iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone used Citristrip

Started by 21incher, March 04, 2015, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I want to remove water base poly from the maple top I made and am looking for a stripper that is safe to use indoors. At Home Depot they have a product called Citristrip that they say will do the job with no dangerous fumes. I am wondering if anyone has tried this product and the results they had, or if there are any other low fume strippers that may work better on a water base finish. I just need something to get the worst of it off and will be sanding it and refinishing it with oil base poly.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Southside

I have not used that product, but a couple of soybean oil ones that were excellent with no off gassing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_S.

I collect old porcelain signs and pre-neon signs that have 3 dimensional glass letters protruding through the face and often through the intervening years someone has painted over them. I use citristrip on them and there is absolutely no damage to the underlying surface although I relize you are asking about marble.
I also use a spray product specifically designed to remove graffiti from delicate surfaces. I am on the road so I can't get you a brand name at the moment but I bought it at HD. It requires more rubbing but is gentle...at least on glass.

Edit: i just re-read your post and realized you are not stripping off from the marble, just the wood. Yes, Citistrip works and has low odor. Messy but works.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

21incher

Thanks Brad S. I am going to HD next week to pick some up and try. It's funny you mention old porcelain signs because I also have one that was painted over and I will have to try and clean it up also. Looks like you live right down the road from me. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Brad_S.

Didn't even notice that! Howdy neighbor!  smiley_wavy
Used to live even closer...Penfield...back in my milling days. Had a lot of great customers in Marion/Palmyra/Newark.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!