iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic log turners

Started by Paul_H, August 29, 2004, 05:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Can anybody show me some pic or diagrams of log turners for a band mill?I was doing a search on the hyd chain turners,but couldn't find any pics.

It seems to me that there was a thread that dealt with turners awhile back.Any help would be appreciated.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

If you want Paul I'll snap some pics of the one on my woodmizer. Anything in particular you want closeups of?

jpad_mi

Dick Jasinski from New York posted pics of a homemade log turner a few months back on that other sawmilling forum. He has put together a few great articles detailing his construction of hydraulic features on his purchased mill. Complete with parts lists, sources and prices. He was kind enough to send me the info just for asking. Really good stuff; I wish I had them before I started building my mill! I'm not sure if he is a FF member or not, but here's a link to his post:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl?read=345226
Jeff P. in Michigan

Paul_H

Thanks Norm

If you could,please get some closeups of the turner itself ie: motor,hyd cyl or anything to get a general idea of how it works.
I'm starting work tomorrow for a guy that built his own band mill and he has it plumbed for a hydraulic turner but wasn't sure what type to build for it.The mill will take up to a 48" log,and I don't relish the idea of trying to spin one of those around with a peavy :D

Thanks for the link Jeff P

Paul_H

Here is the mill I will be running for awhile.Bob(mill owner) couldn't find a mill to cut his logs for his cabinet shop,so he drew up the plans for this mill and built it in 6 weeks.He buys oversize D-Fir and saws all the VG he can get.The mill is powered by a water cooled diesel out of a VW Jetta.

The log on the mill is 36" on the small end.It was my first time running a band mill and I'm looking forward to the learning curve.

Gilman

That sure looks like fun Paul.

How did you get that slab lifted into place?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

AtLast

Not only log turners...but after seeing that Select mill...Id SEWRIOUSALLY consider puttin a set of them log rollers on my levelers...what a GREAT idea

Paul_H

Gilman,

The particular chunk was placed there with the frontend loader.I slid the forks underneath and squeezed it with the apron.With the boom lifted up and the forks tilted right down,it fit on the mill nicely.It went the rest of the way into position with the help of peavy and the hyd clamps.

It is fun 8)

AtLast,

The roller sound like just they are just the ticket to move slabs and beams around.

Buzz-sawyer

hey Paul....looks like fun hope you are enjoying the work! 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paul_H

Thanks Buzz,I am enjoying it so far.One thing that will take some getting used to,is the DanG bands flop all over when you change them.Today,for no good reason the band flipped out and bit me on the end of the nose when I was trying to put it on.

I had a hard time not taking it personal :D

Buzz-sawyer

Youch!   That is tough :o a nose job w/o anethesia ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

GF

Here are some pics of the ones I made, if they dont show much detail send me an email and I can send you some higher resolution images. Also have one of the leveler.

Thank You Sponsors!