iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cast iron circulator

Started by Central Boiler 6048, March 05, 2015, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Central Boiler 6048

I've been wondering how many guys are running  cast-iron circulators on a open system with a wood boiler? When I talk to the lady at grundfos she said I needed stainless or Bronze? I told her everybody that I know runs cast-iron. I can't imagine that I would need a stainless if you change your water out every three years thats treated? I've even done the test with steel wool and my water is clean after seven days.

Dave Shepard

All mine are cast iron. I don't know anybody who uses anything else. If you have treated your water, then it shouldn't be an issue. Why change your water? If it's been treated, then it's good to go.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pabst79

We usually install cast iron on open systems, there have been certain systems that rust and sludge up depending on water quality , stainless steel or bronze are used for domestic water purposes, most states do not allow raw cast iron in a potable water system, maybe the help at Grunfos was worried about oxygen prematurely wrecking the pump or were just confused, I get confused alot  say_what 
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Central Boiler 6048

Dave,
Central boiler wants you to change your water every three years. That's where I got changing the water from. Thanks for the help on the cast iron part.

WmFritz

Quote from: Central Boiler 6048 on March 05, 2015, 10:35:00 AM
Dave,
Central boiler wants you to change your water every three years. That's where I got changing the water from. Thanks for the help on the cast iron part.

They probably want you to buy their boiler treatment too.  ::)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!