iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BUILDING WILD

Started by Den Socling, February 24, 2015, 10:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Were you watching the episode that just went off at 10pm? Did you notice the "shed" for his ATV? It was an old radio frequency vacuum kiln chamber that they dragged into the woods!!

drobertson

Missed it "free tv here"  but sounds bad!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Den Socling

I also noticed they use a WoodMizer and standing, sound dead trees for lumber.

Brokermike

we were a finalist for the show lat year. Unfortunately it went from a program where tey built it for nothing to people paying them to be on TV. We were cut...thankfully

still pretty cool stuff
Don't Jersey Vermont

Jeff

The episode I watched last night showed them building atv shed out of an old compactor roll off dumpster.  The compactor was frozen in and they used a big rock on a chain as a wrecking ball to free it up. There was a wood-mizer there too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

Jeff, you may have seen a dumpster. Patti always says my kilns look like dumpsters.  :D But if you saw sheet metal welded at 45' along the inside corners, that was a vac kiln. Also, there was a rectangular hole in the middle of one side. That was where the RF power was connected to the center electrode. I didn't see a frozen compactor. Both ends were open. Must have been two different shows. It was on a couple times.

Jeff

They showed the unit at the beginning of the show while talking to the owner. Actually there were two of them. At that time all the hydraulics were still connected to the compacting part. The owners name was Sean Winters, and he owned a private sanitation company.  They were dumpsters that looked like vac kilns. ;)

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2015/02/24/constructing-a-tailgating-paradise-on-building-wild/

QuoteFortunately, Winters has an army of friends who are big Jets fans as well, and he brings his entire crew to help build a tailgater's dream in the wilderness. Paulie and Tuffy watch them stream out of Winter's Jet-themed bus in awe. They have their build team and are ready to put them right to work.

Winters owns a private sanitation company, and wants to utilize some dumpsters on his property as a component of the build. Tuffy envisions building an ATV garage out of the dumpster shells, and can't wait to start tearing them apart so that he can put them back together.

Of course nothing is ever as easy as Tuffy envisions. A mechanism inside the dumpster that needs to be removed refuses to budge.  He tries yanking it out and when that doesn't work, he uses the bucket of the excavator to try to pound it free. What he really needs is a wrecking ball, and he isn't going to let the fact that he doesn't have one stop him. Hanging a rock from fifteen feet of chain, Tuffy finesses the excavator into a wrecking machine and deftly manages to knock out the back end of the dumpster. It's a Fred Flintstone move, but Tuffy can coax his machinery into doing just about anything–and it works.

21incher

I agree with Jeff. It looked like a dumpster to me and they removed the cylinder for the flagpole.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Den Socling

Did they cover the hole on the side with a picture of a shamrock?

Bruno of NH

It was a trash compactor
The guy they where building for owned a trash company in NJ
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

The other key, is guys with vac kilns usually have very little expendable money. Guys with Trash services have oodles of it.  This guy had a lotta money. :D

Den Socling

OK. Maybe, just maybe, it was a vacuum chamber converted to a compactor.  :D

Den Socling

I'm still trying to remember what I saw. There were clearly gussets. Useful in vacuum chambers but not compactors. That rectangular hole in the side for RF power. Why would you put a hole in a compactor? Then I remember remnants of six door clamps. I think this guy got a vacuum chamber and turned it into a compactor. The first 4 vacuum kilns I built back in 1997 were originally used to fumigate uniforms brought back to the US from WWII. That is re-purpose!

beenthere

Maybe now we know where Den is getting his vacuum chambers, by re-purposing compactors..   ;D 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

BT you wouldn't believe what goes into a good SS chamber. You haven't been there.  :D  I had to start somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!