iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-53 govenor broke a shaft

Started by rick f, March 06, 2015, 07:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Well get by one problem and into the next. Had the old girl charging full steam ahead and let off on the throttle, she was still full bore ahead. Had the valve cover off so the mechanic could see what was wrong. He says it broke a shaft. Pulled it off now to find one. He says they can't be fixed . Someone must refurbish them. Any one got a link or idea's? oh it is a DW-LS type.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

treeslayer2003

i ain't never seen this happen.......used governor is the answer and must be retuned.

dgdrls

rick f

Thanks guys. I found a guy out side of Bangor that rebuids them. He said he would have a look at it if I brought it into his shop. Maybe a Road trip on Tuesday.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

dgdrls

Quote from: rick f on March 07, 2015, 12:25:29 PM
Thanks guys. I found a guy out side of Bangor that rebuids them. He said he would have a look at it if I brought it into his shop. Maybe a Road trip on Tuesday.

let us know how it works out for you, 

best
DGDrls

nk14zp

Any parts out of the old one Danny has work?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

rick f

NK  danny's is a vs style, I'm is a ls. I knocked on your door about 9:30 thursday morning to see if you could help me out, I think you were sleeping after your night job.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

rick f

THIS IS THE OLD ONE THAT HE WILL LOOK AT AND HOPEFULLY FIX.

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

dgdrls

I was curious about the Type Stamp DW-LS

The Google Machine found this chart
of DD Governor acronyms

L.S. Limiting speed 
V.S. Variable speed 
D.W. Double weight
S.W. Single weight 
T.T.  Torque tailored

DGDrls

rockwall

Good luck with the rebuild, i just looked at the governor in my detroit which is in a 1977 664B and it is identical to yours even the model number. I think my machine was a Great Northern machine when it was new and then came to central Maine in 1984, it was bought from Chadwick Baross for $24,000.

rick f

Rockwall, Mine came from Scott paper, then a guy in Eddington onto my wifes uncle then me. I got mine for 2700.00 from his son. It has and is a very good machine. This is the first motor issue other then fuel filter sucking air. The guy that is going to look at it has a equipment repair shop in Dixmont.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

rick f

Quote from: dgdrls on March 08, 2015, 07:38:26 AM
I was curious about the Type Stamp DW-LS

The Google Machine found this chart
of DD Governor acronyms

L.S. Limiting speed 
V.S. Variable speed 
D.W. Double weight
S.W. Single weight 
T.T.  Torque tailored 

DGDrls

Not a whole lot of info on the net about them or repairing them that I found.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

bushmechanic

rick f those governors can be repaired no problem. Which shaft is broken, the one going from the top to the bottom or the lower one with the weights on it? Too bad your not closer I could pop it apart and fix it for you. If you decide to fix it yourself I'd be glad to walk you through it.

dgdrls

Not a whole lot of info on the net about them or repairing them that I found.

I did find this fellows archives

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Detroit-Diesel/

rick f

dgdrls that was the best link that I could find. I added it to my faverites for future use.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

rick f

Here  an update.  Went to the repair shop in Dixmont this morning. We got there and had to wait for the guy only, only because I didn't call him last night  to tell him I was coming this morning. He came back to his shop put it on his bench ( one very clean bench) and started at it. disassembled it in 10 minutes said he could fix it. He showed me the broken part  a thrust bearing on the weight shaft. A set of fingers rides in the middle of the bearing and open and closes the rack. I said well how long to get the part, Paul said all I have to do is walk to the back of the shop and get a new one, WOW parts in stock. He washed the parts all up dryed them and put it back together. all in about 45 minutes. Sent me home with new gaskets for it to. all this for a little over 150.00 bucks. This man has all my praise as he has more parts in that shop then anyone will ever need. He rebuilds engines also. Super nice guy, glad I was sent to him.
Thank you  for all the help offed on this forum, great place with a lot of help.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

dgdrls

There is nothing better than a competent mechanic with parts at hand 8)

Awesome!!

DGDrls

bushmechanic

Well that's great I guess you have a Detroit guy next to you and now you can get back to hauling wood!

Ed_K

I know that feeling, isn't it great  8) .
Ed K

treeslayer2003

snowstorm

rick where in dixmont is the garage?

rockwall

rick f

Snowstorm sent you a PM

Up and screaming again 8)
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

rockwall

I can hear it from here! Could you PM me the name of the mechanic or garage name, I'm only  45 min. away from Dixmont.

Thank You Sponsors!