iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow... How I do love the vintage old working wood.

Started by rasman57, February 25, 2015, 09:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasman57

I have found that most folks either go "WOW" like me or simply shrug their shoulders and look at me like I perhaps I am as simple as I look and suggest golf.   Either way is great as I LOVE this stuff.    100 yrs or more old, dirty, dusty, saw marks, with a patina that you can not replicate once it is cleaned up a bit and some oil or poly is added.    Love the vintage old barn wood....I find it and sometimes just turn it into things or just let it be what it was for 100 years.   Makes me happy to be around it!

Magicman

I love it too.  You just gave me some ideas to use with my Cabin Addition project.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rasman57

I know... who keeps barn wood and 59 Chevy Pickup parts on the coffee table.   It is just cool.... wife is convinced I am a mouth breather sometimes.

rasman57

Now 

I am fooling around with a very old barn piece for a bench.  I am trying to figure out what type of wood it is.  I first thought perhaps fir until I picked it up and got near it. Now I am wondering if it is hickory or such  It is heavy and hard to work or cut.  Made real dark sawdust and man did it DARKEN up with the first coat of NATURAL Danish Oil.  I thought it would dry lighter as oak or pine etc usually does but this has a real ebony look.   Grain is not particularly attractive in and of itself but this vintage barn floor has over 100 years of wear from hooves and such. Worn down with a patina that shouts American Farm History! The barns here in northern Illinois farm country were usually timbered and sided with whatever was on the ground or easily available but never seen this.   Photos make it tough but anybody who knows their lumber recognize?   It is shown in the last pic after the danish oil dried and next to a piece of fir that had the same treatment.   Thanks

Magicman

If it had come from a Mississippi tree it would be SYP.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rasman57

I sure thought it was too but it is rock hard and I have no other piece that just went so dark after some light sanding and natural poly applied.    Maybe it is SYP then cause it sure look like Pine.  MM, is that SYP down that way real hard after it ages for a loooooonnnngggg time?   I broke off several forged square rusty spikes that just would not let go of the wood.

Magicman

Yours is probably not a SYP, but yes, nails "rust themselves" into boards and strongly resist being pulled out.  I often use a drill to enlarge the nail hole.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You have a talent.  :) If only that old wood could talk.  smiley_gossip
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rasman57

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 25, 2015, 05:06:19 PM
You have a talent.  :) If only that old wood could talk.  smiley_gossip

Thank you.  magine all that has happened in the time since those old barn boards and beams were put into service. 

I now suspect the heavy dark planking that was under the barn animals may have been "chemically" treated for years if you get my dribble....I mean drift.   Something has caused it to really react funny to natural oil and although it does not have any odor to it, as it has been abandoned for 30 years, it has a real treated goofy aspect to it.   
   Having said that, the plank is wonderful in its worn down and trudged upon areas.  Naturally rounded and smooth spots well into more than half of the original 3 inch thickness.   Should be an interesting rustic barn wood bench.  Hope it doesn't have the scent of Mr Ed, Old Bessie or Goodness sakes.... a GOAT!   ;)

5quarter

rasman...very nice stuff. I too like old wood. years ago I took down an old house in upstate NY. every board and beam that came out of that place was heavy and hard. initially I figured it was hemlock or similar, but it turns out it was all Scotch Pine. all the 1x12 sheathing plus the hewn sills plus the 4x12 joists.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rasman57 on February 25, 2015, 05:22:47 PM
Hope it doesn't have the scent.... a GOAT!   ;)

If it don't....I can fix that.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rasman57

If it don't....I can fix that.  ;D
[/quote]

I don't know... it's gonna be an outdoor seat.........Rumor has it if you get comfortable outside in the seated position, we may lose you for a bit to nappyland.     :P

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rasman57

Thanks 5quarter and WDH... you guys are right.  Ends up being the hardest darn old Pine/Fir I have messed with.  Interesting to see the same species and vintage act so differently and color up dramatically different too.     It will be fun to put this one together.

woodhick

I just resawed a piece of what I think is SYP that was cut around 1940 and it is HARD!.  Nothing like SYP of today.  So yes I would say it gets harder with age :D
Steve
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Just Me

Part of the work I do is restoring historic homes. I learn more from people that have been dead a hundred years than I do from anyone that is alive.

rasman57

Quote from: Just Me on February 28, 2015, 11:12:09 AM
Part of the work I do is restoring historic homes. I learn more from people that have been dead a hundred years than I do from anyone that is alive.

Amen Brother!    So much can be learned from the experience of others.      The window to the world is opened through shared and experienced wisdom.      Reminds me of how strange it was to see how much smarter my parents got as I got older.   Now at 57 I just shake my head and wonder how I ever made it  :D          We all CAN learn....most do, some will and some won't. 

Thank You Sponsors!