iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit Power Turboed

Started by David-L, March 01, 2015, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Would like some advice on a turbo kit for a 353 Detroit. My skidder is a 225 Timberjack, 1978 with the flat hood panels. Where does the turbo set up on the motor in relationship to the engine compartment. Wondering if anyone has done this to get more power and quiet this beast down a bit. Love these motors, Mine has started all winter with no issues even in the coldest days in Feb. I have a good motor in the machine now so swapping it out for Cummins power sounds expensive to me when mine is running well. I have the bigger drivetrain so more power should not be a concern. Thanks.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

snowstorm

you would have to change pistons also to lower compression pistons

ga jones

The turbo sticks out the the side you need to build a box around it. To protect it like timberjack did on the factory turbos or in the hood. There are a few different configurations.And u don't need lower compression Pistons as long as your not using bigger injectors and pushing higher horsepower. N45 or n50 injectors are fine. The turbo Pistons are 18:1 non are 20:1.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

dgdrls

Sits like this from Detroit

David-L

Any one on the forum have a 353 turboed in a 200 series Jack? Thanks for the replies.

Maine logger88

I know a guy who has one in a 240A it is quiet for sure! Supposed to be the same hp as a natural 4-53. One thing I have heard is the turboed 353s didn't start well cold unless they had natural Pistons as the turboed ones were lower compression. But as you have a gen and block heater that wouldn't be an issue anyway.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

timberjack 240a

Ive got a 86 240a with a 353t. Good power, quiet, great on fuel. Had a 453 natural in a 240a growing up in my fathers skidder. That machine had 18.4-34s and mine has 23.1-26. I think my skidder has a bit more power. Never had a problem in the cold. Was -18 here tuesday and just put a hand held torch on the fuel filter and air intake for a few minutes and it fired right up.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

David-L

timberjack 240A, Would you be willing to take a couple of pics with the side panels off to see how it's set up and post them here when you get a chance. What side is the roots blower on with your motor. Thanks.

timberjack 240a

Won't be back on my job until the end of the week, lots of trucking to do for the next few days. When I get over there I will take some pics though. Blower and turbo are both on right side but I'm pretty sure you can switch it if needed. I'm pretty sure it's set up just like the one pictured above!
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

ga jones

I believe The picture above is a 353 silver. It's a slightly higher valve cover then a standard 353.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

so il logger

I was wondering why the valve cover is so tall in that pic. The cover on my 353N is probably half as tall, there are so many variables with these as far as how everything can be flipped from one side of the block to the other. Great little engines, I have never been around a T model but I wish my 225 had the turbo

ga jones

There are many differences between a standard And a silver. 2 piece Pistons bypass blower different cooling ports different cam valve springs. Timing gears front cover valve cover

so il logger

Very interesting ga jones, what is the reasoning for all the difference? I am just truly curious. PM me so as to not get the thread to far off topic

Puffergas

It's been over 20 years since I worked on a Detroit but I think there is an oil passage that gets blocked off so that the turbo gets oil first. Maybe before the roots. The oil drain wants a clear path out if I remember correctly.

Besides the pistons I think the timing gets tweaked. The cam might be different.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

David-L

I am going to research this and buy a extra 353 and go through it and turbo it at some point. Can't have the machine down to long. Looks like I would be swapping the roots blower and the fuel and oil around. more work than interested unless I had one sitting around I could putt on.

ga jones

David what your looking to do. Doesn't need any internal work. You can position the turbo where you need to depending on hood and side panels. All the piping you modify yourself. A silver is a totally different engine. However a 353t is still laid out in a similar manner.

ga jones

The blower on a factory 353 turbo isn't any different. Either are the rods.Silver engines are somewhat rare. Not the same as a factory 353 turbo.

ga jones

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on March 02, 2015, 12:31:02 AM
There are many differences between a standard And a silver. 2 piece Pistons bypass blower different cooling ports different cam valve springs. Timing gears front cover valve cover
i never have been into a T engine. can you or some one explain to me just what a bypass blower is or whats the difference between that and a regular blower?
also if there is no difference, what good would it do to add a turbo..........i need to take one apart lol.

ga jones

A bypass blower has a valve that opens to let charge air in without going through the blower. Only on the silver. The blower doesnt do anything once the turbo is spooled.its better efficiency.the factory 353 turbos didn't have this feature only the silver series.you can add one from a silver engine. If you want to build big power out of a 53 you need one.the blower will actually slow the air down.

treeslayer2003

i see, that makes more sense......the blower only controls the air at low rpm. at high rpm the turbo takes over.
what then is the advantage of a turbo over a standard blower. just makes it quieter is all?

ga jones

More power to a point and yes as quiet as a cummins

treeslayer2003

i have a rebuild to do on a 353......might check into a turbo.

so il logger

Tree slayer I have a few parts left over from my old 353, I saved what was good

treeslayer2003

Quote from: so il logger on March 02, 2015, 08:30:11 PM
Tree slayer I have a few parts left over from my old 353, I saved what was good
i won't know till i get into it........suspect head cracks but may be a timeing issue. besides a busted piston lol.

Thank You Sponsors!