iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tennessee Native Lumber law

Started by TnAndy, March 03, 2015, 07:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnAndy

Hi,  new/old member here.  Was on the board years (and a computer ago) back, but haven't been around to post.  Had some health issues for a while.  Got 're-plumbed' and doing fine now.

This is an issue that will affect primarily folks in Tennessee, but I think needs to be addressed by us small mill owners here.  Some States (mostly northeastern ones near as I can find) have passed laws like this to allow us to use our lumber to build with.  If this is something that concerns you as well, read on, then PLEASE take a few minutes to drop an email to our legislators.

The History behind the Act:

Tennessee adopted the use of State wide building codes in the last few years, whereas in the past, rural areas had pretty much been "building inspector free zones" (except electrical and septic).  Along with that came the requirement that any lumber used in home construction be grade stamped.  What that means is you can't use ungraded sawmill lumber for homes (still OK for buildings for agricultural use) like you could in the previous 200 or so years of State history.

This has been an issue in other States as well, and the way around that code requirement for some States has been to adopt a Native Species Act.  The method varies from State to State, but generally, the sawyer that produced the lumber can inspect his own product, and furnish a certification that in their opinion, the lumber meets the specs of #2 softwood lumber, making it acceptable for construction.  Some States allow for a stamp, some simply a letter, but in any case, code officials must accept that to meet code requirements.

This lets the 'small guys', or folks that own a personal mill (like myself) use the timber grown locally for construction lumber.  I know in my own case, I can saw a WHOLE LOT better lumber than the stuff I can buy at the Big Box stores, imported from the West Coast, or Canada.  Not unusual to look at a bundle of studs, for example, and see the tree center in 75% of them.  They must be sawing 'trees' 6" in diameter for studs.  Some of the knotty, twisted, warped stuff you see at the stores shouldn't grade # 3, much less #2.  But since it has the holy "stamp", it's good to go !

Where we are now:

I got with my local State rep, and we crafted a bill that he introduced in the Legislature this session and is now in committee.  The House bill is HB0978, and the Senate is SB0822.

The actual text of the bill is here, if you wish to read it:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/Bill/HB0978.pdf

IF you live in Tennessee, and have an interest in being able to use native Tennessee lumber to build your home/etc with, and NOT have to buy grade stamped lumber (often imported), then do your part, and spend a few minutes to email the legislators in both Agriculture committees. THE MORE FOLKS THEY HEAR FROM, THE MORE LIKELY THIS IS TO GET OUT OF COMMITTEE AND VOTED ON THIS SESSION.

You can find the members here:

House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee - TN General Assembly

Senate Energy, Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee - TN General Assembly

Simply click on the legislator's photo, and their page will come up, along with an "Email Me" link.

Here is the letter I sent, if you wish to build yours around it, feel free. Please don't simply copy and paste. Use your own wording.

Sir,

I would appreciate your vote to approve HB 0978, currently in the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee. This bill would allow Tennesseans to use sawmill lumber in the construction of their homes if they desire, just like they have done for hundreds of years until standard building codes were adopted that require a grade stamp on the lumber.

That requirement knocks out all of the small personally owned sawmills, and small commercial mills from using personally, or selling lumber for that purpose, as they simply can't afford the cost of belonging to the large organizations that control lumber grading. What that means is if I want to cut the fine timber off my Tennessee land, and use it to build my own home, I can't do so. I must buy a far inferior lumber, imported from the West Coast or Canada, simply because it meets the building code. Seems a shame to be 'coded out' of our heritage of using native Tennessee lumber, cut from the vast forests of Tennessee, simply because a code requires it.

I sincerely hope you will vote to correct this.

Thank you,

(and my signature/address/phone number)
Price, quality, service....
    Pick any two

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Andy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

howdy tnandy, glad you are back up and running, being down is no fun for sure,  hope all goes well for you and your milling business,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Welcome (back) to the Forestry Forum, TnAndy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Andy,

When did this law come into effect?

Tennessee adopted the use of State wide building codes in the last few years, whereas in the past, rural areas had pretty much been "building inspector free zones" (except electrical and septic)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

hunz

Welcome back, and right on. Too many folks are scared to fight for what is right anymore. I'm proud to have a fellow forum member like yourself push for something that would benefit many. Now if we could just get NC on board!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Jjoness4

TnAndy
Tenn Lt Governor Ron Ramsey is a good friend of mine and lives a couple miles up the road.  I will make him aware of this.  He has even asked me to do some sawing for him (farm sheds only).  He is a reasonable down to earth guy that believes in common sense approaches in dealing with the beauracacy.  Our church where Ron and I attend has wanted to use sawmill lumber to build homes in Morgan and Scott counties in Tennessee for those needing better housing.  Several sawyers (me for one) up here I am sure would donate 2 by 4s for construction but it is forbidden to do.  Thanks for calling this to our attention.
B Jones
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TnAndy

Quote from: beenthere on March 03, 2015, 10:46:00 AM
TnAndy
Was this your old handle? 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=128

Don't know....when I click on it, it says "error....not authorized".   Maybe my Top Secret clearance was down graded.  ;D
    Pick any two

TnAndy

Quote from: Jjoness4 on March 03, 2015, 09:37:07 AM
TnAndy
Tenn Lt Governor Ron Ramsey is a good friend of mine and lives a couple miles up the road.  I will make him aware of this.  He has even asked me to do some sawing for him (farm sheds only).  He is a reasonable down to earth guy that believes in common sense approaches in dealing with the beauracacy.  Our church where Ron and I attend has wanted to use sawmill lumber to build homes in Morgan and Scott counties in Tennessee for those needing better housing.  Several sawyers (me for one) up here I am sure would donate 2 by 4s for construction but it is forbidden to do.  Thanks for calling this to our attention.
B Jones

Yeah, I've met Ramsey several times over the years.  He always impressed me as a guy with common sense.  Be great if he could move this legislation along.
    Pick any two

TnAndy

Quote from: hunz on March 03, 2015, 09:15:20 AM
Welcome back, and right on. Too many folks are scared to fight for what is right anymore. I'm proud to have a fellow forum member like yourself push for something that would benefit many. Now if we could just get NC on board!

Well, do what I did.  Have a 'sit down' with your State rep, and explain the why of this, and simply copy our proposed law and use it !
    Pick any two

TnAndy

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 03, 2015, 08:31:35 AM
Andy,

When did this law come into effect?

Tennessee adopted the use of State wide building codes in the last few years, whereas in the past, rural areas had pretty much been "building inspector free zones" (except electrical and septic)

Don't know the exact date, but sometime in the last 2-3 years.  Last house I built (and used my own lumber) was in 2006, and I know it wasn't that way then....but then I sorta got out of the stream of things as far as building.  I have a neighbor/buddy that is still active in it, and I'm going by the way he moans and groans about the new inspection requirements.

Un-stamped lumber has always been a no go in the cities where they did framing inspections.....one reason I never built IN Johnson City, for example.
    Pick any two

beenthere

Quote from: TnAndy on March 03, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
TnAndy

Don't know....when I click on it, it says "error....not authorized".   Maybe my Top Secret clearance was down graded.  ;D

Maybe because you started a new handle..and can't get to members yet.

From Tn..Andy  is this post.  Maybe not you, or maybe is..
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12175.msg170048.html#msg170048
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TnAndy

Quote from: beenthere on March 03, 2015, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: TnAndy on March 03, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
TnAndy

Maybe because you started a new handle..and can't get to members yet.

From Tn..Andy  is this post.  Maybe not you, or maybe is..
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12175.msg170048.html#msg170048

Yes....that WERE/ARE me...ahahahaa.....forgot the dot/dot/dot.  Guess I've slept a few times since then.
    Pick any two

terrifictimbersllc

Your effort here is commendable.

I was in HD a week ago looking for a few pieces of framing lumber just to have on hand for blocking, etc.   Not framing.  I left with a couple 2x4's , and one each 2x6, 2x8 and 2x10.  However it took me digging through each pile looking at probably 10-15 boards to find acceptable ones that weren't twisted, cracked, bowed, or crooked.  Hard to believe that some build with these boards.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

TnAndy It is against the rules to have more than one Forestry Forum login.  It is in the registration agreement.  Which one do you want to keep?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TennesseeFarmerJohn

TnAndy,

Thank you for your work on this issue.  I am a member of my county's GOP executive committee.  I will send a letter to both my rep and senator on my party letterhead urging passage of these bills as written. 

Thanks again

TnAndy

Apparently the link to the actual PDF document doesn't work, and I can't copy the doc either.

SO, try going HERE:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0978

and click on the bill number HB0978 to open your own PDF copy.

Sorry about that......
    Pick any two

TnAndy

Quote from: Jeff on March 03, 2015, 05:14:00 PM
TnAndy It is against the rules to have more than one Forestry Forum login.  It is in the registration agreement.  Which one do you want to keep?

Sorry Jeff.  Didn't mean to be a pain.  I'll keep the current one if that's OK.  I have no idea how to log into the old one, been too long, and a computer ago.

andy
    Pick any two

TnAndy

Quote from: TennesseeFarmerJohn on March 03, 2015, 05:18:10 PM
TnAndy,

Thank you for your work on this issue.  I am a member of my county's GOP executive committee.  I will send a letter to both my rep and senator on my party letterhead urging passage of these bills as written. 

Thanks again

Thanks John.  That would help, for sure.
    Pick any two

Jeff

I think I can merge your old posts when I get rid of the old login. I think. I am going to get rid of the new one and edit your old one. That will keep your original registration date.  At some point it will log you out, and send an email to your new email address for you to reset your password.  If you find you can't login any longer, that means I have done it.  If you have problems getting in, then send me an email to jeff@forestryforumdotcom

Multiple logins is a major security issue.

TnAndy

Yeah, sorry about that Jeff.  If I get locked out, I'll email ya.

Pick any two

Jeff

Okay, that should do it. Once you get logged back in, you will see you have all of the posts you had from when you first registered, as well as your original register date of January 23, 2002.  :)

Possum Creek

Perry county opts out of the building codes on a yearly basis I think. This is one of the few places in the country where you could build a house out of slabs as long as the electric and septic inspections passed.          PC

Robert Owens

Thanks Tn Andy, I'll draft a letter tomorrow to both my state senator and rep. I happen to live close by my state senator and have known my rep for years. Thanks for making all of us aware of this issue.

Thank You Sponsors!