iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Length advice

Started by jgroberts2, March 01, 2015, 03:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgroberts2

I have a good amount of walnuts, maples, oaks, poplars, sycamores, and a few other hardwoods that my father and I are looking to cut and sell. Not sure if we're going get them cut down to boards before we sell or if we would sell whole logs. But, my main question is, how long should we cut the logs? Just wondering what the most commonly sought after length is.

Mark Wentzell

Log length will likely depend on markets and what the end product will be. Your best bet would probably be to contact the log buyers/sawmills who you are planning to sell to, they should be able to give you specifications on what size, length and species they are after.

beenthere

jg
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

If you are not after a certain particular length and just stocking logs, then buck the logs at quality breaks. Often a log will tell you where the limbs start showing up, and where the log has a crook in it, or where the seam stops. Let the log speak for itself, and hopefully the buyers will recognize the quality that you have cut out.
If you cut them in to boards, then that quality will show in those boards as well.
This somewhat depends on the products you are going to try to sell as well, if it be boards.
But just to make a pile of the same length logs likely isn't the best... but it looks neat. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kinet

if you have room, skid out 20 trees, leave them uncut, then bring in a couple buyers to look at them and see what they have to say. You will get a quick education about value that way.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jgroberts2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Some good advice given. Always check with your local mills and log buyers as to what log lengths they prefer before you cut and buck the trees.
~Ron

thecfarm

jgroberts2,welcome to the forum. There is a lot to grading the logs too. You can cut 2 feet of a 16 foot log and it might be worth more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jgroberts2

Thanks for all the info everyone! We've dropped quite a few good trees already and have buyers coming in to look at them and give us insight. Thanks again!

farmer9

I was also planning on cutting some trees down and have some buyers come in to get bids. Problem is i cant find any buyers willing to do that. They all seem to want to do the cutting themselves. Any idea how to find willing buyers that will just give bids?

Thank You Sponsors!