iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw safety

Started by thomasbeaverton, March 01, 2015, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasbeaverton

I am registering on March 10th for a trail skills college with PCTA in my area (beaverton OR), and will be volunteering my time to help the trails and get some more time behind my saw, and have been looking for other ways to take chainsaw safety courses. I've contacted community colleges and everywhere in-between. 

Any suggestions for where I could go to get said training?

I've used chainsaws safely, but not as a profession and I am trying to give myself some verifiable training in order to get a foot in the door of the arborist profession.

I have gotten certified in CPR/AED and First aid through red cross. I paid a deposit for a 4day climbing course with Tree Climbing Planet, in May. I'm taking initiative to invest in myself every way possible so I can try to get in as a grounds man and work up to climber. I am looking for more training all around.

Lastly; I currently live in an apartment, any suggestions on how to get more time behind my saw? Walking into the woods and cutting isn't responsible and I am willing to donate my time if there is an opportunity. Thank you all, ahead of time, for the help.

sawguy21

Welcome aboard, you have come to the right place. I commend your commitment to safe working practices. Does anyone offer the Game of Logging course in your area? info@gameoflogging.com
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thomasbeaverton

First, thank you for your time. I sincerely appreciate it. I googled game of logging in oregon and am only seeing those courses on the east coast. I would be willing to travel to a washington state for those courses but I am just not seeing the availability on the west Coast.

Thank you for the resource. Best regards, sir.

thomasbeaverton

I sent them an email as well. Just incase.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, thomasbeavert.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Thomasbeaverton!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thomasbeaverton

Thank you all for welcoming me. I do appreciate it.

Lorenzo

Wish it was offered closer to home I would like to take it.
Welcome aboard.

thomasbeaverton

Thank you, Lorenzo.

Anyone think this thread would be better off in a different section of the website?

If so, where?

beenthere

Seems to fit well in the Chainsaws board.
Contact, if not done already, your state forestry or enviro resources dept. and talk with some forestry types there, as well as contact the Forestry Dept. at OSU and the state extension service.
Surely they would have interest in safety training of tree cutters.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thomasbeaverton

I did call state forestry and was directed to north American Training solutions and arbor master. I had actually already looked into them and they don't have anything for me. I also spoke with a gentleman from state forestry who heads up the logging department.  That was the closest thing and there wasn't a course that he could reference.

I will contact OSU. For some reason I didn't even think about that. I will have to see, if they do have something,  how much the course would cost.

Thank you for the post. Feel free to contribute any additional information.

thomasbeaverton

Just spoke with a lady at the forestry dept. Of OSU and she wasn't familiar with any course that I was inquiring about. She gave me a number to their extension office in Washington county. I called them and left a voicemail.       Thank you, again, for the post.

beenthere

Another thought, is OR OSHA, and poking around found this link in their "site".

http://www.orosha.org/subjects/chain_saws.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thomasbeaverton

I actually called the OSHA office in portland and the one just north of Albany, about three weeks ago, and couldn't get any relevant information from them. I am looking through their site again to see if I missed anything.

Your time and help is valued and appreciated.  Thank you, sir.

mad murdock

Welcome thomasbeaverton.  I don't know for sure, but you could contact an insurance underwriter in the area, and ask them if they have any recommended training courses that they recognize for giving a guy points for or discounts on insurance.  Another thought would be to contact Weyerhaueser and ask them what their safety training requirements are for their contractors, or where they send their foresters to get powersaw certified. They have safety standards that are very strict, and won't let just anyone run a powersaw on their property.  The other thought is to contact the USDA FS, and see what requirements are for certification as a saw operator for wildland fire fighting.  They have accredited training requirements, and usually it spells out in great detail what and where a guy would go to get certified.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thomasbeaverton

Great ideas! I will do that research today and see what Information they can offer. Much appreciated, sir.

thomasbeaverton

I contacted and left voicemails for both Usda fs and Weyerhaeuser. I hope they have time to return my call. Thank you for the resources. I will have to contact an insurance underwriter later.

Jiles

Your post reminds me of some great advise that an older man gave me about using a chainsaw.
I dought you will hear this advise anywhere but I have never taken a safety course.
He advised me to ALWAYS lock my left elbow when cutting. Over the years, I have had the chainsaw kickback and go straight up!
I realize that there are certain situations that make this "locked elbow" difficult to do but I have this in my mind and it seems to make me more conscious of the danger.
Satisfy needs before desires

John Mc

Around here, some of the "career centers" and continuing education / adult education places offer chainsaw classes from time to time.  Some of these tend to be more landowner oriented than professional logging type training, but hey, any formal training is better than nothing, and it shows a potential employer that you are taking this seriously by getting yourself some training.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Southside

Just a thought - try the National Park Service, they do have the facility at Crater Lake, so there is a presence in Oregon.  The NPS has a formal chain saw safety program and protocol, their Pacific West regional office is in San Francisco, CA.  Call there and ask to speak with the Regional Safety Manager, my guess is they would not allow you to attend one of their classes but they do have contractors who put them on and would be able to give you some names to start with.  If nobody helps you PM me and I will see if I can get you a contact, we moved from Lake County and as they say I "have connections" out that way - its quite possible that and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee but you know.....

Welcome aboard. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thomasbeaverton

Thank you. Locked elbow makes complete sense to me. I appreciate the advice, sir.

thomasbeaverton

I will definitely check out some of the career centers and adult/further education facilities where I am. Thank for the input. I appreciate it.

thomasbeaverton

Southside, I will contact the NPS to see if I can get the name of their contractor that puts on those classes. It sounds like whoever they use would be top-notch. Great advice. Thank you, sir.

beenthere

Quote from: thomasbeaverton on March 05, 2015, 07:55:13 AM
Thank you. Locked elbow makes complete sense to me. I appreciate the advice, sir.

Doesn't to me... but will check it out today and see.  Must be pretty awkward to keep an elbow locked through the cut.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!