iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230 hydraulic tank filter

Started by Mooseknuckle, February 24, 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseknuckle

Well i was fortunate enough to get the schematic if the hydraulic Tank thats situated in my cab from Neilo! :). So i figured perfect I'll pull the bolts off the top cover plate and inside should be a wing nut holding the cap on the filter! So inside i found the top and bottom filter caps lying on the bottom along with a caterpillar filter. It looks looks like the threaded rod broke off so the genius welded a pipe to the top cover plate to hold the filter assembly in place ::)!!
I also found two hard rubber seals or filter caps that have type P87 and what appears to say PUB O LATOR on them as well? Does anyone know the origional filter size or a cross reference part number for the proper filter? I'll have to figure out a way to hold it all in place as well once i get the filter! Below is a picture if the items i found in the tank and a picture looking into the tank!!

Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Neilo

That is a real pain!

The filter outer diameter can be obtained from the end caps. They should fit over the filter. Might have to guess the length and inner diameter. I also don't know how to retain it.

I think it is Pur o lator, but I don't think that helps any...

Neilo

I assume that bottom filter end should make a seal on the pipe fitting exiting the tank. Is all that missing too?

Mooseknuckle

Hey Neilo, in the picture u can see the pipe coming up from the bottom of the tank. Its then reduced so the bottom cap sits on the lip.  The filter should go over top of that reduced pipe as well the top ca with washer and wing nut.  Im gonna take the tank out and get it all sorted out. It would be nice to know the dimensions if the filter but i can work of the caps and the inlet pipe that goes up into the filter.  The hard rubber rings i found in the tank say Purolator type P87.   My parts guy said purolator makes filters but P87 means nothing to him.   

so il logger

This probably wont help much but both my 225 and 450c have donaldson brand filters in the hydro tank. I will look through invoices and try to find a part number for you

Mooseknuckle

Thanks so il logger. I attached the schematic for a better picture of the tank.  My Machine is a 1965 Timberjack 230H

so il logger

My tank is up front below radiator on both of mine, approximately how long and big around is filter? open on one end or both?

Mooseknuckle

I'll measure up the inner and outer diameter tomorrow. It is open on both ends as well.  The only thing I wont be able the get is the length as that filter that was in the bottom of the tank is the wrong one. Length shouldn't matter to much probably 6 to 8 inches.  The inner diameter and outer diameter need to be on the money tho!!

Mooseknuckle

Well we got this hydraulic filter all sorted out!  Drilled a couple holes in the bottom tank baffle, very patiently fixed two threaded rods in side the tank. Put the filter assembly in an secured it down with a piece of flat bar!  Just about time to get it all back together!! 8)

so il logger

Good news! I knew that my filter's were different after you said your's were open on both end's. Mine are open on one end and tank placement is different. Was it a donaldson filter?

Mooseknuckle

Its a WIX, 

The part number is #57415 i got it from B&B Dixon. Says list price 103.40 but got it for 56.73 plus tax. 
I got all new hydraulic hoses as Cummins Hydraulics the other day and noticed the exact filter on the shelf, so I inquired about tye price and it was 29.99!!!!!!! Pays to shop around..... Lost a couple bucks there :D

so il logger

At least you got it and got it figured out  8) And you know where to go for the next one :D

Mooseknuckle

Once I get the new lines all on and the tank filled back up with fluid, is there any bleeding of the system or can i just light up the Detroit and work the hydraulics until the air is pushed back to the tank and out??

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Moose

Maine logger88

No bleeding just fire her up and work the hydraulics they'll bleed themselves out
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Mooseknuckle

Thank You Sponsors!