iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rhino 354l Chinese skidder rebuild project

Started by Justify008, February 25, 2015, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justify008

Edit: rather then starting a new thread I'm making this one into the rebuild thread for my rhino 354l skidder to give me a place to post on her progress and ask questions.

Firstly let me introduce myself my names Justin. Born and raised and currently live in upstate new york. Finally became a member been poking around here for awhile. I'm a diesel mechanic full time and I have my own firewood business. The opportunity has arisen to pick up this small off branded skidder for cheap. Its a rhino 354l I've tried googling it and only found one mention of it as being an off brand imported from china. Anybody know anything about them I'm going to look at it tomorrow with a friend of mine who's been a logger his whole life. I'd like to buy a real skidder but can't justify 10k+ for something that won't be used that often. So any info would be appreciated. I'll try and get some pics on here if I can figure out how

Thanks Justin

beenthere

Good directions and help for posting on the "Home" page, scroll to near the bottom for the info. Look forward to seeing the Rhino.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Is this a rubber tired skidder or a small dozer? If it's a dozer, I maight can be some help. A small chinese dozer was imported for a while and sold under the name rhino. I have a version called a power trac, and I have manuals and a source of parts...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Justify008

Quote from: pineywoods on February 25, 2015, 06:11:14 PM
Is this a rubber tired skidder or a small dozer? If it's a dozer, I maight can be some help. A small chinese dozer was imported for a while and sold under the name rhino. I have a version called a power trac, and I have manuals and a source of parts...

It's a small rubber tired cable skidder lets see if these pics work fingers crossed.

ForestFox

If the price is too attractive, it may mean it is impossible to get parts for! Be careful because time is money too! I have never heard of these, ever. It is good you are a mechanic, maybe you may need to be a good fabricator also. Yankee ingenuity is worth a lot with anything used. Make sure you can try it out, especially the winch!

Best of luck. I have trouble getting parts for my Timberjack and these are all over the place!
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

Justify008

Quote from: ForestFox on February 25, 2015, 06:53:10 PM
If the price is too attractive, it may mean it is impossible to get parts for! Be careful because time is money too! I have never heard of these, ever. It is good you are a mechanic, maybe you may need to be a good fabricator also. Yankee ingenuity is worth a lot with anything used. Make sure you can try it out, especially the winch!

Best of luck. I have trouble getting parts for my Timberjack and these are all over the place!

Unfortunately I'm all to familiar with the to good to be true when buying used equipment.  I'll give you the background story and what it needs. I work with the guy that owns it he said he's owned it for a long time used it on small wood lots and it worked great. He finally decided to upgrade and sold this to some guy who ended up breaking the driveshaft / maybe transfer case. Well the guy stopped paying for it after he broke it so he went and picked it up. But he has a new one so he doesn't feel like messing with it he said its all ready to go back together it just needs a driveshaft since he never got that back. So it is currently unoperable but for the price he was asking I could probably scrap it and make money that's my plan B haha

treeslayer2003

seems like i saw a yellow one like it some where on here......
scrap price? why not then? cute lil thing, ought to work fire wood fine.

ForestFox

Gonna need some sneakers, or chains at the very least to pull anything. Hey better odds than buying a lottery ticket. You'll figure it out!

Lumberjohn

I have to really question chinese quality on most any item they make. Hey, if its cheap enough, try it?

Justify008

Ya I'm probably going to buy it was just trying to find some info on it see if I could find parts for it or if I'll have to make everything for it. I'm going up tomorrow morning to look at it I'll get more pics and see what else it needs. If I do get it going I'll probably spend more for 2 sets of chains then I did for the whole machine.

Firewoodjoe

The best friend I have is a machinist😉. He can make most anything. If he can measure something. I wouldn't be worried about parts.

pineywoods

Hey, if a drive shaft is all that's wrong, any machine shop worth of the name could fix that in a heartbeat. Chances are very good that it's based on one or more chinese tractors. Touch base with www.Farmboystractors.com. Located in Kingsport, Tn. If parts are available they will know about it and may even have them. Also, see if you can find Guilin Forestry Machinery works. There's a good chance that's who made it. If it's anything like my dozer, it's a simple rugged machine, but the quality control stinks...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

lopet

If you think  you're not losing any money with plan B, then yes, I would take the chance,  but sometimes trucking is just sucking your first $$$ out of your wallet.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

barbender

FWIW, I like the looks of the little thing ;) What size tires are on it?
Too many irons in the fire

loggah

I'm pretty sure Nash Equipment up in Colebrook N.H. used to sell them,maybe they still do. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

logman81

Awesome little skidder,  I was very tempted to buy a new one several years ago. Their is a dealer that used to import them not far from me. Not sure if they ever sold one but looked like the perfect firewood skidder. I'm very interested in seeing more pics and hearing more about it.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Justify008

Well I guess I'm going to own it now. I gave him a deposit I'll go back in a few weeks when he digs it out of the snow and digs the rest of the parts out of the barn. So it looks like it needs the transfer case put back together and the 2 rear drive shafts one for the winches one for the rear diff.

Quote from: barbender on February 25, 2015, 09:07:51 PM
FWIW, I like the looks of the little thing ;) What size tires are on it?
Quote from: ForestFox on February 25, 2015, 07:21:09 PM
Gonna need some sneakers, or chains at the very least to pull anything.

Looks like the tires are still in decent shape a little dry rotted but no massive chunks missing. Definitely going to need a set of good chains to pull anything and there either 15-24 or 16-24 size

Quote from: loggah on February 27, 2015, 08:56:24 AM
I'm pretty sure Nash Equipment up in Colebrook N.H. used to sell them,maybe they still do. Don

Good guess this was on the side of it I'll probably give them a call.

loggah

Whats the old tractor in the background?  To bad someone dont start to manufacture that size skidder in the U.S. ,i think the demand for small machines is there. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Justify008

Here's some other pics I took this is facing forward has 3 glass windows in front.

Sticker on the dash shows the control pattern and the shift pattern and the dash panel.

Picture from the left hand side facing forward it has a 5 speed transmission with the reverser on the transfer case so its 5 forward and 5 reverse.

Picture of the arch I forgot to mention its a 2 cable/2 winch machine. I have to put the winches back on supposedly they've both been sent out and rebuilt so hopefully that's true.

This is the tag on the 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel.

And I think this is the vin tag can anybody read this and tell me what it says haha.

Sorry about some of the pics I tried rotating them and its not working so everyone tilt your heads left

Justify008

Quote from: loggah on February 27, 2015, 11:31:16 AM
Whats the old tractor in the background?  To bad someone dont start to manufacture that size skidder in the U.S. ,i think the demand for small machines is there. Don

Its from England or somewhere in Europe I think he said that one in the pic has a blown head gasket he has another one that runs and drives and he uses. And it would be nice if someone made a small skidder but they'd probably want 100k for it brand new way out of my budget haha

logman81

That is a awesome find you got there! Really enjoyed the pictures good job saving this rare machine. I would really like to to see this thing up and running pulling wood! I'd be all over it if it was ever for sale.

Lumberjohn

Does the operator have to stand in it to tun it? I dont see a seat....

logman81

Think the seat is out to work on the transfer case.

lopet

Quote from: Justify008 on February 27, 2015, 11:48:15 AM
Here's some other pics I took this is facing forward has 3 glass windows in front.

Sticker on the dash shows the control pattern and the shift pattern and the dash panel.

Picture from the left hand side facing forward it has a 5 speed transmission with the reverser on the transfer case so its 5 forward and 5 reverse.

Picture of the arch I forgot to mention its a 2 cable/2 winch machine. I have to put the winches back on supposedly they've both been sent out and rebuilt so hopefully that's true.

This is the tag on the 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesel.

And I think this is the vin tag can anybody read this and tell me what it says haha.

Sorry about some of the pics I tried rotating them and its not working so everyone tilt your heads left

Well, you got your self a project. :) Good luck with it and let as know, how things come along.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

Oliver05262

Might be a collectors item (Big Grin). My guess on the VIN tag would make it serial Number 01 ???
  Seriously, good luck with the machine. It looks to be the right size for what you want. Now let's hope you can get 'er up and running.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

ForestFox

I notice the gear is wiped next to the trans or transfer case on the left side, that looks simple to make. I am not a fan of the  metal cab and windows with glass. I would want some heavy screen, so I could see better and be safer in the woods! I'm sure you bought it right, I hope you have fun getting her back in action, best of luck. "Where there is a will, there is a way"! Git er Done................... I admire your initiative.

logman81

Nash did in fact sell these neat little skidders years ago, call the parts guy there I bet he would know where to get parts.  Good luck!

coxy

just go to your Yamaha dealer they should have the parts  :D :D 8)

logman81

coxy

there all junk  Japanese ,Chinese  same thing  :D   except brp them Canadians and Australians can make thing run and last ;D ;D ;D

Corley5

Looks like a labor of love  ;) ;D 8)
  Can Am ATVs are assembled in Juarez,Mexico and have been since 08.  Rotax engines are still made in Austria  ;) ;D 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

Quote from: coxy on February 28, 2015, 07:24:04 PM
there all junk  Japanese ,Chinese  same thing  :D   except brp them Canadians and Australians can make thing run and last ;D ;D ;D

coxy, I think you're comparing apples with pears.  :D :D  Any bad experience ?

Justify008

Ya its definitely another project. Unfortunately it seems like I have more of them then I have time available. I still have to mount this picker

On this trailer if it would ever warm up around here

While I'm dealing with fun stuff happening like this

Ed_K

Had the same tire go on the 550 plow truck, ice ball rolled off the bank and broke the valve stem  :( .
Ed K

coxy

must have been flat tire day I had one on the trailer but hauled the skid loader any way only had to go 5miles up the road and it was all snow so all was good

Justify008

Well she's finally home.  8) 8) . I work with the guy I bought it from so he loaded it up and brought it into work then I hooked to his trailer and brought her home. It seemed heavier then I thought it would be. But that could be because the trailer is a pintle hook I'm use to hauling goosenecks so the extra back and forth could make it seem heavier. What do you guys think it weighs? I'll get some pics tommorrow

logman81

I'm going to say 10k-12k, looking forward to the pics!

Justify008

I picked up the winches last night had to roll them onto my truck there heavier then they look. There chain driven and either air or hydraulically operated.

Heres where they mount theres another transfer case with a gear inside there looks like it runs to one winch then from that winch to the other when you engage the shaft from the main transfer case they must both turn and then the air or hydraulics engages or disengages which one you want. One bolts on top and one bolts on the back with pillow block type bearings.

Autocar

Looks like a fun project thanks for scharing.
Bill

logman81

Thanks for the update,  following very closely!

tantoy

Iam Currently restoring an old Garrett skidder so I know the fun experience, Good luck with your project and keep up with the posts and pictures, we relay appreciate it!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

mad murdock

The engine is more than likely a Chinese version of an Yanmar. A lot of those engines around in machinery and even more in marine applications. Interesting little winch set up in that machine.  What is the hp of the engine? Any placard anywhere that shows it?it will be a nice little mach One when you get it going.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I wish I had bought one when a dealer near me was selling them.

Justify008

Well just a little update for those interested had some spare time a couple days ago figured I'd see if I could get the motor to fire before I spent the time fixing anything else. So I pulled the covers off changed the battery jumped the starter solenoid and she wurled right over. Sweet so now I primed the fuel pump went to jump the solenoid again and nothing I'm not getting power out of the solenoid. So have to fix that when I get a chance.

logman81

Thanks for the update I'm following this as you progress!

Justify008

Turns out it was just bad connections I took everything apart cleaned it and put it back together. She rolled right over I even got a video of her running on starting fluid . When I get a chance ill post it on youtube and link it here

redprospector

Be careful running it on starting fluid long enough to get a video. That stuff is hard on an engine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

logman81

Glad you got it going looking forward to the video

Justify008

Well I finally can say I've made significant enough progress to post again been tinkering on it in my spare time. Got the radiator cleaned out and refilled with coolant only to find out I think it has a leak somewhere ill have to have it tested and find a radiator cap for it. But the big news is I got her fired and running all by herself and I have the video to prove it. If the link works.

https://youtu.be/084Ecb6V6_E

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice work! She runs pretty smooth. Quiet too!

thecfarm

I had an old Ford I just ran a lower pressure radiator cap. I went to a parts store,one guy had no idea what I wanted,his co worker spoke up and told him what I wanted. No more leak.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Justify008

Well had a bit of a setback in progress. I started tinkering with the transfer case yesterday to see if I could figure out how to put it back together turns out I'm missing the output shaft to run the winches, The drive shaft for the winches, and the double universal joint/swivel thingy to connect the rear axle driveshaft. So I decided to call Eddie Nash and sons in NH. since there name was on the side of it thinking they probably sold it originally they would be able to answer my prayers. Turns out they sold 3 of them total and they were all shipped to Florida. They have no books no manuals no parts. I am pretty sure I'm screwed Unless I can find a machine shop to make the parts but I'm sure that will cost a fortune.  :'(

OntarioAl

Post some pictures of your transfer case . Some of us may be able to come up with viable work arounds (i.e. adapters to connect your transfer case to North American drive train components) to get your  machine up and running.
Al
Al Raman

Mountaynman

you cant find any markings on the transfer cases should be something on another note used to own that old loader trk of yours gd to see it still in use sold it to a guy down your way prob 6 years ago gd luck with your hunt for parts youll get it
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

enigmaT120

Here in Salem there's a company called 6 States, and I think they could make any drive shaft you could describe.  Those double cardon joints, or whatever they're called when they're not on the front drive shaft of my '81 Toyota pickup, can be spendy but they can probable come up with something.  They're part of a chain, see if there's one near you and ask them about it.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

schmalts

Interesting thread. I have a Chinese 4X4 diesel tractor that I bought new 15 years ago with a 495 engine that is 55HP.  Been pretty darn reliable and has plenty of power. I looked at what it was compared to what I could get used for the same price and took the chance.  The website Aliexpress and Alibaba can be a great source of parts if you need them for that engine.  Good luck with it.  I am actually in the market for a small forwarding trailer and was surprised what they are making over there these days in that market.

Justify008

Got a little update took the transfer case out found a local machine shop finally that would make me a shaft. Just have to order some bearings and seals and put her back together.

tantoy

Was it a brand name transfer case (Rockwell, Dana, ect) or specific to your machine?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Duhnis

The Rhino Skidder my brother  & I looked at was a yellow one and the engine tag stated 28.5KW, It was a demo from Nash Equipment. Never seen the red version.

Duhnis

Justify008

No tag on it so im guessing it's specific to the machine. I called nash in the beginning I guess they sold 3 total before rhino went out of business

hawlem

Good morning! I´m from Austria and I have found your pictures of your skidder at Google. I think this RHINO 354 L is a Iwafuji T30. My dad has worked with this machine some years and it´s a little but good machine. So I don´t know if you have a dealer for Iwafuji near to you. I also have a Iwafuji T41, it´s bigger than the T30. With spare parts it´s not so easy. I have asked Iwafuji in Japan for parts. They can send. They also send me a spare parts list and a operation manual.

Do you repair the skidder in the meantime?

Looking forward reading from you.
Best regards, max

logman81

Im curious as well about what has become of the skidder too.

lopet

Running out of ambition, motivation or losing interest, isn't that what usual happens ?

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

logman81

What became of this skidder does anyone know?

logman81

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

logman81

Anyone know what became of this skidder? I've recently found a guy that owns a running and working one that I've been talking to and is willing to part with it.

47sawdust

Looks like the fella runnin' it had to be shoehorned in.Might be only meant to be run by a person of Chinese origin.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

B.C.C. Lapp

I think maybe you'd be better off with a little TimberJack 208 or a JD 440.   Its hard enough getting parts for these machines but you can find them with some searching around.   Might be darn near impossible to find parts for that Rhino.    
And any one that owns an old skidder will tell you it aint "IF" its going to break, its when.   Cause it will.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

logman81

I'm not really worried about parts I've owned many rare skidders over the years. You have to know how to weld/fabricate and I have a family member that works at a machine shop that can make just about anything it would need. I have also been in contact with another guy that has one that is in very good condition and 100% operational in Maine he is considering selling possibly. I could buy that one and maybe buy the other as a parts machine that would last me a lifetime of spare parts. 

logman81

B.C.C. Lapp

Looks like your in business logman81. 8)
I always put chains on the front tires of a skidder.   Or bull rings on the front and a less aggressive chain on the back. If your not on snow and ice chains on both is to much traction and you can tear things up.
I'd be interested to see how you like the skidder and how its works for you. So keep us posted. thumbs-up
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

logman81

oh lol I'm not the owner he just sent me more pics of him using it and I've been talking about it with him.

Thank You Sponsors!