iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An easy day of sawmilling

Started by Ga Mtn Man, March 07, 2015, 06:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Sometimes the small jobs can be a nice change of pace.  It was a perfect day of sawmilling in north GA;  beautiful blue skies, temps in the 60's, an easy setup, a very nice customer, and a few good poplar logs.  Four hours of sawing and I was headn' home with a check in the wallet and a jar of my customers honey as an extra bonus food6.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

justallan1

Sounds like a great day indeed.

Magicman

Looking good.  No need to use up your "clamping fluid" in that first picture.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2015, 07:47:47 PM
Looking good.  No need to use up your "clamping fluid" in that first picture.   ;D
:D :D
did that today once no one saw it
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I did not do it today, but I did yesterday if that counts.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

Now there is just no excuse for not clamping a log down with a hydraulic mill. ;D. I have a good excuse...mine's manual.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

Pretty orange mill you have there  food6

Sounds like a great day.  It was warm here today too, 31° high.  I love sawing tulip what was he using the lumber for did he tell you?
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Paul,

It was a nice day for sawing in Georgia.  I sawed some nice red oak, myself. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

danny
you probably used my edger too didn't ya? ;D use it carefully and wash it when your done :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 07, 2015, 08:58:44 PM
danny
you probably used my edger too didn't ya? ;D use it carefully and wash it when your done :)

Oh my side Steve........you're killing me!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WDH

If y'all knew the whole story, you would be crying too.   smiley_crying
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on March 07, 2015, 09:07:00 PM
If y'all knew the whole story, you would be crying too.   smiley_crying

popcorn_smiley    Well :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Rid your soul of the burden. Tell it all brother, tell it all.  :D

WDH

The sordid details will come out in due time. 

red oaks lumber

you know the story thats why your crying :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Testify! I'll listen.....

I'm all ears.

flatrock58

Would have been a nice day to cut some lumber.  I was so nice out.  Spent the day cleaning up dead rotten beetle killed trees.  The next nice weekday I will be back to sawing!  According to the weather man that might be a while.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

customsawyer

Paul I'm glad you had a good day. Would you have any interest in a edger.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on March 07, 2015, 10:51:38 PM
Would you have any interest in a edger.  :D

...and it gets DEEPER!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2015, 07:47:47 PM

:D :D :D I hadn't even noticed that!  I like to keep the clamp where I can see it.  ;D   

In my defense, the log was flat on two sides, so....
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: customsawyer on March 07, 2015, 10:51:38 PM
Paul I'm glad you had a good day. Would you have any interest in a edger.  :D

As a matter of fact I'm very interested in an edger.  But I will need to know its full history before even considering it.  :P

Magicman

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 08, 2015, 06:56:14 AMIn my defense, the log was flat on two sides, so....
I noticed that too, but at least you had your side supports low enough.   ;D

Ga Mtn Man

Would you like to make a confession?  I hear it's good for the soul.

Magicman

Not me.  Confessions need to come from Georgia.   :D

Ga Mtn Man

Magicman

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

WDH

This does not have anything to do with a woman  :)

timberfaller390

Just meant you should tell us all about it.  ;D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

WDH

In due time  :).  I am too traumatized to talk about it now.  A man can only take too much when it comes to losing an edger.

Larry

You lost an edger?  Edger's are awful big things to loose. ;D

Maybe the goat can help you find it or another one. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 08, 2015, 08:00:44 PM
In due time  :).  I am too traumatized to talk about it now.  A man can only take too much when it comes to losing an edger.

Have you tried Craig's List?  running-doggy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Sawdust can pile up pretty high, and you can lose things in it.  However, that is not the problem in this case. 

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

I thought customsawyer gave you one. How many do you need?  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ga Mtn Man

This story needs it's own thread.  It's way too intriguing for my silly little "Easy day of sawmilling" thread.  Some seem to know more than the rest about the happenings in middle GA.  WDH, when you're ready to talk, we're here for you.

Magicman

I would rather see a picture, but that may be unlikely.   ;D

Ga Mtn Man

An easy day of sawmillng, part 2:

On the way home Saturday afternoon, I dropped the mill off at another customer's location.  This was a customer that I had done a small job for back in November and they had asked me to come back with my log arch to pull some nice red oak logs across their garden, hopefully without doing too much damage to the garden.  I returned on Sunday with my log arch and winch and had another very nice few hours of "logging" and sawmilling.  A delicious lunch was provided that included several items from the customer's winter garden.  Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.  :)

Me "steering" the log onto the path through the garden.  GRUNT!  The arch is being used in the fetching configuration.

This is the arch being used in the tow-tongue configuration.   

Sawing two nice oak logs and one not so nice.   

Magicman

i like your dual arch configuration.   smiley_thumbsup

Sixacresand

Glad you had some good sawing days, GMM.  What could come out of a N. GA winter garden besides collards or turnips, which are a good meal by themselves with corn bread   :D. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

She called it her winter garden but I suspect some things were grown in the fall and put into the freezer.  There was broccoli, collard greens, sweet potato, blue corn bread, and baked salmon. 

WDH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 09, 2015, 07:24:52 AM

He is an Indian giver  :)

Paul,

Collard greens and pot liquor with cornbread.  Nice. 

red oaks lumber

well danny i almost feel sorry for ya, almost :) that new to me edger will fit in with the rest of the horses in my stable. thanks jake!!! when i come down danny i'll bring you some genuine wisconsin velveta cheese so you'll have cheese to go with your whine 8)

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 09, 2015, 08:29:34 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 09, 2015, 07:24:52 AM

He is an Indian giver  :)

BIG Chief Sitting Jake.  :D :D :D

shakebone

Lots of good things come outta n ga ! Especially cooking !!!
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

customsawyer

Just for the record it was never a gift I just asked him to babysit it for a while. Just like most things we all read the same story and it then gets told differently.  :D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on March 10, 2015, 04:51:36 AM
Just for the record it was never a gift I just asked him to babysit it for a while. Just like most things we all read the same story and it then gets told differently.  :D

:D :D :D :D  That's right, babysitting. I remember now, Sorry Jake.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jake struck a nerve though.  8) 8) 8)

red

WDH don't babysitters usually get paid?  ?   ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red oaks lumber

in the wood world payment should be in the form of an edger ;D

Thank You Sponsors!