iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rhino 354l Chinese skidder rebuild project

Started by Justify008, February 25, 2015, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I had an old Ford I just ran a lower pressure radiator cap. I went to a parts store,one guy had no idea what I wanted,his co worker spoke up and told him what I wanted. No more leak.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

Justify008

Well had a bit of a setback in progress. I started tinkering with the transfer case yesterday to see if I could figure out how to put it back together turns out I'm missing the output shaft to run the winches, The drive shaft for the winches, and the double universal joint/swivel thingy to connect the rear axle driveshaft. So I decided to call Eddie Nash and sons in NH. since there name was on the side of it thinking they probably sold it originally they would be able to answer my prayers. Turns out they sold 3 of them total and they were all shipped to Florida. They have no books no manuals no parts. I am pretty sure I'm screwed Unless I can find a machine shop to make the parts but I'm sure that will cost a fortune.  :'(

OntarioAl

Post some pictures of your transfer case . Some of us may be able to come up with viable work arounds (i.e. adapters to connect your transfer case to North American drive train components) to get your  machine up and running.
Al
Al Raman

Mountaynman

you cant find any markings on the transfer cases should be something on another note used to own that old loader trk of yours gd to see it still in use sold it to a guy down your way prob 6 years ago gd luck with your hunt for parts youll get it
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

enigmaT120

Here in Salem there's a company called 6 States, and I think they could make any drive shaft you could describe.  Those double cardon joints, or whatever they're called when they're not on the front drive shaft of my '81 Toyota pickup, can be spendy but they can probable come up with something.  They're part of a chain, see if there's one near you and ask them about it.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

schmalts

Interesting thread. I have a Chinese 4X4 diesel tractor that I bought new 15 years ago with a 495 engine that is 55HP.  Been pretty darn reliable and has plenty of power. I looked at what it was compared to what I could get used for the same price and took the chance.  The website Aliexpress and Alibaba can be a great source of parts if you need them for that engine.  Good luck with it.  I am actually in the market for a small forwarding trailer and was surprised what they are making over there these days in that market.

Justify008

Got a little update took the transfer case out found a local machine shop finally that would make me a shaft. Just have to order some bearings and seals and put her back together.

tantoy

Was it a brand name transfer case (Rockwell, Dana, ect) or specific to your machine?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Duhnis

The Rhino Skidder my brother  & I looked at was a yellow one and the engine tag stated 28.5KW, It was a demo from Nash Equipment. Never seen the red version.

Duhnis

Justify008

No tag on it so im guessing it's specific to the machine. I called nash in the beginning I guess they sold 3 total before rhino went out of business

hawlem

Good morning! I´m from Austria and I have found your pictures of your skidder at Google. I think this RHINO 354 L is a Iwafuji T30. My dad has worked with this machine some years and it´s a little but good machine. So I don´t know if you have a dealer for Iwafuji near to you. I also have a Iwafuji T41, it´s bigger than the T30. With spare parts it´s not so easy. I have asked Iwafuji in Japan for parts. They can send. They also send me a spare parts list and a operation manual.

Do you repair the skidder in the meantime?

Looking forward reading from you.
Best regards, max

logman81

Im curious as well about what has become of the skidder too.

lopet

Running out of ambition, motivation or losing interest, isn't that what usual happens ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

logman81

What became of this skidder does anyone know?

logman81

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

logman81

Anyone know what became of this skidder? I've recently found a guy that owns a running and working one that I've been talking to and is willing to part with it.

47sawdust

Looks like the fella runnin' it had to be shoehorned in.Might be only meant to be run by a person of Chinese origin.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

B.C.C. Lapp

I think maybe you'd be better off with a little TimberJack 208 or a JD 440.   Its hard enough getting parts for these machines but you can find them with some searching around.   Might be darn near impossible to find parts for that Rhino.    
And any one that owns an old skidder will tell you it aint "IF" its going to break, its when.   Cause it will.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

logman81

I'm not really worried about parts I've owned many rare skidders over the years. You have to know how to weld/fabricate and I have a family member that works at a machine shop that can make just about anything it would need. I have also been in contact with another guy that has one that is in very good condition and 100% operational in Maine he is considering selling possibly. I could buy that one and maybe buy the other as a parts machine that would last me a lifetime of spare parts. 

logman81

B.C.C. Lapp

Looks like your in business logman81. 8)
I always put chains on the front tires of a skidder.   Or bull rings on the front and a less aggressive chain on the back. If your not on snow and ice chains on both is to much traction and you can tear things up.
I'd be interested to see how you like the skidder and how its works for you. So keep us posted. thumbs-up
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

logman81

oh lol I'm not the owner he just sent me more pics of him using it and I've been talking about it with him.

Thank You Sponsors!