iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Book or Article about how chainsaws work?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, February 28, 2015, 09:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Anyone have a favorite explaining how chainsaws are put together & work, from the ground up?  Like a textbook for someone wanting to learn from the beginning?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

I have never seen one. Sounds like a good collaboration project for my retirement once I get the other retirement projects completed. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SteveinUT

I have the Clymer Chainsaw Service Manual. It's OK, but not great. It does cover virtually any saw you can think of up 'til '98 or '99, but the info is limited and the illustrations are so-so. It has some decent info on chains and carburetors as well. If you buy it, find it on Amazon and get it used. I wouldn't pay $30 or so that I see it sell for new. I got mine off of Amazon for $10 shipped, if I remember correctly.

http://www.clymer.com/clymer-manuals-proseries-chain-saw-service-manual-10th-edition-css10
-Steve
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
RIP TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy- KIA 22 Jan 06, near Taji, Iraq. You will never be forgotten.

038 Magnum, 2100CD, 460 Rancher, 10-10A, and a few more...

HolmenTree

Probably the best book out there that I have read on chainsaws is Barnacle Parps Chainsaw Guide.
The amazing thing it's almost 40 years old and the information is still very accurate up to date , only thing missing of course is todays modern chainsaw technical information.
But for good solid information on maintaining and use of chainsaws it's 300 or so pages can't be beat.
You can google download it as a PDF for a good read.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

I haven't read it, but here's a link to a downloadable copy of Barnacle Parp's Chainsaw Guide.  (The first page of the file says that it is posted with the permission of the copyright holder, and that one of the permitted uses is for "personal educational use".)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Thanks for finding that John, very well written informative book. I found another pdf of the book when I googled about Oregon 51AL sawchain and the book showed up with the pdf download. But I didn't want risking any copyright laws by posting it here.
I noticed the author published a new edition 1985 book of the same title. That book is going for $124 CDN for used on Amazon.  :o

John Mc

1985 may be old enough that the copyright has run out on it?? If so, there may be legally posted images of that somewhere as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

terrifictimbersllc

I just ordered a copy of the original 1977 hardcover in "good" condition, for 99 cents plus 3.99 shipping.  See what happens.  There's a 1985 "new" version out there for as little as $11 plus shipping used in paperback.

P.s. my 99cent purchase is on the way already!  DanG!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

HolmenTree

I read the 1985 edition cover to cover about 10 years ago  when I borrowed it from our local public library.  Then just the other day I found the 1977 edition here on the internet. ...brought back some memories.
Yeah you sure can't beat that 99 cent purchase Dan. :D

kensfarm

Get a broken chainsaw... take it apart.  No book required.  Nothing like first hand experience. 

terrifictimbersllc

How did you know I've got a smashed MS460 hanging on the wall in my garage?   :D :D :D

That's the way I have always done it most of my life with generally good results.  Had a professional career and now a sawing business both pretty much started by tinkering with things by myself.  But sometimes things got tossed in the trash without lots of learning.  Last summer was a toaster I took apart twice that I was the only one who could get it to make toast and got rejected from the kitchen.   franken-smiley  Also remember when I was 12 taking apart and putting back together an old engine with a kick starter on it.  Spent most of a summer on the farm messing with that thing with nothing to show for it not even having a clue what was wrong with it or what I was doing.  ::) 8) ::) 8)

Thinking I'd like to try something different this time like reading about saws first so I know what I'm looking at and how the parts work together.  Got a couple of 090AV's that run but are harder to start than I like, and wouldn't mind doing something with those so they start with only a few pulls.  Without ruining them.

HolmenTree

The only good book for chainsaw overhaul is a service manual from the actual company who manufactured the saw.
Those are just a click away to go onto your favorites from a few notable saw sites on the internet.

But that's the power of the internet, probably why no one bothered to write and publish an actual good  chainsaw repair manual in the last 20 years or so.

CTYank

"Two-Stroke Engine Repair & Maintenance" by Paul Dempsey has lots of good info on diagnosis & repair, besides really detailed info on diaphragm carbs. $18.38 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Engine-Repair-Maintenance-Dempsey/dp/0071625399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425437489&sr=8-1&keywords=two-stroke+engines+repair+and+maintenance
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!