iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it just me, or does everyone have this problem?

Started by redprospector, March 06, 2015, 11:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

I messed up and knocked a band off the wheels today (I know that no one else has ever done that.  ;)) I took a look at the belts on the band wheels and decided that I had better replace them. I went into town and after going to the 5 different parts stores I came up with 1, count em, one B-62 belt. The store where I usually get them had the one. The guy at the counter said that he couldn't remember the last time that he had ordered that size. I went back after trying all the other parts stores and had him order me another one.
Does everyone have this kind of problem with getting stores to stock wear parts that you replace fairly often, or is it just me?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't have this particular problem. I order my B-57 from Woodmizer and order before they wear out.
You probably already do this but just kick the Goat to the side if I'm butting you a little....but do you rotate your belts to make them last longer?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandsawmill14

I have had the same problem so i try to keep an extra set . but our local parts house is pretty good at stocking what you tell him to but thats the catch you have to tell him to. 90% of the time you will have to order the first one but he will order extra for stock if you tell him it is a consumable so he will have it the next time. :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

redprospector

I never even thought about rotating them, so I guess not. Are you just turning them around? It looks like I learned something new to try, from an old goat.  ;)
I usually buy belts before they're worn out, but it slipped up on me this time. I didn't think much of it because they always had them, and he said he kept them in stock for me, since I use them regularly. I guess he just had a whole bunch of them that I've been using up over the last 10 years.  :D
He even had to order an oil filter, and I've bought one every couple of months on a regular basis.
I guess it's just a mater of economics. It's cheaper for him to order when I need it, than to keep money tied up in inventory.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 06, 2015, 11:35:42 PM
I have had the same problem so i try to keep an extra set . but our local parts house is pretty good at stocking what you tell him to but thats the catch you have to tell him to. 90% of the time you will have to order the first one but he will order extra for stock if you tell him it is a consumable so he will have it the next time. :)
Yeah, that was what took me by surprise. I built my mill in 98 or 99, and bought the belts from this guy from the git go. I guess I just need to keep a couple on hand.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redprospector on March 06, 2015, 11:42:08 PM
I never even thought about rotating them, so I guess not. Are you just turning them around?

At the beginning of each month, I take the belt off, turn it around so it will be turning the opposite way that it has been turning. Sometimes I even put them back on the opposite wheel. Once I get them off, I like to check my groove in the steel wheels for any build up of sap to other debris. I also check the belts for cuts or nicks that the blade may have caused if it broke while sawing.
All this just takes a few minutes......but this is how I do it.

Bandmill Bandit

I keep a spare set in my band box at all times. Spare drive belt, spare alternator belt and spare wheel belts.

Have not changed an alternator belt sine i went the the NAPA premium XL series in just over 700 hours. the ones WM factory uses factory new lasted about 100 to 120 hours max and few didnt make 50 hours. Napa Dealer where i get most of my parts came out and looked at my mill because I bought 3 belts in the 2 week one time.

I just happened to be installing the 3rd belt when he showed up. He  said not to put it on and took it from me and  went back to the shop and came back with the premium XL belt about a half hour later and that belt is still turning the alternator and that was about 10 days after I did most of the major mods I did. Also went to a gates B57 on the idler wheel and a B56 on the drive wheel. these are the flat back belts that WM uses but i did go to a higher grade kevlar belt at Dons advice as well current belts have around 500 hrs on em and I am thinking a change is in with next oil change which is in  order in 93 hours. 

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

How do you woodmizerers like the loose belts?  I need to change my belts and I think I'm going to switch to the loose design for ease of replacement.  They sent me a belt when they heard that my belts need replacement and I can't find any around here  :)  So I guess I'll change the drive side and see if that works...
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

I run a tight one on the drive side and loose one on the idler side. been doing that now for about 700 hrs. Love it. I just cut it out to change the drive side and soak the new tight one in ATF for about a half hour to put the new one on. 

Your changing wheel belts at less than 200 hours???

I have rubber bands that would last that long! LOL
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on March 06, 2015, 11:55:14 PM
They sent me a belt when they heard that my belts need replacement and I can't find any around here  :)  So I guess I'll change the drive side and see if that works...

Changing just one side may not give you the true feedback of the loose belt unless you put loose belts on both the drive side and idle side.

You wouldn't play basketball with one basketball shoe on one foot and a cowboy boot on the other
would you?  :D :D :D :D :D :D

But if it works for BANDMILL BANDIT, it may work for you.  :)

redprospector

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 06, 2015, 11:50:41 PM
Quote from: redprospector on March 06, 2015, 11:42:08 PM
I never even thought about rotating them, so I guess not. Are you just turning them around?

At the beginning of each month, I take the belt off, turn it around so it will be turning the opposite way that it has been turning. Sometimes I even put them back on the opposite wheel. Once I get them off, I like to check my groove in the steel wheels for any build up of sap to other debris. I also check the belts for cuts or nicks that the blade may have caused if it broke while sawing.
All this just takes a few minutes......but this is how I do it.
Sounds pretty interesting. I think I'll give it a shot. Won't cost much to try it, and I'm always game to learn something new.

Bandmill Bandit

Red I flip my loose one every time I change a band if I dont for get. so probably about  1 time a day in reality and clean the grove as well. Generaly have 4 bands in the sharpen rotation and that does 2 long days of cutting baring errors and metal.

redprospector

My belts are neither tight, nor loose. When I built my mill I bought 20" sheaves, the B-62 slips on pretty easy but isn't as loose as a B-57 on a Wood-Mizer. It seems to work pretty good though. The worst part that I engineered into this mill is the operator.  :D

redprospector

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on March 07, 2015, 12:11:33 AM
Red I flip my loose one every time I change a band if I dont for get. so probably about  1 time a day in reality and clean the grove as well. Generaly have 4 bands in the sharpen rotation and that does 2 long days of cutting baring errors and metal.
I don't know why I never thought to rotate the belts. Just that I didn't think, I guess.
I don't get quite that kind of time out of a blade, but I blame it on being so close to the White Sands National Monument. Every spring, with the help of our winds, the White Sands try to move into the Lincoln National forest.  :D
No joke though, our trees that grow on the west slopes are imbedded with white sand.  :(

Chuck White

I believe Wood-Mizer recommends rotating your B-57 belts from drive to idle side and vice-versa.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Amazon is a good place to find Goodyear belts.   Good price, free shipping.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

It depends where your doing your belt shopping A,B,C,D, series are industrial sizes and are common in industrial supply houses, the places that sell pulleys, bearings and seals. Auto parts outlets sell "'automotive " series belts although some carry a few industrial series belts. Most auto parts stores know little about belts unless you can give them a make and model of an auto, A/C or not. Grangers or Mc Master Carr are good places especially if you live in the boonies as they will mail order. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rooster 58

Every time I change a band on the 70,  I rotate the belts from drive to idle side and vice versa.  I also flip the belts so they turn in the opposite direction ;)

homesteader1972

Bandmill Bandit,(or anyone else who runs them) What difference are you seeing running the tight belt?
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Magicman

I flip mine and also change wheels with them, but there is no order or system.  I run B57 (loose belts) and always get them from WM.  I also keep spare belts for everything on hand.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Since the economic downturn from the late 2000's most if not all Parts Houses in just about all industries
only stock what moves quickly.  No-one wants their cash tied up in parts that sit around for months on end.

My Lucas is due belts when the snow is gone, I'll purchase/order before then just in case it's the same story.

DGDrls

petefrom bearswamp

Tried b56 belts a few years ago and didnt notice any thing different except the hassle of installation.
I check the wheel groove each blade change wen sawing pitchy wood.
Now stick with WM Goodyear b57.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

redprospector went through your part of the country 2 weeks ago.  Stoped at white sands. Sure different than my part of the country.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 07, 2015, 07:01:08 AM
It depends where your doing your belt shopping A,B,C,D, series are industrial sizes and are common in industrial supply houses, the places that sell pulleys, bearings and seals. Auto parts outlets sell "'automotive " series belts although some carry a few industrial series belts. Most auto parts stores know little about belts unless you can give them a make and model of an auto, A/C or not. Grangers or Mc Master Carr are good places especially if you live in the boonies as they will mail order. Frank C.

You are right on NAPA in most regions unless you live in rural western Canada.  The smaller towns and villages in this country have the largest of the NAPA stores and most of those have  "AG & OILFEILD SUPPLY" right on their store sign. Haven't been in one that doest do hydraulic hose repair and some build up to 3 inch hose and high pressure water hosing for the water and and hydro-vac trucks up to 8 inch.

I have found that if they don't have they will have it next morning it ordered before 4PM. The store I use most of the time has on their sign " IF we CANT get it you don't need it"! 

Te Guy that owns it also owns a 8 bay oil field service shop with 30 for ceiling and long enough to hold a mid sized drilling and service rig. He is building a new shop for doing AG equipment repair too.   

4x4American

Those Napas sound awesome, BBandit.  The napa here is great and they are knowledgable.  There are some good hydraulic places around here for hydraulics.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!