iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slow, green, newbie intro

Started by bhall, March 05, 2015, 06:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhall

This introduction is long overdue, for I was on this site as a guest for nearly ½ a year, then registered as oldwillie for about a year, now signed on as bhall, short for Bob Hall. Most likely I have logged well over a hundred hours enjoying the rich environment of the FF. Then I realized how inconsiderate I was being, taking but not giving, time to make it a two way street. As many other new members have commented, it is truly amazing to see such a vast contribution of knowledge, skill, experience, and opinion. Never did I think that there were so many people out there with attitudes, values & interest as what is found here, people that see and realize the beauty & value in nature, folks that show respect for life and exhibit such generous consideration for others.  Jeff I commend you for starting this forum and maintaining it in the manner in which you do and I am very grateful to you & all the administrators for my being accepted here. 
  Last September my full time employment ended, I was a maintenance manager/plant engineer for a small manufacturing facility. They hired me on a consulting basis for another year so now I am only working sorta part time. This will allow me to put more effort into farming, gardening, building, and various projects and repairs at home.
  Own a small farm, about 35 acres of woodland and 35 of crop fields. The woods are made up of Cherry; Maple; White Ash; Tulip Poplar; Quacking Aspen; Yellow, Gray & Black Birch; Beechnut; Hop Hornbeam; Hornbeam; Basswood & Service berry. I have some knowledge of dendrology and try to practice proper forestry while I am the temporary caretaker of this land. Since I was knee high I always had some interest in trees, wood, stone & different crafts involving such and I was fortunate to have family & friends as good teachers. On this property I am certainly fortunate to have lots of trees & stone to work with, I am a lucky man.
  Always had a hankeren for a sawmill. A fella brought his WM LT15 over about 12 years ago; we milled a little over 3,000 bf, poplar, cherry & maple. And of course I was bit by the bug. Last year Marty Parsons gave me a DanG good deal on the mill of my dreams & now I am the happy owner, I took Happy Campers advice to wait no longer, just do it. Doubtful that I will sale much that is milled, I do a lot of trading:    syrup or hay for beef; potatoes for eggs; apples & cider for baked goods; corn or fire wood for whatever; etc.
  The trees that I will drop and mill into lumber & beams are intended for the building of a sawmill shed; a fire wood shed, a new maple syrup sugar shack , a new hay barn, a corn crib, some furniture & maybe a Pineywoods solar kiln. It should prove to be a most enjoyable time. Also will be giving the mill to a nephew for building a timber frame home & barn. Some structures will be timber frame, some pole & some mixed and one log. There is much repair work to be done on the house, truck, tractors & implements not to mention planting & harvesting. So maybe, just maybe I might get one of these projects finished this year.  As time moves on you will see my posts on other threads and of course with pictures. One last note, I can not remember the last time I smiled & laughed as much as I often do here on the FF.
Thank full to be a new member,
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Well, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, bhall (again)!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Bob, glad to have you back on FF!  You described well what a great place we have here with The Forestry Forum.  8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Welcome back again bhall.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buckshot00

samandothers

drobertson

Glad to see you made it back, I guess once bitten there is no cure for the dust bug bite ;D  Looking forward to seeing some pics of your neck of the woods,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

Looking forward to getting up every morning is one of the great pleasures in life.

Looks like you have a lot of things to get up for.  All interesting endeavors.
Welcome to the forum.  Again!!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bhall

Cedarman, you are so right. In addition to my many dreams I have a good family, good friends & good neighbors. With many great pleasures it is much easier for one to maintain focus on the good in life, far less distracted by the bad, which we all have to deal with. Thank you for the welcome.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

Thank You Sponsors!