iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling and Slabbing American Elm

Started by nbrendel, February 23, 2015, 06:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbrendel

Hello- I am a newer member and it's been a while since I have visited the site, combine that with the fact that I am somewhat of a luddite so finding topics under the search engine is proving difficult for me.  We have recently had an "icepocalypse" (not really) in GA and as a result a lot of trees have fallen.  I was given a really beautiful American Elm that measures around 5'5" at the base and was healthy.  I have never sawed any elm so wanted to reach out and see what some of your experiences were with this particular species.  My intentions are to slab it into 3-4 quarter slabs with my 880 alaskan mill rig.  I have been told that it's an unstable species and I wanted to see if that was true.  I also want to know your thoughts on sawing it now and stickering it for a few years v.s. leaving it as a long and sawing it up later on down the road.  Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Gasawyer

Never cut one that large, smaller ones were no problem. Just sawed and stickered dried well. Let a 24" diameter log lay and it started to rot after one and half years. Hope someone has more experience with the larger ones that may better answer your question. Good luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

nbrendel

Thanks Gasawyer. Ill most likely end up sawing it up to avoid that rot. Gotta love the humidity down here.

Den-Den

I have cut some (not a lot).  It is less stable than many woods so expect some warping.  Once dry it is fairly light weight but quite strong.  It can be very pretty wood (I love it for turning).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

beenthere

QuoteAmerican Elm that measures around 5'5" at the base

I'm taking this as a circumference measurement, not a diameter. Correct, or not??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Elm has spiral grain and is notorious for twisting and warping.  You might fare best by quartersawing it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ReinkeFandS

I'm interested in how this turns out for you. I've got a large log I've been waiting to mill out.
Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

nbrendel

It's actually the diameter of the base or trunk of the tree, it's an impressive old Elm. 

The base section starts at 5'5" ( at it's widest) and tapers down 40" over roughly 9', the trunk itself was nearly perfectly straight and I was able to get 3 logs (including above mentioned) that total around 24' linear ft.

According the the crane operator that picked it up, he said it weighed in right about 5200 lbs.  I will most likely end up slabbing it and once I do I will post some photos. I am really excited to see how it turns out. 

Magicman

Pictures will be nice.  That is a HUGE Elm.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!