iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting started sugaring

Started by loggah, March 07, 2015, 08:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

The other day i fired up my old D5 and plowed out the road to the sugarhouse,were going to start tapping out toward the end of the week! Heres a few pictures ,about 2' of snow right now. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

That does look nice. I don't plan on doing it this year, But we will miss it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

This sounds like an exciting time Don.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Going in on snowshoes, or tromp through the deep snow?  Either way, sounds like a good workout.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Got a little over 300 of our 1,200 taps in today!

Not running, but they're in. 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

loggah

My brother Ray has a 4 wheeler with mattracks, he drove around thru the maples making some pretty nice trails to follow. ;D we only put in around 300 taps and can do it all in one day.I think we will be sugaring into April this year. ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

timberlinetree

Nice looking surgar shack! Snow shoes a must for us while tapping with 2'-3' feet on the ground. I must have hit a snow cave, even with shoes on my foot sank all the way up to my thy. This week is looking really good around here for sap flow. Steam from a sugar shack is one of my favorite signs of spring. 8)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

GAB

Put in 46 taps yesterday.
So far the only place the sap is running is in my nose.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

bhall

loggah, that is a very nice sugar shack. Yesterday the sap started to run a bit better, should have some to gather today to start making steam. Wish you a good season.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

Chuck White

Still not running here worth a hoot!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

loggah

Chuck, we got all the buckets and tubing done today! 330 taps and a few were dripping. tomorrow well put the stack and pans on the arch,clean up the sugarhouse, put the platform on the tractor for the gathering tank basically be all ready to go,still 1 1/2' of snow.

Chuck White

We've kept our roads cleared for the past month or so!

When we started clearing them, in places we had over 3 feet of snow!

We are all ready now, just need sap!

bhall

We gathered 70 gallon yesterday which is half what I thought we would get. Sure is a difference from last year. Good luck to you all up north.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

loggah

Finished getting everything ready this morning, now all we need is sap !! ;D

Chuck White

Checked the barrels today and a few of them are half full, 3-4 are 3/4 full and the rest have from 3 to 6 inches in them.

Not enough to gather, we'll gather tomorrow and may have enough to fire up!

If we gathered now, we'd have around 175 gallons, not quite enough to fire up!

Thank You Sponsors!