iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where can you buy a good quality Pit Saw?

Started by Caracal, February 27, 2015, 09:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Does anyone have a good source for a Pit Saw?  Thanks for your help

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rooster 58

Pit saw? Like they used way back in the day?  say_what

Jeff

Of all the things that I have collected over the years, the one thing that has evaded me is a pitsaw. I do have a Quaker framesaw. I know of no where you can buy a pitsaw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

Cal., you will probably end up  modifying a two man cross cut saw. I hope it for demo purposes only that why they call it the "pits". Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Caracal

LeeB - Appreciate the humor  :D

rooster 58 - Yes PIT SAW - like they used way back when

Thanks Jeff

bandmiller2 - modifications to a two man cross cut would defeat the purpose of the demonstration, but thanks for the suggestion

Standing by for anyone who has a solution other than trying to buy one from India and therefore having to make a bulk purchase when I only want 2 saws

47sawdust

Caracal,
Try www.frogwoodtools.com Dixon,Ill.1-815-288-3811.
7 foot pit saw with all hardware for $215.00
Hope that helps,best of luck.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Caracal

Thank you Sir, I have reached out to them.

BTW, price per unit delivered to North Carolina from India is $87 but a minimum order of 10.  If 8 other people want a saw I may be motivated to go that route.

beenthere

Caracal
You mention using two, and for a demonstration... would you tell us about it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

With a God quality pit saw, do you have to use "wholy" water to keep it cool?
Or is it one that angels use?
Couldn't resist. :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

woodyone.john

Is this a case of entry level saw milling, as hinted there may be easier ways.
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Cedarman on February 28, 2015, 04:16:42 PM
With a God quality pit saw, do you have to use "wholy" water to keep it cool?
Or is it one that angels use?
Couldn't resist. :D :D :D
Doubt there's one in heaven, there is no crying or pain there.  Of course I guess if it makes someone happy, there could be. :D 
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+21%3A4
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

Quote from: Caracal on February 28, 2015, 01:49:15 PM
Thank you Sir, I have reached out to them.

BTW, price per unit delivered to North Carolina from India is $87 but a minimum order of 10.  If 8 other people want a saw I may be motivated to go that route.

Caracal, you might want to think about the quality of steel involved in India vs US made, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

rasman57

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 28, 2015, 12:49:24 PM
Caracal,
Try www.frogwoodtools.com Dixon,Ill.1-815-288-3811.
7 foot pit saw with all hardware for $215.00
Hope that helps,best of luck.
Mick

That is a 1993 price according to the fine print.   Hope they can help and inflation has not been bad.

Caracal

OK, so I fixed the typo  :D

Frog Wood Tools do not have any available and don't know when new ones will be forthcoming. 

I do know the Indian saws are being shipped to Africa and other third world countries where they are being used on a daily basis, so yes, the quality of steel from Germany may be a whole lot better but I am also mindful that with a limited amount of time available I can't afford to let perfect be the enemy of good.

Anyone interested in a Pit Saw if I go ahead and place the order for 10.

Thanks for all the comments about how much it sucks and there is an easier way.  I own a bandsaw and use that for processing timber.  This is destined for an education operation and the participants are supposed to gain an appreciation for how much it truly sucks.

bandmiller2

If someone was building a replica up and down, sash saw, he would need several pit saws. Come to think of it what type of saw do they use on modern sash mills.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Caracal

I don't believe a sash saw is configured the same way

Update:

There is a possibility of buying a saw from a local collector - should get an answer in a few days, however this is likely to be a show piece as opposed to the workhorse for the demo.

If the Indian blades are the only option (subject to a pending third party) then I have found a blacksmith who will make the tiller for me.

The block or bottom handle is easy enough to fabricate with access to a lathe and some sharp chisels. 

Dave Shepard

You could try calling places like Plimoth Plantation or Colonial Williamsburg to see where they get their saws. I've done a little pit sawing. I hope to keep it that way. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

5quarter

Here's a pic of the saw plate, tiller and box from an old catalog. it might help if you intend to fab one.

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mad murdock

cool pic 5quarter!  Not knowing the exact year of that catalog page, but guessing it was in the era when gold was $20/oz, That would put that $9.00 saw blade at about just under $600 in todays money, where it still made new.  My have times changed!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Just because someone in India or elsewhere calls it a pit saw does not make it one.  I have seen several like in the catalog picture above in antique stores.  Maybe an ad on Craigslist or an antique board would help.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Dave Shepard

I've seen a few ice saws called pit saws. I hear sawing ice is rough on the pitman. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Yup.  Every so called pitsaw I have encountered was not a pitsaw, it was an icesaw. There are very very few pitsaws out there anymore.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Caracal

Having exhausted all short turnaround options the answer is to import 10 Pit Saw blades from India.  I have a local blacksmith standing by to make tiller handles.

Whether the Indian saws are any good remains to be seen, I will let you know.

Jim_Rogers

Have you truly researched that they are actual pit saws?

I'd hate to see you get stuck with something you can't use.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!