iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trade?

Started by Peter Drouin, February 26, 2015, 12:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have a guy wants to trade even for my JD 690 unknown Hrs run very well and is tight.

For a 2005 990 JD with a 1000HRs on it.

It has a 40Horse Yanmar in it.
What do you think?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

That's a nice tractor but it's always nice to have a excavator if needed .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

LeeB

Tough choice. The tractor is nice and the back hoe attachment would make it even more handy. I think I would keep the big boy though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

whitepine2

Seems like a fair trade but it all depends on what your needs are
and what will give you the most and best use.

Dave Shepard

If Big John is tight and dry and functional, I'd keep it. Not that the trade is a bad one, but unless you have a lot of light landscaping planned, then John and Big John should have everything covered.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

I think I'd keep the excavator :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Autocar

Iam with Corley I would keep the track hoe !
Bill

sprucebunny

A quality excavator in that price and size class is much harder to find than a tractor with those attatchments and specs.
JMO
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

landscraper

Another smaller tractor will just do the same kind of stuff as your big tractor, only slower and less of it.  Although they are ok for occasional use, a backhoe attachment is a poor substitute in all regards for a functioning excavator.  If you got rid of the excavator and then still needed one from time to time think what it would cost to hire or rent one.  Dollar wise I'd say the deal is a tad in his favor too, a 690 of that vintage in good running condition would bring about $16K to $20K around here, the unknown hours would put it on the lower end.  The backhoe attachment, tractor and scraper blade together is worth $14K to $16K tops in my book. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

21incher

I would say keep big john and buy a cheep compact with a loader if you need it. That little tractor would most likely have a hard time moving those logs that big john is tossing around.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

GDinMaine

I think the price is quite comparable. That JD tractor is right in the $20k range around here. It really depends on what you want to do. If you only run the excavator 10 hours a year, then you might get more use out of the tractor.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Peter Drouin

Well, the rest of the story. I had put the 690 on CL with no calls 25,000.00 Or best offer.
I'm looking for a 1044 lull. The 1044 will lift 10,000 lb and that's handy to lift a 45' log and reach over lumber to get lumber. This guy is clearing land and can use the 690.
So, I thought I can sell the 990 JD for maybe 20,000.00. Kind of get the 20,000.00 in a round about way.
I use the 690 only 2 times in 2014.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Brucer

My 33 year old JD 750 has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel and it's still going strong :).

Since you were planning to sell the excavator, you've obviously given a lot of thought to how much you really need it. If the tractor you figure you can use the tractor more, I'd say go for the trade.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Dave Shepard

I'd just about rob a bank to get a LULL. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shinnlinger

I had an '84 690B and I loved it but at a certain point you get done with most of the stuff you need a big excavator for and my neighbor had to have it.  We made a deal and I even get it back on occasion which makes seller remorse pretty easy to deal with.  The JD tractor is a nice machine and a lot more versatile and the hoe might be handy but after the 690, a tractor mounted hoe will seen insignificant but it sounds like your looking to sell.  I have a hard time believing you would get 20k for it though.

I had a big Lull up here building my house and it was pretty handy to have around too.   I could have bought it for a decent price but just couldn't justify it .  Last I knew the brakes went out on it and  it is just sitting.  I think it was also an 84, with a 99 duetz engine but think it was the 840 Highlander.   It was a 4x4 and had the stabilizers on the front and could reach 45 feet or so.  Would you like me to inquire on it's availability?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 26, 2015, 08:16:23 PM
I'd just about rob a bank to get a LULL. :D

Me too, but I like my freedom  :D :D :D :D
I have looked at the off road forklifts. But they don't reach out like a lull. And in the off season [winter] I know I can work it on a construction site . Or use it to pile snow 40' high. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: shinnlinger on February 26, 2015, 09:04:43 PM
I had an '84 690B and I loved it but at a certain point you get done with most of the stuff you need a big excavator for and my neighbor had to have it.  We made a deal and I even get it back on occasion which makes seller remorse pretty easy to deal with.  The JD tractor is a nice machine and a lot more versatile and the hoe might be handy but after the 690, a tractor mounted hoe will seen insignificant but it sounds like your looking to sell.  I have a hard time believing you would get 20k for it though.

I had a big Lull up here building my house and it was pretty handy to have around too.   I could have bought it for a decent price but just couldn't justify it .  Last I knew the brakes went out on it and  it is just sitting.  I think it was also an 84, with a 99 duetz engine but think it was the 840 Highlander.   It was a 4x4 and had the stabilizers on the front and could reach 45 feet or so.  Would you like me to inquire on it's availability?

Dave

Can I get a rain ck on that? I do have my heart set on a 1044 with a John Deere motor.
And 20,000 is a lot, But I have to start somewhere. I will miss the 690c.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

shinnlinger

Ok,

But here are some action shots.  He repainted it since these were taken....

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

DDDfarmer

Guy was trying to sell a 690 here last summer for 4-5k needing pump work.  I think it went for scrap.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Quote from: shinnlinger on February 26, 2015, 09:24:13 PM
Ok,

But here are some action shots.  He repainted it since these were taken....

YA, that's a nice lull a 844 is good for 8000LB.   Thanks
A&P saw Mill LLC.

uplander

Kind of depends how much you need to dig. Anytime I was around one of those 690's I always noticed how slow they were. For my use I would do the trade. The tractor is a lot more versatile.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Dave Shepard

He's not going to use the tractor, he's going to sell it to buy a LULL. ;)

drobertson

always seems to be a close play at home plate ;D  If you only use it twice a year, then maybe do the deal and get what you are needing.
Easier said than done, but once it's over then you will have what you've really been needing.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

The tractor might be easier to sell.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Hilltop366

Quote from: LeeB on February 27, 2015, 11:26:02 AM
The tractor might be easier to sell.
x2

I'm thinking I could sell 10 tractors like that before anyone would look at the excavator.

Of corse someone will call wanting to buy the excavator right after you trade. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!