iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Valmet 546 transmission/torque converter problems

Started by Cody.matthees, January 24, 2023, 04:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody.matthees

Hey guys, probably the first time I've posted on here. I log out in western Minnesota, mostly hardwoods but we throw a little pine and aspen in every now and then. 

I bought a Valmet 546 forwarder this fall and have been running it most of the fall and winter. It's got the 3x3 with torque converter transmission. 

We got started on a new job a week ago and the machine has been struggling to move. A lot of times I have to be in first gear to move, especially when loaded or even on a slight hill. Sometimes even in first it will struggle to move forward. Reverse doesn't seem to be a problem. I've noticed the converter temp is getting hot sometimes as well. 

Any thoughts or ideas where to start?

Thanks! 

240b

Welcome! 
   hows the fluid level? does it smell burnt? whats in the filters? clutch pack toast?

barbender

I'm no help with a power shift Valmet, but welcome, Cody! I'm in Minnesota too, north central.
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

Change filter for sure. Add a little extra oil. Even a tad over full. Warm and running in neutral.  Run in reverse and check trans temp and make a mental note of how it operated. Then run in forward while checking trans temp and compare how the power was. I have two of these trans. Never touched them. In my forwarders they never get warm. 160-190. I'd have to look but I think there good to about 230. They used these in grapple cable skidders as well. Built for pulling all day. I'm guessing either your forward clutches are getting bad (which would creat heat and smelly dirty fluid) or possibly oil is bypassing internally. Like a passage leaking inside the case or a valve sticking. Also pull your cable pin at the shift valve and be sure the detent is going all the way. Your linkages could be worn and holding it part way in. Also I've always ran dex merc atf. Some people ran hytrans. 

Firewoodjoe

Firewoodjoe

Thank You Sponsors!