iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with a clark

Started by stoneeaglefarm, March 05, 2015, 07:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

Hi Folks, Been out of the woods for over 6 months with some lyme stuff, This forum has always been great, I sold my other skidder to have some $ for time down, I just purchased a 1979 clark 664b, I have logged for 30 years but never owned a clark, Need some info on brake systems, As this one has a petal brake that does not work, What are thoughts on the hydro transmission, What are thoughts on machine over all, Has a 353 in it, Use to John deere, But, I like the set up on this clark except loud motor. Who deals with parts, a manual. Thanks, Peter

rockwall

I'm a little biased, I own a 1977 664B and love it. The transmissions are supposed to be the cadillacs of trannys. The winch is incredibly powerful and the detroit is so LOUD! There is a recent thread on here about some nice mufflers others have made. The only disadvantage I can see is they are a chore to climb into and get off.     You can get a manual free from Allied Systems. Go to www.alliedsystems.com/pubs/pubs.htm  and then click on Ranger on the left, then slide over to parts manuals.  There are some really knowledgable mechanics who answer questions on here so this is a great forum.  My brake is just a reservoir and master cylinder, very simple, maybe it is just out of brake fluid. You can get parts from two great businesses- Harold's in Hampden, ME. and Davco in Farmington.

stoneeaglefarm

rockwall, Thank you, I noticed yesterday that under the lower center pin that a threaded bolt comes from top to bottom, But, There is no nut on this, I believe there should be, I am going to steam clean machine soon as the kids who owned it did not take good care, What is a average for a detriot to use for oil in say a week of not to hard work. Thanks, For the leads and I hope I like this machine, No harder to get in and out of than my 440c or other I have had, But, Hear they are good machines, The clarks.

treeslayer2003

that bolt threads into the housing and hold the pin keeper........if it breaks you'll loose the pin. they are great skidders, get some ear muffs lol.

stoneeaglefarm

Thanks Tree slayer, Hunted snow geese in maryland and delaware this year, Should there be a nut attached to bottom of that pin, Out side measurement is 13/8  I do not see the keeper pin, It may be a different center pin someone put in.

treeslayer2003

sounds like a timber jack pin...........center pins should be 1-3/4 on those. could be some one rebuilt it with what they had. thats ok if done right.

you had to be around here some where lol. i am in northern dorchester.

stoneeaglefarm

should there be a nut on the bottom screwing up to the base of the lower part that connects the front fram to back, Hunted out of Kent Narrows. Had a blast, What great country down there, We are in 4 feet of snow, I think the detriot is bad on this deal also, Lots to learn, Think I got taken on the deal.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: stoneeaglefarm on March 05, 2015, 04:16:01 PM
should there be a nut on the bottom screwing up to the base of the lower part that connects the front fram to back, Hunted out of Kent Narrows. Had a blast, What great country down there, We are in 4 feet of snow, I think the detriot is bad on this deal also, Lots to learn, Think I got taken on the deal.
maybe, pics would help. whats up with the detroit?

kent narrows close to the bridge, you where on the north end.

Gearbox

Be sure to use a series 1 engine oil such as Delo 100 . Only in 10 20 30 40 wt . If in dought have your oil supplier check his oil book . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

stoneeaglefarm

I am not sure how to take pictures off my smart phone onto this site, Machine sat for 10 days after I bought it, When I looked at it in fresh snow there was no oil under it except for a few drips, I took one tire off to have a new tube put in, Guys before me pinched it and it caused a slow leak, When I went to start it up, I checked oil, nothing, 2 quarts, no sighn, took 4 quarts to fill it to middle of stick, I need to have someone look at it, These were young kids who I thought I was helping out, They wanted a bigger machine and needed money for a down payment. Time will tell, Will try to send a picture, Unless you have a e-mail, Thanks very much, We stayed at the best western at end of bridge, Hunted several places in Maryland and Delaware, Great outfit called Tuscarora outfitters, Again, Thanks.

treeslayer2003

you can mail me if you want, pm sent

rockwall

So once you added oil, does it start and run? Does it develop good power? Smoke?

stoneeaglefarm

rockwall, It starts pretty easy, Added 4 quarts to get to a good point on stick, Today or Sunday, I am going to spend some time rewiring battery set up, Guy I bought it from only had 1 battery hooked up, Seems to have plenty of power and will check smoke out, I am gaining on some of the problems, Think lack of maintenance and just being lazy on this machine may be the problem from other owners, Gonna steam clean it and go from front to back, Appreciate any come back on the clarks,

rick f

Stone Eagle, I was in Antrim about 2 months ago. My MIL's boyfriend lived in Antrim years back. They lived on Highland Ave. His name is William Wyles.

I owe a 664 clark , great skidder. Only troubles has been fuel filters sucking air after changing them, real PIA at times. Just lost the Govenor this week, but found a place that rebuilds them. Worst problem is the gearmatic winch is real touchy as far as free spooling goes.

I think they are tougher then a bag full of hammers.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

rockwall

Wow, only one battery, I'm amazed it had the umph to start it.  It does sound like it was neglected. They are tough machines, mine was neglected by one owner. When I went to look at it to buy, we had to jump start it with a pickup and then the exhaust was so bad and rotten, it just blew in your face. It would make you sick in minutes. Fixed those problems and some others along the way but it is a nice strong, hauling machine! Oh, did I mention it is a little LOUD, too. Earplugs and hardhat make it bearable.

stoneeaglefarm

Thanks to all, I found out today that the serial numbers are no where near a 1979, The bill of sale states it is a 1979 664b, Found out they stopped making them 1977, Thinking about getting some legal advice as far as what to do, I really want to give this machine a go as I like the set up and hear nothing but good things overall about Clarks, Anyone out there ever have to deal with a fraud machine, Did not eve have plate on side, Had to grind off serial number on frame. Hoping for the best, Amazing what kinds of folks are out there.

nk14zp

First thing I would do is run the rack on it.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

treeslayer2003

Quote from: nk14zp on March 07, 2015, 03:36:59 PM
First thing I would do is run the rack on it.
yes, most important thing on a detroit and most over looked. just because it starts easy does not mean its right.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: stoneeaglefarm on March 07, 2015, 01:35:00 PM
Thanks to all, I found out today that the serial numbers are no where near a 1979, The bill of sale states it is a 1979 664b, Found out they stopped making them 1977, Thinking about getting some legal advice as far as what to do, I really want to give this machine a go as I like the set up and hear nothing but good things overall about Clarks, Anyone out there ever have to deal with a fraud machine, Did not eve have plate on side, Had to grind off serial number on frame. Hoping for the best, Amazing what kinds of folks are out there.
meh, thats not a big deal at all, not alot of difference in them other than the cab. i prefer the b cab, i think its more room.
my 666b is a 78 and has the cab opening guards, my 664b is a 74 and does not. other than that, the 4 is little shorter and little narrower cab. same trans in both. i do have the big winch, but that was added to the 4 to get rid of the problematic lol.

nk14zp

And watch that the blade doesn't lower while you are steering it out of the woods.
Belsaw 802 edger.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: nk14zp on March 07, 2015, 03:49:01 PM
And watch that the blade doesn't lower while you are steering it out of the woods.
lol, hi zippy, i see you have run the clarks. actually, my older 664 has a separate lever for the blade. i like it better than the joy stick but ya get used to it.

nk14zp

Never ran them for production.  But a lot of my friends around here have them.  For skidders all I have ran is the 648 series from a d to a g3.
Belsaw 802 edger.

stoneeaglefarm

You folks are pisser with all the info, Whats does run the rack mean,

nk14zp

It means a good tune up.  Adjust the valves,  inj timing, governor etc.
Belsaw 802 edger.

stoneeaglefarm

Thanks , Will do, Gonna check with a lawyer on Monday to see what, and or if I should see if these kids just out and out lied, Once I know were I stand then I will get into machine, Thanks again guys for the help, In 30 years in the woods I have never been stumped so to speak like this, It will all work out, Just want to get back to pulling some wood. Good weekend to ya.

Thank You Sponsors!