iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire repair, What would you do ?

Started by rick f, March 03, 2015, 05:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Ok guys I have ag tires on the front of the skidder, they are 3 years old and been good. I know forestry would be better so please don't go down that road. I stubbed it out . I'm going to put a new skidder tube in it. How would you repair the tire?  the cut is about 4" long and in the tread 

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

rockwall

There are a couple businesses around here who come and replace a tube without even taking the chains off the tire. Unfortunately, I found this out after we spent 8 hours getting the old wheel off, then took it to a tire place, then picked it up and put it back on. The next time I had a flat they came right here and in an hour, I had a new "rubber" tube and I didn't have to lift a finger.  As far as a tear, I believe there is someone in central Maine who vulcanizes tires, not sure if that is what you need.

deerguy

Hi Rick f,
FWIW....
A few years ago I had a tractor tire split while baling hay. I ran to the nearest tire shop that handled off-road tires etc and he had a quick fix. Ideally you want to put a boot on the inside, but in my case we took a grinder to the cut to rough up the cut and used a 2-part rubber compound much like a 2 part epoxy would work. we pushed and prodded the mixture into the cut and massaged it til it looked like it might stay. That quick fix is still in there and has many, many hours on it and it hasn't started to peel yet.
I know its not a permanent solution, but neither is ag tires in the bush....lol. Go talk to a good heavy tire shop, they will have some ideas.....

Regards, Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Autocar

Around here they come right to the job and bust it down and put a boot in the tire then it go's back togather.
Bill

kensfarm

You could put a hot patch on the inside.. before putting in a tube.. but it looks like that tire has passed its shelf life date.   Maybe call tractor dealers for new set of used tires?

treeslayer2003

you'll need a large boot. that tire looks thin......i use ag tires but 10 ply and up.

sandsawmill14

if you have a old tire laying around cut a boot out of the side wall and bolt it inside that tire with 5/16 carriage head bolts grind the edges of the "boot" you made at an angle and it wont hurt the tube. i have done this many times i know its crude but its cheap and works. I have one on my on my backhoe i gonna do soon if i dont forget i will poist a couple of pics ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

treeslayer2003

a liner is a good idea to. if can't find one, make one from the old tube.

Maine logger88

Something like this? 

Been like this on my 540 for almost a year seems to be working decent
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

sandsawmill14

maine logger that looks very familiar  :)   the thing is i thought this was the right way to fix till em i was almost 19 when i went to work at the grain elevator  that was when i learned you could call farmers co-op and they would come fix them for you.  I still change/ fix 95 % of my own tires both ag and passenger  ;D

thenorthman

Boot it and run it, that hole taint so big, if your really worried bolt some conveyor belting to the back side and line it or taper the edges a bit. 

Ag tires on the front are probably ok (probably) but like slayer said go 10 ply or bust... literally...

I fought the same hole for the last 2 years before finally belting it... course its like 6" long and a boot wouldn't hold it... roughly the same location though.  Jury is still out on whether or not the belting worked though... been kinda slow the last couple months...

Also with the proper tools and a little skill it only takes a couple of hours to swap a tube for me now, patching the hole took about 3.  Versus paying some one several hundred for a trip charge or fuel and time to take it into town to have it fixed... and still pay over 100... I'll sweat a little and call it good.
well that didn't work

kensfarm

Initially when I looked at those tires I thought they were bald.. couldn't see the tread that well.. then re-read they are only 3 years old.  Hope you can get it fixed soon.

rick f

Thanks for the input on the tire repair. I fixed it yesterday ( I hope). went up to the local concrete plant looking for an old mud flap to bolt inside for a boot. Foreman there send a fellow out to get these clips, he said they use them on loader tires as well as there intended use. They are made by Flexco and used for repairing convaor belts. I used 3 and they seem to work. Here are a few pictures of them. I did use a boot patch inside the tire.

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

clww

That looks to me like a very sturdy fix for your tire. Time will tell. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandsawmill14

Maine logger88

That's a neat fix I'll have to keep that in mind especially with all the tire trouble I seem to have...
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lopet

Good idea with those clips, they seem to do the trick. Let us know please, how they last.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

lumberjack48

Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 03, 2015, 08:18:47 PM
Something like this? 

Been like this on my 540 for almost a year seems to be working decent
My father fixed tires like this. Take a old tire and cut a patch out of the side wall, grid it smooth and bolt it in. But this was with Forestry tires.
I fixed my tires in the woods, i kept a heavy duty tube on hand. It took me about 2 hrs or less to fix them. If i had a tear like that i wouldn't fix it, i couldn't afford that much down time. We were money ahead to put a new one on. Having flat tires don't work when you have to get x wood out in x days.
It looks good, but i don't think theres enough meat on each side. Theres a good chance its going to tear out. If it does put a 6x6 or bigger on the in side, bolt it in, use good glue to. Try and find a skidder tire tire or at least something as heavy or thick.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!