iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vertical Band mill

Started by ozarkgem, March 01, 2015, 09:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

anyone currently  using a vertical band mill? I haven't seen any postings about them.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

IndianaJoe

The big commercial mill down the road from me uses one.

brianb88

There is a pallet mill near me that used to use one.  I worked there when I was about 19 or 20 and one of my jobs was to keep the blade lubricated.  The lube was kept in a bucket and there was about a 6' long wooden handle with rags tied around one end.  Just dip it in the bucket and slather it on the running blade.   
Measure twice, cut once

YoungStump

They're fairly common around here, some small Amish mills are running a band head with a 1.5"-2" band on a handset carriage. And others guys run the big 8"-10" bands. From what I hear and see there are probably more vertical band mills in my area than horizontal.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

rwepinetree

yes I run a vertical it is a woodland pro 4 made in the late 90s from Missouri it has a 2 in band and a built in edger a nice mill

yarnammurt

Quote from: rwepinetree on March 01, 2015, 06:36:54 PM
yes I run a vertical it is a woodland pro 4 made in the late 90s from Missouri it has a 2 in band and a built in edger a nice mill

I have looked at buying one of those mills. I would love to see a video of it running.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

ozarkgem

I was looking at the vertical mills. Seem like a lot of mill for the money. Productions seem to be good also.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

what kind of power do you have? Is it a 2 person operation or can you do it by yourself?

ozarkgem

Quote from: YoungStump on March 01, 2015, 06:17:21 PM
They're fairly common around here, some small Amish mills are running a band head with a 1.5"-2" band on a handset carriage. And others guys run the big 8"-10" bands. From what I hear and see there are probably more vertical band mills in my area than horizontal.
I wonder how much power it takes to run an 8" band and what it the world would one cost?

bandmiller2

I don't see the economy if you need a carriage for a verticle band why not just use a circular saw, unless your into huge logs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sandsawmill14

the big bands still run less kerf
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Southside

Two modern, high production, hardwood mills I ship to are vertical band, I would guess 8" to 10", they put out some serious wood. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Some are also double cut.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Don't those over two inch bands require some expensive equipment to sharpen and someone skilled enough to level and tension them.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

YoungStump

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 01, 2015, 09:26:45 PM
Don't those over two inch bands require some expensive equipment to sharpen and someone skilled enough to level and tension them.?? Frank C.
Yes they do. This is probably one of the biggest drawbacks to running a wide band.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Darrel

Someplace on YouTube there is a video of a vertical band mill, not sure how wide the band is but it has saw teeth on both sides.  They load a log on the carriage and run it by the band and cut a slab off and another board comes off on the return trip.  That thing puts out some serious production. I'll have to see if I can find it and post a link here.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

YoungStump

http://youtu.be/l5Gru0IyX6s
This one? There's a few different ones on YouTube.

Darrel

@ YoungStump: The one I was thinking of had a stationary saw and the log on the carriage moved, but same basic concept.
1992 LT40HD

Southside

Just wondering how do mills that produce like this deal with stress release in logs?  Is there simply a higher cull % ?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YoungStump

http://youtu.be/d_jjrv9X5UU
Here is one where the log and carriage moves past a stationary head. We actually buy low grade logs and poles from this company.

beenthere

Quote from: Southside logger on March 02, 2015, 11:14:28 AM
Just wondering how do mills that produce like this deal with stress release in logs?  Is there simply a higher cull % ?
They have to deal with it. Likely do by turning the log as they saw...
In the video you could see where they turned back to a face that likely wasn't still straight from stress, so made a clean-up pass (dusting) to square it off before taking the next board.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

When I was a kid, I would sneek into the mill where my dad worked and watch them slice up logs. I wanted to be a sawyer when I grew up, but I became a planerman, s4s on 100,000+ bf on most days.
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

I enjoyed those videos.  Yup, the sawyer turned the logs to open the correct fact to deal with stress in logs with sweep.  Interesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

longtime lurker

I've worked around band resaws a fair bit - Robinson, Stenner, Dankaert and similar built machines that last forever - and I've seen them setup with both roundabouts or rack benches, and heard of one with a reversing belt setup. You can use them for log breakdown if you like, but me I'd prefer a circle number 1. When you start playing with wide bands you need a proper debarker though, the cost of filing means you keep those bands away from dirt and bark.

I dislike band primaries, but I do like band resaws. I'd like to see a Brewco 3" headrig in action as a resaw. 3" is the best of both worlds ifn you ask me... sharpen and set at home without the hundred grand filing room setup, but still got that bit more stiffness then a narrow band and you can start thinking about stellite or TC teeth.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Darrel

Another thing about those wide bands, they make one heck of a racket when they break!
1992 LT40HD

rwepinetree

I HAVE A 38 HP KABOTA ON THE SAW AND A 20 HP HONDA ON THE EDGER AND HYDRO PUMP. I RUN A 2 IN BAND EHAT RUNS ABOUT 43 DOLLARS PER BAND

ozarkgem

Quote from: rwepinetree on March 03, 2015, 05:46:41 PM
I HAVE A 38 HP KABOTA ON THE SAW AND A 20 HP HONDA ON THE EDGER AND HYDRO PUMP. I RUN A 2 IN BAND EHAT RUNS ABOUT 43 DOLLARS PER BAND
Does the 38 HP work good?

rwepinetree

yes it does and I run it alone but another person helps a lot

rwepinetree

Maybe if I can find out how to put videos on this page I will take one of me sawing

ozarkgem

videos are cool. That is why I have kids to do that kind of stuff.

beenthere

Put videos on YouTube, and then link them to your posts here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!