iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to construct a 15' x 7.5' hollow wooden door??

Started by seanw2010, March 05, 2015, 12:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanw2010

I am designing two 15' x 7.5' doors for a shop at work and want to build it the best way possible. The door is going to be hollow with a cavity for insulation. So I'm thinking framed with 2x6's and plywood or OSB sheathing. Any tips to prevent sag would be very useful!!

jueston

i assume you mean a 15' tall doors so that two of them would make a 15' by 15' opening, you could install a cable from corner to corner and a turnbuckle to tighten if it starts to sag. or you could make the frame out of metal and then cover it in wood, that might more rigid then all wood.

something like this, which is made for a gate
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Anti-Sag-Gate-Kit-15469/202042235

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

jueston

what kind of hinges did you have in mind? You will either need some very strong ones, or many smaller ones.

Just Me

I have built some like stress skin panels with a foam inner core. The foam cuts weight, insulates, and provides rigidity.

tule peak timber

On that size of door I would go with monocoque foam core construction . If you go torsion box, look at Sing Honeycomb Products. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

seanw2010

Thanks for the replies! Yes Jueston, 15' tall x 7.5' wide. I work at a glulam manufacturing plant where we make hardware also so I am assuming we will be making some heavy duty hinges. I believe they want to build it either out of 2x6's or tube steel possibly. I'm just trying to find out the best way to construct it from wood as far as how many braces and rails to include. I suppose the turnbuckle is a must in this case.

Just Me

Keep in mind that the more weight you add, the more weight you have to add. I was thinking about it and I would just buy a stress skin panel or two to make these doors. You would have to do a perimeter, and you would want  to put some thought in to how you face it to keep it as light as possible, but you would have a well insulated door that was light enough to not be trying to kill the hardware all the time.

I occasionally build post and beam homes and have used a lot of stress skin panels. I have had good results.

mmartone

A lot of stuff in boating is built with a foam (divincell, penske board and others) or plastic honeycomb core (nidacore) they are both good insulators. The foams come in a variety of thickness and weight/densitys.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Thank You Sponsors!