iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cradle build

Started by hackberry jake, March 01, 2015, 02:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

SawyerBrown sent me plans to what I'm calling the "forestry forum cradle". There is a number of threads in the archive of where people have built similar style cradles, including @Magicman and @SawyerBrown. Today I just flattened and squared up boards and glued up what I could with my small collection of clamps. You REALLY never can have too many clamps. Tomorrow I will finish the glue-ups and start shaping the parts. Here is the progress so far.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

And the legend continues.  :)  Looking good so far with the glue ups. 

Looks like that one will be highly valuable.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Hackberry Jake,
Nice looking project you have going on there. I love Walnut anything. The best thing I see there is your firewood stash.  Early on in my building projects with my lathe, I made some legs for Nancy's jewelry cabinet. She caught me taking firewood from the rack, and SCOLDED me good till she saw the secret project. I keep some back now too!   8) 8) 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

yukon cornelius

Jake, do you use biscuits or dowlel in your glue ups? I haven't on the few things I have done but I always worry about them. that cradle is going to look amazing. I cant wait to see the finished product.
I agree with Andy on the wood stash. I find myself pulling a lot of my firewood pieces and setting them aside for projects. My wife even sees good stuff and sets it aside for my evaluation haha! sometimes I say, no its just firewood, and she holds it anyway knowing I will use it.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Looking good there Jake!  I waiting on decent enough temps to put on the finish here with the" forestry forum cradle"
the only plans I had was the photo MM showed, as it has been said, "at least it's one of a kind" ;D  for sure,, lots to learn in this wood working,, :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Yukon, I dont use anything in my glue-ups. I have thought about getting a biscuit joiner before but mainly just for alignment of the boards. I dont think they add much strength. Take long boards and glue them together. Only put glue on half of the board. Once dry, put a wedge between them and drive it in until the boards break apart. The fracture line will be through one of the boards. The glue joint will still be intact.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

The two panels for the ends are wider than my jointer and planer, so I flattened and surfaced them on the cnc router. While they were on the cnc, I figured I would cut them out as well. On hindsight, I'm not real sure why i left that knot in there.
I ran the grain direction sideways in order to fasten these pieces to the sides of the cradle without wood movement issues, but that left me with a narrow section of crossgrain on the upright. This seems like a weak spot to me so I may re-inforce it with some maple accent or something. Any ideas?

drobertson

Nice! that router is kinda nice isn't it?  I made the mistake of running my end boards vertical, so I guess time will tell on the movement issues,  should be sealing this week end, temps going to be lots more favorable here,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on March 05, 2015, 01:26:26 PM
I made the mistake of running my end boards vertical
I disagree that running the end panels vertical was a mistake.  Jake, I would "cheat" (again) and run a long bow tie, etc. from the top to the bottom to add support to your panels.  Bow tie or some kinda "baby" toy thingy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

The plan I am using calls for a length of around 35" but there are some plans online that are around 20". How long is your cradle?

Magicman

WDH

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all

Jake, don't put your cradle in a tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2015, 09:02:42 PM
Mine is 36" inside.
THANKS MM! Does it seem too long? I think ill just follow the plans and make it 36" or 35". Too long is better than too short.

Magicman

It seems to be proportioned quite well.

Darrel

Looks nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project.  (And the progress along the way, od course)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

hackberry jake

My first mortise and tennon.

The mortise

The tennon... most of the removal happened on the RAS.

after some chisel work

and some sander work.

WDH

That is going to be a super strong joint.  Should be able to handle a fall nicely. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

WDH

Is the board on the bottom of the tenon board in the last pic the  smiley_devil?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on March 15, 2015, 07:27:03 AM
Is the board on the bottom of the tenon board in the last pic the  smiley_devil?
nope. Old weathered cedar. Just for when the chisel slipped off the tennon.

hackberry jake

I made some more progress on the cradle.

WDH

hackberry jake

The knot is growing on me as well. I think I am starting down the path of a box-joint obsession.

SawyerBrown

Nice!  Is that maple?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!