iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A fun visit with John and Troy

Started by Tom, March 06, 2002, 06:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The past two days have been like a vacation.  I had a cancellation and ended up at a friends sawmill to visit.  He looked at my mill and decided he could fix some nagging problems so he got out his welder and started to work.  Fixing one spot after the other, he found things that I didn't even know had broken and some were drastic problems that would have left me on the road with my sawmill in two pieces.  

Feeling a little inadequate I began setting and sharpening blades for his Dad's woodmizer.

Once the mill was repaired,  I set it up in the yard and we sawed cypress job that was due.  We visited and I returned home about 7pm.  His dad, Troy,eighty-one, is an interesting sawyer with lots of tales.  John is a retired welder who builds trailers and messes with circle mills.  He has a Corley 4045 under roof that he uses on occassion to cut cants for his dad's WM.

Today I went back and coerced him to run my mill. He cut a pine log and has decided that he is going to build him a mill like this. Except he has no reason to put it on the road and will make it stationary under roof.

I took this picture of John, one of his friends and his dad, Troy as John was telling us about the sawdust chain he was going to build from his dad's old Model T, one ton, rear end.

I left about 6pm and came home with my fixed mill and instructions to bring it back so that he could fix some of the other stuff that he thinks would make it more road worthy.  It was a great time for me because I forget what it's like to just visit, goof off and have unsolicited favors done without an invoice waiting on the other end.

Bud Man

Tom -- I'd liked to have been able to hear the conversation  :P from you 4 old salty dogs  :D :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!