iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood turning gone wrong

Started by yukon cornelius, February 28, 2015, 02:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

wellllll.....I sent my first hunk of wood flying and spinning on the floor. I think it was from a cedar knot. it was getting grabby then it breaks loose  :o this wood lathering is fun! Lathering is a word right??  ;D t was my 4th piece and my first glue up piece. I was making a stacked striped cedar/ pine cup thing....utensil holder
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Well I reckon it won't be the last time! show us some pics when you get a chance Larry!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

Here is the first thing I ever did. an cedar easter egg! I have made 2 others since I watch some videos and give it a whirl. I like these eggs though. the pastel color of the cedar is perfect 

I am bad at taking good pictures I usually just tear into it and then later think "i should have got a pic"

Andy White

Larry,
Now I see where you are getting all that pretty Cedar material you use. How long does it take to incubate and hatch that egg??? That thing is great looking for sure! Did you run it thru the planer?   8) 8) 8) 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

yukon cornelius

andy, if I send you a cedar egg you could maybe hatch it and grow it into a big log to mill. ;D  it took me about a half hour to make it. I think my tools are dull though.
I have a project I did plane using that awesome planer that will be done later and I will post a pic of it!

drobertson

Nice man!  I sure like cedar, just a great contrast, looks like you wasted no time in getting after it!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

That's one pretty wooden egg! :) Coat of poly and it will really pop. smiley_thumbsup
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

yukon cornelius

one coat added tonight. looks good!

LeeB

Beware of those flying chunks of cedar. I have a nice little custom signature that parts my left eyebrow from a big chunk.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

hackberry jake

I am leary of turning cedar, unless it's a glue up. When I first got my lathe, I mounted a firewood sized round of cedar and started spinning it. I dont know if it had internal cracks already or if the tailstock pressure did it, but it split apart and scared the bajeebies outta me.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

justallan1

I haven't flung nothing yet, but have got to aggressive and bound my chisel a couple times doing the inside of a cup/pencil holder. It will certainly wake you up fast.
I have figured out that the carbide insert tools are simply awesome. I didn't have great chisels to begin with to compare them with, but am definitely getting more. You kick up the RPM's and let the chips fly.

21incher

Nice cedar egg. I used to turn maple tops that looked like that with a piece of dowel sticking out of the fat side. I have found with softwood I have to snug up the centers or retighten my 3 jaw chuck every couple of minutes to keep the wood from chattering and flying. A good face shield helps protect you from flying parts.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

I have had issues with having to re snug a lot I have a spur center and a cup center or dead center with a cup I put candle wax on the cup. for the eggs It hasn't been as bad but the piece that flung it didn't want to spin very well and the spur drilled into it deep. I took it off and made a faceplate out of the sanding disk plate that came with my shopsmith and screwed through it. I need more research on how to do it. I also need to get those tools sharp. they were cheapies from harbor freight. only $18 for a set that's the investment money I was willing to put in it to see if I even like turning wood. it turns out I do. I can see having a lot of fun with this.

Ianab

To go with your cedar egg.  :D

I got lucky and a decent set of old Marples chisels came with my lathe. Still learning to sharpen them, and a I would like a few more, but it's good enough to get started.  Likewise I've modded a old sanding plate that came included with a few more holes, and it now doubles as a bowl faceplate. I've also got this strange little chuck that's basically a lump of alloy with a 2" hole up the middle and allen screws around it. You turn the end of your piece down to 2" and stick it in the tube and tighten the screws. Works good for egg cups.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Ianab on March 01, 2015, 04:00:02 PM
To go with your cedar egg.  :D

I got lucky and a decent set of old Marples chisels came with my lathe. Still learning to sharpen them, and a I would like a few more, but it's good enough to get started.  Likewise I've modded a old sanding plate that came included with a few more holes, and it now doubles as a bowl faceplate. I've also got this strange little chuck that's basically a lump of alloy with a 2" hole up the middle and allen screws around it. You turn the end of your piece down to 2" and stick it in the tube and tighten the screws. Works good for egg cups.  :)
those are awesome! I will have to try some of those.

CHARLIE

Yukon Cornelius, I started turning wood back in '95. That was way back in the last century as my brother Tom would tell me.  I had problems with catches back then and didn't know what I was doing to cause them.  I took a beginning woodturning class (an evening course) by Alan Lacer.  Here is what I learned that helped me.  "Ride the Bevel"   Put the heel of the bevel against the wood and keep raising the handle until the edge starts cutting and then stay on your bevel, which gives you control.  When you come off the bevel, the only thing touching the wood is the cutting edge and you have lost control. Pretty soon that edge will dig in and bad things happen.

One of the best things I ever did was join a woodturning club.  I'm sure there is one near your area. There is a lot of expertise in a woodturning club and the experienced turners are always willing to help you learn.

Another thing I learned is that "Speed Kills".  I turn my projects as slow as I can.  About the only time I'll crank up the speed is if the object is real small.

There is a lot of good tutorial videos on YouTube that are worth watching concerning the proper use of a cutting tool (gouge, scraper or skew).

One thing I purchased was a Oneway 4 Jaw Chuck. Since I bought that I haven't used a faceplate since. I love using the chuck.  They are expensive but worth it in my book.  Penn State Industries sells a 4 jaw chuck called a Barracuda that might be good and it is cheaper than the Oneway.

Another thing I learned from the professional woodturners is not to buy a set of lathe tools.  You can turn DanG near anything you want with 4 or 5 good tools.  Get High Speed Steel too.  Don't buy carbon steel 'cause the edge doesn't last as long.  Packard makes some good tools and I have a few of them. I like Crown tools. I do have some Sorby, but you pay more for the name.  About all you need is a spindle gouge, bowl gouge, scraper, parting tool and a skew.  Only add specialty tools as you need them.

Concerning sharpening your tools.  There are also some good tutorials on YouTube on lathe tool sharpening.  Alan Lacer has some very good instructions on tool sharpening on his website. (http://woodturninglearn.net/) .  I purchased a Wolverine Sharpening Jig from Oneway quite a few years ago that I love. I get accurate edges fast. I think there are some knockoffs of this jig and you might check Penn State Industries to see what they have.  There are also plans online (find them using Google) to build your own.  A lot of quality sharpening comes from good quality grinding wheels and not those coarse gray ones that come with the grinder.  Buy a pink or white 1 inch wide, 8 inch diameter grinding wheel that is about 100 grit. I bought my grinder from Woodcraft more than 10 years ago and it has two speeds. I always run mine at the low speed which is about half of a standard grinder.

I hope this helps.
Charlie
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!