iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory and beech

Started by Striker, August 28, 2004, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker

The bossman was talking to a timber buyer recently. He was telling the boss what wood is hot and what wood isn't. Well, we have a couple of hickory logs and can get a couple of beech logs from a tree I took down at a new house lot the other day. One hickory log is clear, the other has several branches. The beech logs are all clear. If  we get them sawed into boards, how should they be sawed and what thicknesses? After joining this forum and reading the posts, I hate to see possibly good wood be cut up into firewood. Oh, hickory and beech are not hot sellers around here. (Columbus, Ohio)

Jeff

Kirk_Allen

Before cutting them I would identify what your going to do with the wood.  If you are woodworker then you may have an idea for some projects.

Hickory makes some beutiful wood when its finished.  

If I have a log that is for my own projects I tend to cut several different sizes (4/4, 6/4, 8/4, and sometimes 12/4).

It just depends on what your plans are for the wood.

If you going to sell it, I would try to find a buyer first and then cut to his needs.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Ron Wenrich

I just sawed 4,000 bf of hickory.  Markets are good in our area, even for the poorer quality.  We even sell veneer hickory.

I have only moved a little bit of beech lumber for grade.  European beech is supposed to be much better in quality and appearance, so that dampens the beech demand.  I usually put it into ties or pallet.

For the most part, 4/4 lumber is usually sawn.  That is what most furniture, flooring, trim, and cabinets are made from.  5/4 may be used for some table tops, and 6/4 for chair bottoms.  

Most beech finds its way into hidden parts.  Middle grade furniture uses beech for drawer sides.  I did have a call one time for quartersawn beech.  Seems that the Japanese wanted it for bowling alleys.  It would take more than a few trees, though.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!