a flat face, grab just below the tip
and squeeze lightly. It doesn't take much pressure.
Good luck.

4x4American

If I over set my teeth, I just use the setter backwards to un-set them.  If you overset them all evenly, you could proberly set your setter to unset them to the correct set.  Now try saying that 5x fast
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Set the other side to .030 and run them.  You might like the results.  I commonly run bands between .022 and .030
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

redprospector

I'm in the "set the other side and run em" camp. But when I do overset a few teeth I use pliers...just regular old cheap pliers, fast and easy, bend back and reset.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

I too use pliers if it's just a few.  But if I find out near the end that my dial indicator was off or something and I overset a bunch of teeth, I use the setter.  Takes longer to set up but is quicker and easier.
Boy, back in my day..

WH_Conley

Set the other side and run. Especially in softer woods. If sawing pine or Hemlock I set a t 30.
Bill

ozarkgem

Quote from: 4x4American on March 08, 2015, 10:29:30 PM
If I over set my teeth, I just use the setter backwards to un-set them.  If you overset them all evenly, you could proberly set your setter to unset them to the correct set.  Now try saying that 5x fast
Mine is automatic. I tried that . Its sets both sides in an alternating pattern an it wouldn't work. Guess I could have used my old setter. Just now dawned on me.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

terrifictimbersllc

Agree just use them at 30.  However if you're like me you will end up with some 35s too.  Use those for spruce.  :D 

When you have too many spruce blades and even before, like when you have some 45s,  :o :o :o make one of these as PDrouin and others have done.  One pass of a blade through will make all my teeth 19-20.  That's great for frozen but also for uniform setting to whatever.

I added a roller so there are 3 on each side now, since the picture.  Those are old 5/8 cam bolts and bearings from my WM LT40 blade guide arm assembly.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ozarkgem

good idea. I will make one of those. Thank you

kelLOGg

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 09, 2015, 05:28:45 AM
When you have too many spruce blades and even before, like when you have some 45s,  :o :o :o make one of these as PDrouin and others have done.  One pass of a blade through will make all my teeth 19-20.  That's great for frozen but also for uniform setting to whatever.

I added a roller so there are 3 on each side now, since the picture.  Those are old 5/8 cam bolts and bearings from my WM LT40 blade guide arm assembly.

I think it is a good idea, too. As you roll the band through the bearings I assume you have to allow for the teeth to spring back some. So, what roller clearance to you allow for the 19-20 set?

I use this little device which I learned of on the FF. Just slip the slot over the tooth and bend back. OK for a few teeth but a lot and I would use the roller idea.
bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

terrifictimbersllc

Didn't measure any clearance . That's what I got first time I set it up, didn't change it .
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Quote from: ozarkgem on March 09, 2015, 05:07:48 AM
Mine is automatic. I tried that . Its sets both sides in an alternating pattern an it wouldn't work. Guess I could have used my old setter. Just now dawned on me.

What kind of setter do you have the WM one?
Boy, back in my day..

ozarkgem

Quote from: 4x4American on March 09, 2015, 08:22:18 AM
Quote from: ozarkgem on March 09, 2015, 05:07:48 AM

What kind of setter do you have the WM one?
Its a Moon saw shop setter and sharpener.

4x4American

Oh ok.  I have no experience with that one, but they look cool from what I can see online.  On my Cook's, what I do is back the bender units all the way out.  Then line it up with one side, so that the bender unit is bending the tooth the other way.  Then I will set it to where it will unset the overset and try to nail the set that I wish to achieve.  Then I un-over-re-set the teeth on that side.  Then I do the same thing on the other side.  Works well for me, and the ladies love it  8)
Boy, back in my day..

pineywoods

OK, I'll ask the dumb question, How do teeth get over set ? MY setter has a stop at max set. Adjust that so .29 is max, and set every tooth to max. Don't need the dial indicator, took it off...Works good, quick...wm setter....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

4x4American

Well there's alot of ways.  It's spring steel for one, and you're goal is to push it to the right spot that when it comes back it will stay where you want it.  If you push it too far, you have an over set tooth.

If you forget to adjust the height from a different band that had a taller tooth, it will be pushing from a lower spot, over setting the tooth.

If you set the bender dies out too far, you have an over set tooth.

If your weld joint gives you a bad pattern, you can get an overset tooth.

I'm gonna start calling them a buck tooth, cause it makes sense, cents, and dollars.
Boy, back in my day..

ozarkgem

Quote from: pineywoods on March 09, 2015, 09:28:02 PM
OK, I'll ask the dumb question, How do teeth get over set ? MY setter has a stop at max set. Adjust that so .29 is max, and set every tooth to max. Don't need the dial indicator, took it off...Works good, quick...wm setter....
Not sure how far mine will set. 030 for sure. It will set tooth spacing from 1/16 of an inch up to 1 inch. Blades up to 2" wide.

Thank You Sponsors!