iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 240a with newer deere winch

Started by timberjack 240a, February 25, 2015, 11:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 240a

Just curious if anyone has put a newer style deere winch on a timberjack 240a. I have a chance to get one got a decent price and am tired of the gearmatic problems. My skidder is a 1986 and the winch that I'm getting came off of a deere 648e. Any info would be great, thanks.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

Upnorth

Can't help you with the JD winch, but I am converting my Gearmatic this weekend to a Hercules. I've been as patient with it as I can be. Every time I use it something else comes up. Will post pictures.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

so il logger

Gotta admire the love for gearmatic's  :D :D :D

What transmission does the 240 have? Hafta start there. The winch you are looking at is more less the same as a T40 like I have on my tj. Great winches.

Upnorth

Pulled mine in the garage today, Gearmatic is gone!! Apparently they are great when they are properly set and used often, however I'm moving on....

Spoke with a guy a few days ago who was actually a TJ dealer mechanic when they were sold new (the 200 series). Apparently the Gearmatics were so problematic that TJ offered an exchange program on them to swap them out. Evidently the guy who bought my 240E new never got the memo......
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

timberjack 240a

My transmission is a four speed manual into a high/low, forward/reverse transfer case. The winch shat comes out of the top of that. Nice to hear that I'm not the only one beating my head against the wall with a gearmatic. It is a great winch... When it works. But when it doesn't its enough to make you crazy. Nice looking machine upnorth!
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

so il logger

Yes upnorth very nice skidder, and TJ240A I think it will be a undertaking to make that new of a deere winch work. It requires hydraulic pressure and a return. Im not saying it can't be done by no means, however the size of the winch may pose a problem in mounting with your transfer case being there. I'm sure it has been done and maybe someone else will chime in. It may be less of a headache to fix the gearmatic, once it is right they are very good winches. Good luck with it

Maine logger88

Nice machine upnorth! I believe you would have to set up a 4000 like a TO40 is on a 240C and use its own separate pump for the winch or you would have to build a relief And run it off your existing pump
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

now, this is not the same winch that came on the 540b? if not, then would that winch not be simpler to install?

ga jones

Model 4000 needs a separate hydraulic pump with constant psi. I was told when I looked into it.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on February 26, 2015, 08:07:49 PM
Model 4000 needs a separate hydraulic pump with constant psi. I was told when I looked into it.
meaning you can't use it with an open center system? couldn't just use a different valve? deere hydraulics seem to confound me......

ga jones

I was told a separate system with constant pressure.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

so il logger

Quote from: ga jones on February 26, 2015, 09:04:42 PM
I was told a separate system with constant pressure.

Yes, at least on my T40, the pressure side comes directly off of my transmission charge pump. I think the hydraulic's could be figured out, biggest concern I have is how it would fit with the transfer being there. They're big winch'es. And then the drive line may be a pain, if the transfer is like my 225 the shaft comes out off center. And the winch off a 648e has the pto in the center.

timberjack 240a

Yeah, the more I look at it the more I wonder if this was a good idea. I was thinking that someone out there must have done it. I guess when I have the time I'll pull the gearmatic out and try to set the deere in there. See if it at least fits, then try to figure the rest out. Worse comes to worse I'll resell the winch or put it on a Dozer.

xalexjx

what winch is it? Iv been looking for one for my 450c timberjack
Logging and Processed Firewood

ga jones

They put them on the last generation 240 from the factory with a four speed manual transmission. You need to see how the factory did it.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on February 27, 2015, 02:49:33 PM
They put them on the last generation 240 from the factory with a four speed manual transmission. You need to see how the factory did it.
id like to see how they did as well. i bet it could adapted to other tractors as well.

timberjack 240a

Winch is a model 4000. Driveshaft comes out of my transfer case off to the side and shaft on the winch is centered. I'm thinking the angle will be to much for the driveshaft to handle. I have not had a chance to measure anything up yet. Xalexjx, if your interested in the winch send me a private message

ga jones

Model 4000 Deere and timberjack t40 is the same winch. My 380 has a constant velocity joint on both ends. That's probably all you would need for the shaft issue.as far as the pump issue I would think you could use a belt driven pump mounted to the engine. northern  has those fairly cheap.you need to know what the psi spec is though.

so il logger

Did the late model 240 use the same transfer Ga Jones? I have seen green 240,s with a deere winch but I think they had the clark tranny, I'm curious to see if that big of a winch could be outfitted to that 240. Seems nearly impossible to me with what little room there is to work with and shaft angle  ???

ga jones

The green ones I've seen were all 4 speed manual trans with a transfer case. (I don't think The Clark would fit in a 200 series because of the offset driveline) the power shifts in the Orange ones were AT545 Allison truck transmissions.

so il logger

I see what your saying ga jones. Maybe I was thinking of a different model, I'll try to find the one I seen awhile back on a sales site... may not have been a 240 :D Iv'e looked at so many. It would be nice if that winch will fit because they are great, pretty well the best winch I have used

timberjack 240a

When you say northern has a belt driven pump, do you men northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company? That would seem easy enough to set up...  Assuming there is enough room for it.

Ohio_Bill

Could you use a power steering pump and a re leaf valve.?
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ga jones

Yes timberjack. I do not know the pressures Ohio bill but I would assume a power steering pump wouldn't be enough. The pumps at northern are cheap enough anyway. I have used there pumps before and had no issues with them.

lopet

I have seen at least a couple of those conversions being made. Pretty simple drive from your fan belt, but yes, they look a little
bigger than power steering pumps and I don't know the psi's either.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ga jones

I wouldn't give up on the idea yet timberjack240a.the Deere winch is a much better winch and once you figure it all out its done. No more gearmatic issues!

timberjack 240a

Not giving up yet... Just not enough time in the day right now for trial and error. That's why I was hoping someone who had done this before would comment. I've got a bunch of loads to get to the buyer at the beginning of this week, then can take some measurements and see where to go next.

Thank You Sponsors!