iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging terms applicable to other things in life

Started by Straightgrain, March 05, 2015, 04:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straightgrain

"Crummy" is a vehicle used to transport a logging crew; I thought it was a term for some of the army chow I had to eat.

"Skidder" is a vehicle used to transport logs for a short distance; I'll pass on this one.

"Choker" is a device used to grasp a log; wasn't that a wrestling-hold Pat Patterson used on Kabuki in the 70's?

"Bunk" is a group of logs that form the bottom of a load on a log truck; it was something I had to make a quarter bounce on at Fort Knox.

"Dog" are the teeth on a chainsaw used to apply downward pressure; I thought it was my 1976 green Ford Maverick.

"Wedge" is a portion of a tree that is removed to allow it to fall in a pre-determined direction; not something the older brother does to his younger brother?

All I can think of off the top....
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

dsgsr

Those are COOL. Also, I was in Fort Knox the summer of '79.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

coxy

that was good  ;D the sayings I have will send this to the wood shed and get me band for life with out the possibility for an explanation  :D :D :D

CCC4

messed up can apply to all walks of life...and was prolly come up with by a logger

Straightgrain

Quote from: dsgsr on March 05, 2015, 04:54:57 PM
Those are COOL. Also, I was in Fort Knox the summer of '79.

David

Wow, me too dsgsr; E-1-1.

Coxy, I didn't want to touch "Buck" in the terminology category either.....

I never knew they were saying "what in the Sam Hill are you doing!!!!!!!!!?" because I didn't know Sam Hill was America's first mud-bogger.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

CCC4

Spinner...one that leaves off the stump doing a 180*

Whip...slender tall pine pole

Heller...one ya best be watching what the Hell is fittn to happen

Dead blow...fallen dead snag

And for all you guys..."Scrag" is small diameter hardwood sawn for pallet material...not a description of someones timber! LMAO!

thenorthman

gas pot=any and all gasoline/petrol burners

while oil burner=diesel, not generally meant as a bad thing... unless its a oil burning gas pot.

Yard=normally just the process of dragging logs out of the sticks, but used often to mean drag nearly anything out of anywhere "hey can you yard that road oiling gas pot out of the back 40 and put it on C's list for me"

Wrapper = chain and cable rigging used to bind logs out here on the left coast, But used to describe just about anything that needs to be tightly held... "throw a wrapper on that garbage can so the lid don't fly off will ya"

well that didn't work

mills

Few more:

plunge cut - dress design that enhances one of women's greater assets, may also cause whiplash.
ax - action done to your former co-workers.
widow maker - see number one above
leaner - obnoxious drunk needing one more drink to put him out of everybody else's misery.
no show - guy you contracted to haul logs - internet dating get together.
break down - machinery first, loggers mental state second
nut - that $60 Cat part - me for buying it
;D ;D ;D

central pa

My problem is a skidder is often the cause of a healthy skidder

Cedarman

ax,  I thought that is what you did when you had a question.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!