iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Through or around Chicago?

Started by Faron, March 05, 2015, 08:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Hi, folks!  Been a while since I posted anything, but I check in quite often.  I have a question for anyone who might travel in the Chicago area.  I am going to have to travel from southern Indiana to Hartford WI in the near future.  The closest route takes me through Chicago, and the computer makes it about 7 hours.  I could go around and up I39 and avoid that place.  It looks like that will add about an hour and a half to the trip.  My question to anyone familiar with the route, is the extra time and mileage worth it to avoid Chicago?  Or is it not that big a deal?  I will be pulling a machine on the return trip. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

drobertson

My kids live Near Kenosha, they make trip through the windy a few times a year,  they say its a pain. but doable of course, when we go up we take 39 through Rockford then hit 43 then east at Lake Geneva,  Hour and a half is quite a bit longer, I guess it depends on your nerves, I find that If I know where I'm going in these bigger cities, if I know the exits and all they aren't so bad,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SawyerBrown

Raider, Chicago is a great place to visit, if you're not driving!  We're going up this weekend to a concert (Pentatonix!!) ... and taking the train!

Faron, I'd say it all depends on when you're going through. If it's Rush hour, go around.  But that's a lot of extra time and miles to go all the way over to 39, so if you can plan it for mid-day I'd say go through. There are several app's that show live traffic info, I'd definitely check that as late as possible before committing.  If I were picking a route, I'd probably go 80 to 94 to the 294 Tri-State and just keep going. Don't forget to stay right for the tolls!  Good luck!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

goose63

When I was still over the road I would take I80 to I39 every chance I got I HATE down Chicago
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Autocar

I second Chicago sucks , if you come in on I-65 take 30 west till it runs into I-80 and run it west to I-39 north it is probably out of the way but I once took I-90 thur Chicago , bottom line there nuts give me a gravel road any day  ;).
Bill

Southside

I used to pull a 40' gooseneck horse trailer around the country for a couple of years and of all the places one has to drive through Los Angeles is the only worse place that Chicago when you have a trailer.  I went through there once, and never again, after I always went way west of the city, even south of it as the bottleneck along 80/90 could be a nightmare.  I have never seen construction cones set up like they do there, so yea I would eat 1.5 hours any day to avoid it, if anything goes wrong you will loose a lot more than than going through the city. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

CHARLIE

I live in NW Wisconsin and travel south at least once a year. I've avoided Chicago ever since the 1970s. I use I94 to I39 and go south. It isn't just the traffic in Chicago but making you stop about every mile to pay a toll is aggravating too.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SawyerBrown

You just have to learn to drive like a Chicagoan!  When changing lanes ... change lanes.  Turn signals are optional.  Checking whether anybody is already in that lane is not required.   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

trapper

going south I take I39. Going to the pigroast I go north over the bridge.   Both longer but less nervewracking.  Avoiding the toles will buy a few extra gallons of fuel.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

A few more miles, but more pleasant driving. I'd go up (and back down) through Champaign, up 39 and all the way to pick up Hwy 60 to go East across to Hartford.
What machine are you pulling?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

I concur on I39 route. I've tried them all, usually in an rv. If you can't avoid chicago, I found the best way north-south is right through down town. Avoid the toll road bypass like the plague. The absolute worst I can remember is southbound from the pig roast via Gary/chicago to I55 south. Never again..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Faron

I39 it is!  Thanks folks.  I was leaning towards that route, but thought I might be over reacting to the idea of Chicago traffic.  Sounds like I am not.  I, too, am more accustomed to gravel roads. 
Beenthere, I am going to be pulling home my grand kids' college fund-a Wood Beaver firewood processor.  We have about 60 acres we are clearing for pasture, all about the right size to go through this processor.  I figure by the time they get that sold, the machine ought to be just about broke in, and they can start on fence rows. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Just Me

My daughter lives in Lake Geneva and I have a friend North of Chicago. The loop out is a bit easier but......

Driving through Chicago is not a problem at 4:00 AM, which is what I do if I am at my buddy's on the North side. I don't even bother with the tollway, just stay on 94 as long as I can start at 4:00.

Its grown up so much out by Lake Geneva that it is not the cakewalk it once was, but at least if you break down you don't have to worry about getting mugged, except by the tow truck driver.

The tollway was $28 I think the last time I went through there, a bit pricy. And... If you break down on the tollway there is only one company with the right to tow you[Chicago politics} and you are going to get raped. You have no choice.

Chuck White

Years ago, 1974 to be exact I was traveling from NY (state) to SD and therefore, followed I-90 and ended up in Chicago and I have to say it again, I'll never go through The Windy City again!

Going to the Pig Roast from here would be faster going through Canada!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerBrown

I actually get a decent percent of business in Chicago and suburbs, so many times I have the mill in tow.  It isn't fun, but in general people there have large wallets, so I'm actually thinking of adding a surcharge if I have to get into heavier traffic.  Last time I got stuck on 94 it took me about an hour to go 3 miles to my exit.  So I do go, it's just not my favorite place to work.

goose63

Be for thy moved it Water street market was no fun. but for as many time's as I went there it all most became my second home boy I'm glade those day's are over
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

low_48

I hate Chicago traffic, but going from Indiana to 39 to avoid it is a LONG haul! We travel it all the time with our son on the near North side, and our daughter in Algonquin. As long as it's not between 6-10 in the a.m., and 3-6 in the afternoon, I would pull through Chicago. I left McCormick Place at 4:30 in the afternoon heading south. First hour I didn't get above 15 mph, but only came to a stop a few times. Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!