iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just starting again!

Started by jack, February 24, 2015, 07:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Its been almost 5 years since i broke a bone in my back- surgery and recovery!  Yeah! my lucas mill has been just sitting waiting for me to get back on top of things.    Only downside I have is starting the Chainsaw- that motion sets my back off.  (never used to before the break).    So Im piecing parts together to make a electric start with a ryobe drill motor.    Hopefully I can get it to work on my Husky (20 yr old saw) that is really tight to start.   I would hate to need to replace it with something with a compression release.

Any suggestions?

Jack Kimmich
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

beenthere

There are saws with an easy start mechanism, that you give two or three short pulls to wind a spring (?) up and then a release. May get you back in business. Likely more than just Stihl has them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Jack if its just around the mill get an electric chainsaw, my Milwaukee has a 20" bar and will handle anything until I reach the end of the cord. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

X2 on that, I have a Stihl electric that i use around the house wherever a 50' cord will reach and it cuts most everything just fine.

Might get some more ideas over in the Chainsaw board.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

hunz

Dr. John Sarno- Healing back pain. The book totally and completely changed my life; it has everyone else I gave it to as well. Most people I tell about the book think I'm coo-coo. That's fine with me, I'll be the one who is still lifting the world with a smile on my face after 2 years of having a completely incapacitated back. Best of luck with your recovery!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

WV Sawmiller

Jack,

As Beenthere notes you can get an easy start saw. My wife bought a Sthil with that feature several years ago because she can't pull one hard enough or fast enough to crank. With it you pull the cord as slow and steady as you want and when you reach a certain point it releases and cranks the saw on the release. They made them for women and men with such restrictions.  Local dealer says the biggest problem he encounters is men get them and try to crank them too fast. This one easily cranks with a 2 finger pull.

Good luck getting back in the groove. Be careful and don't overdo it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 25, 2015, 09:23:40 AM
Jack,

As Beenthere notes you can get an easy start saw. My wife bought a Sthil with that feature several years ago because she can't pull one hard enough or fast enough to crank. With it you pull the cord as slow and steady as you want and when you reach a certain point it releases and cranks the saw on the release. They made them for women and men with such restrictions.  Local dealer says the biggest problem he encounters is men get them and try to crank them too fast. This one easily cranks with a 2 finger pull.

Good luck getting back in the groove. Be careful and don't overdo it.
Good catch WVS, that might be the ticket.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!