iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A small ooopsie

Started by Jamie_C, February 24, 2015, 05:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie_C

What happens when a completely worn out undercarriage meets a temperature of -22 Celsius ?

Broke both a main link and a side link, had to get the John Deere 1910E Forwarder to take the track to the road so we could cut out the broken links and replace with new ones and then bring the track back into the woods to put back on the machine. Was a beautiful day to be swinging a sledge hammer and using cutting torches  :-X

furltech

Yes it would have been a great day to be out of the cab it was down right balmy today near t-shirt weather :D .Supposed to warm up tomorrow but more snow

Jamie_C

Lol  ... don't forget that there wasn't any wind either .... depending on which radio station you believe it was between -34 & -37 with the wind chill

1270d

that sprocket looks like she's good for another few thousand hours ::)

Jamie_C

Lol ... almost sharp enough to shave with and half the rollers are toast too

lopet

I bet, spending a day outdoor doing repairs in this temperatures makes you appreciate a heated cab even more. Or at least  you should.  ;D   Field repairs are never fun, because often you don't have the right tools on hand and you have  to improvise.
Glad you got her going again.  Second on the sprocket.  :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

bushmechanic

Yep been down that road a good many times. I was wondering what the outer chain that's bolted on to the pads is for? I don't think I have ever saw that before.

Southside

Look on the bright side, a lot of folks pay good money to make chrome shine like that idler wheel.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jamie_C

Quote from: bushmechanic on February 24, 2015, 07:39:02 PM
Yep been down that road a good many times. I was wondering what the outer chain that's bolted on to the pads is for? I don't think I have ever saw that before.

Supposed to keep the track pads from flexing too much from my understanding ... they are called tri tracks, a few of the Tigercat 855's have them, our tracks are the same width as the regular ones on an 860/870

Jamie_C

Lopet ... one of the advantages to working for a large company  (our crew has 2 feller bunchers, 4 processors and 2 forwarders) is that the mechanics usually have whatever we need on the service truck or back at the company shop.

Thank You Sponsors!