iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardy H4

Started by WET BEHINDTHE EARS, February 24, 2015, 08:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WET BEHINDTHE EARS

Hello everyone,
I'm in the process of buying my first home and was thinking about buying a Hardy H4 owb because the house was built in 1935 and is 2500 sq ft and I wanted something to help me out with the heating costs. I was wondering if anyone could provide some input on the boilers. I was also leaning towards a central boiler but I just can't afford the cost of that right now along with buying the house and doing renovations. The Hardy is about 8500$ installed and the cb is 9170 and wouldn't be installed, so thats why I'm leaning towards the hardy. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

logman

I have a Hardy and like it.  I have had it for 3 winters now and have only had to replace my blower while still under warranty.  You better get one soon because after May you will only be able to get gassifiers which is going to up the price.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

armechanic

I have a hardy also. I have had to replace the draft motor, then realized I could remove the motor and oil it. I went with what the dealer told me on size, now I wish I had went the next size bigger as everyone told me too. Don't need to fill as often.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

thecfarm

armechanic,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WET BEHINDTHE EARS

Logman, Yeah thats what the salesman told me! I'll def be buying one soon to avoid that problem. armechanic what size did you go with? and how many sq ft are you heating? I'm gonna be heating 2500sq ft and maybe my two car garage. The salesman said a H4 would be good for what I need, but I was thinking about going one size bigger because I was planning on adding a pole barn within the next 5-10 years. Thanks guys for taking the time to get back with me. I appreciate it

bandmiller2

Wet, a couple of suggestions you won't often hear. Sales folks always tout how long the furnace will burn with one loading, stuffing a wood burner full and cutting back the air for a long burn is wrong. Best to feed less and more often to get a cleaner more efficient burn. Likewise an overly large furnace is not advisable as you will need to choke it down, better a smaller unit burning hot. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

That is very good information from Frank C (bandmiller2).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WET BEHINDTHE EARS

Thanks Frank. It sounds like I should just stick with what I had in mind and what others have recommended.

thecfarm

But the unit needs to be big enough too. A small OWB will not keep up if trying to draw off too much hot water either. I have a big OWB. I was planing on a working garage for me. Money has put that on the back burner for a while.  ::) I just don't fill mine as much. Mine will take a 54 inch stick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!