Started by Tom the Sawyer, February 23, 2015, 10:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

ANNUAL HARDWOOD DRY KILN OPERATOR'S SHORT COURSE
Sponsored by the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club
May 19 – 22, 2015
NC State University
Raleigh, NC

This short course will provide practical knowledge about how lumber is effectively kiln dried and scientific background on related wood properties and processes.  It will have value for the beginner as well as experienced kiln operators and with supervisors, sales, and marketing personnel.  Instruction, by university faculty and industry experts, will be both in the classroom and through hands-on lab exercises using our 1000 BF steam heated dry kiln.

For more details contact Phil Mitchell at phil_mitchell@ncsu.edu or call 919 515 5581 or download the brochure.
http://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/blogs/wpe/files/2015/02/2015-Dry-Kiln-Operators-Short-Course.pdf
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Glenn1

Hi Tom,

When I posted information on the Syracuse class, loggers and sawyers were not knocking down the doors to sign up   ;D.  I saw the listing on the NC State site but I do appreciate you posting the information.  By the way, my kiln is now 90% finished   8)

Glenn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Tom the Sawyer

You are definitely ahead of me.  Now laying out the doors.  Four walls up, ceiling and floor in.  The extra ceiling insulation is in and the fan wall is mounted.  Maybe 60% completed. 

53° right now, cold front this evening with snow predicted overnight.  High 21 tomorrow, down to 3 tomorrow night.  With the weather, some small milling jobs here at home, and USDOT compliance tasks, I don't get much time to work on the kiln. 

It seems as though there are only a few of these classes per year, scattered around the country.  Want to make sure everyone knows.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

Glenn1

There is also a four day lumber grading class at Penn State in June.  It would probably be a very good class for educating novices (like me!)
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There is one in August in Wisconsin, at North Central Tech College in Antigo.
Their beginners class is followed by an Advanced Class that covers all aspects of drying at an advanced level.

And there is a beginners class at SUNY at Syracuse, ny every year also.

The Ohio Valley has one every two years, usually in KY.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Tom the Sawyer

Anyone else planning on attending the course in Raleigh 5/19-22 ?
smiley_scholar

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Tom the Sawyer

Ricky, or anyone else going to this course?
huh-smiley

xlogger

I decide not to go. Starting on building a solar kiln for now and I did clear out a space later for a kiln supplied by my OWB. You are going to be close by time permitting maybe we can get together. I'm just not the one to set in a class, never been. That's I guess why I've logged all my life or drove a truck. Not to down play either job. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!