iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value of a Sanborn sawmill!

Started by Treelover, March 04, 2015, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treelover

I am going to look at a Sanborn sawmill. Need to learn more about them and how I can ask the right questions to know what the value of it is.
Len Hilger
Kubota M5030su Husky 61 Husky 3120xp Husky 136 Stihl ms460 99 Ford F-250 4X4 Husky ztr (poc) Fastline trailer Hud-son HFE30, Hud-son Wolverine A

beenthere

Is it the slant band Min-Max ?  Are you going to see it running, and sawing logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

They are very well made machines.The sawmill exchange web site has 2 for sale .1@20kanother @52k...both slant variety.Another was sold in N.H. recently for 17.5k,it was a more conventional horizontal band mill.about 37'' throat capacity.I don't know if they are still in business.
Good luck,if it hasn't been abused and it suits your needs I don't think you can go wrong.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

loggah

Theres a couple different models,so that depends. My brother has had real good luck with his 6-36 model.I know they made  couple smaller ones,some diesel powered,and some electric.I know Dale still has parts,dont know if hes still building mills. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

rwepinetree

I ran one and sawed over a million BF of mostly hardwood the only thing I didn't like was the cost of the bands and the maintenance of the bands. Overall they are a solid machine
. I just talked to Dale Sanborn a few months ago.

rwepinetree

You can call Sanborn machine in Waterford Maine

Treelover

I am going to look at this weekend. Yes it is still sawing so I should be able to see it run. I beleieve it is a Min Max and I am trying to get a model number and hours and the year it was made information so I can get a better idea of what it is worth.  Will put up more information later. Thanks guys.

Len Hilger
Kubota M5030su Husky 61 Husky 3120xp Husky 136 Stihl ms460 99 Ford F-250 4X4 Husky ztr (poc) Fastline trailer Hud-son HFE30, Hud-son Wolverine A

1colinmc

Interested in a sanborn myself did you ever get one?

shenandoahsawmill

Be sure to ask if the saw blade maintenance equipment comes with the mill purchase as well as training to for wide band work, you will need a sharpener, swage, shaper, roller and bench, hammer etc. ,to do the work yourself. Buying all of this new or even used could set you back $25,000.00 to $35,000.00 or as much as the mill. If you farm this work out you will need a local shop because shipping those large saw blades is a PITA. You will also need extra blades if you farm out the work so that you can keep sawing while blades are out for work. A total of about 10 saw blades should keep you going and they cost about $250.00 to $350.00 each.

tfcraftlumber

Does anyone have one of these sanborn mills in the new england area that i could look at?  Want to see one in operation.  Not too many on youtube

moodnacreek

Quote from: tfcraftlumber on August 15, 2018, 07:31:12 AM
Does anyone have one of these sanborn mills in the new england area that i could look at?  Want to see one in operation.  Not too many on youtube
If I was trying to go faster and save kerf I would buy one. You will be impressed if you see one run.

bigalalexander

Hello 
I have one of the only double cut Sanborns in the country. I have cut upwards of 12 million ft with the mill If anyone has question about these mills or would like to see one run I just give a shout. 

bigalalexander

One note. If you go to my web site there is photos. 
All the best Big Al

bigalalexander

The web. Site. Is ashudaklumber .com

Thank You Sponsors!