iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas cutting 'issue'

Started by sigidi, March 08, 2015, 06:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

After recently reading through the forum, I got to thinking, there's a tendency to post things when there are issues or problems, but we don't often tend to post when things are not an issue/problem.

I'm cutting a bunch of 250x50mm (10"x2") at the moment and they are bundled together in packs of 18 - 3 wide and 6 high...

Had someone enquire about how accurate they where, (bearing in mind we are trying to push these out as fast as we can - the more we cut, the more we get paid) just off the cuff while I was on the phone I decided to go out to the packs and throw a tape over them. The packs should be 750mm wide and 300mm high and industry standards down here allow plus or minus 3mm per peice for rough saw timber...So for the pack, that could mean a span between 741mm - 759mm wide and between 282mm-318mm...

Pretty good issue to deal with I reckon  ;) 8) gotta love that Lucas  ;D I hope all you other Lucas operators have to deal with this 'issue'  :D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

dgdrls

Same challenge with mine
The Darn thing  cuts the dimension I dial-in which is where
any problems I have start  :D

Looks like your getting the challenges worked out.

Best
DGDrls

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

yeah, very good to have that confidence, the machine gives you what you ask of it  8)

logboy

Ive had this conversation a few times, usually with guys that are turning my lumber into moulding. "You need to cut your lumber to 1-1/8" to account for the waviness in the lumber." No, I dont. I'm running a Lucas, not a bandsaw.  ;D
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Dave Shepard

And I reply, "No I don't, I'm using a bandsaw and know how to use it!". :D

Those are some really neat, orderly looking bundles. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: logboy on March 08, 2015, 04:10:48 PM
Ive had this conversation a few times, usually with guys that are turning my lumber into moulding. "You need to cut your lumber to 1-1/8" to account for the waviness in the lumber." No, I dont. I'm running a Lucas, not a bandsaw.  ;D
I tell them need the 1-1/8 to get 3/4 for flooring, maybe not moulding though, not because of waves but because of wood movement on drying in many of the boards.  And it's what the flooring makers they take it to, tell me to make it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

logboy

The people who tell me this make it clear its because theyre used to dealing with wavy lumber.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

I had a call just last night, fella kept telling me I was going have to cut 8x8 cants, then resaw them into 2x8s for him to use. We never did agree on how to run my saw! ::)
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

Quote from: Seaman on March 09, 2015, 07:37:08 AM
I had a call just last night, fella kept telling me I was going have to cut 8x8 cants, then resaw them into 2x8s for him to use. We never did agree on how to run my saw! ::)
FRank

:snowball: ow dear, shouldn't laugh, but are you going to be cutting timber for him?

Seaman

No, Sidigi, turns out he has a friend with a circle mill, he just wanted to avoid moving the logs.
And of course he was guessing at the dia. , so no telling the true size of the logs. Plus he had no idea how expensive it was gonna be for me to drive 3 hours and spend the day with him !

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

woodyone.john

Hi Sig, what you cutting them for, stair treads?
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

sigidi

Quote from: Seaman on March 10, 2015, 08:42:29 AM
No, Sidigi, turns out he has a friend with a circle mill, he just wanted to avoid moving the logs.
And of course he was guessing at the dia. , so no telling the true size of the logs. Plus he had no idea how expensive it was gonna be for me to drive 3 hours and spend the day with him !

FRank

Yeah we are a lovely bunch to spend the day with, but most folkes don't appreciate how much that may cost 'em  ;)

Quote from: woodyone.john on March 11, 2015, 04:26:03 AM

Hi Sig, what you cutting them for, stair treads?

Yep, step treads. I can sell them for a lot more to walk in, retail customers, but I can't shift 12-15 cubic metres of them retail each month. This chap will take as much as I can cut for him - ultimately I'm wanting to do a b-double each month, then I could start to pay myself  8)

woodyone.john

then I could start to pay myself  8)
know what ya mean,I now prefer to saw trees/logs in and around the city than spend more time on nthe phone trying to place product!
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

sigidi

Quote from: woodyone.john on March 13, 2015, 05:49:31 PM
then I could start to pay myself  8)
know what ya mean,I now prefer to saw trees/logs in and around the city than spend more time on nthe phone trying to place product!

John, I have no trouble selling the product, just been left in a mess after the partnership dissolved and slowly digging myself out

Thank You Sponsors!