iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

allwood logsplitters

Started by farmer mark, February 23, 2015, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer mark

Any body out there got a splitter from allwood logsplitters? What do you think of them?  I am looking for a splitter with a log lift, hyd adjustable 4 way and 32 inch capacity.  I would really like to see one in person without driving to Michigan.   Thanks

ckhenshaw4

It does look like a nice splitter, but a lot of CA$H !!!   Last year I purchases a Ruggedmade splitter, and have zero complaints. Other than I had one of the valves leak, but they sent me a new one no questions asked.  I bought their largest model with a log lift, and a 30" stroke cylinder.  I have yet to find anything that this will not split. 
Good luck.
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

hedgerow

Quote from: farmer mark on February 23, 2015, 04:00:25 PM
Any body out there got a splitter from allwood logsplitters? What do you think of them?  I am looking for a splitter with a log lift, hyd adjustable 4 way and 32 inch capacity.  I would really like to see one in person without driving to Michigan.   Thanks  I can't say I have seen any Allwood in my area. Any big fast splitter around here is welding shop or home shop built. we don't have 8 to 10,000 dollar factory built splitters around here. I don't know if you might want to resell it or not but in that price range I sure would look a timber wolf as I see used ones of them selling for a premium price.

farmer mark

Hedgerow.   I don't really like the 4 way set up on the timber wolfs.  The 4 way is not attached to the cylinder that adjusts it up and down.  It can ride up as it follows the grain in the wood.  Not that bad a problem on straight grained 16" blocks of wood.  But a real P.I.T.A on 32" long gnarley pieces.  Then you need to get wood out from under it so it can go back down to where you want it before you split next one.

logman81

Farmer mark I had that very same problem with the tw5 that I had. What I did was cut off the nub on the back of it. I then welded a new piece on with a one inch hole drilled in it. I bought a clevis end for the cylinder and attached it to the wedge, problem solved no more rid up!
Precision Firewood & Logging

hedgerow

Farmer Mark I know every splitter has its things people are going to like and not I just pointing out about resale if that may or may not be a deal breaker. The two I have built have way more money in them than I could every sell them for in my area. They will probably never be for sale. Good luck with your search I hope you find the perfect splitter for you needs. I have had a fair amount of splitters over the years and the two I have now are the best fit I have had. Saying that I am getting ready to cut one apart again and make it into a firewood processor so I can buck and split on the same unit.

Oliver1655

The floating wedge is to help prevent the bottom pieces from getting pinched.  On my home made splitter, the 4 way wedge is fixed in place.  The out feed tables have to be staged 1 or more inches lower than the beam to prevent pinching.  The horizontal wings of the wedge should be tapered on the top edge only.  If tapered on the bottom edge, it will direct the split downward into the out feed table which caused binding/pinching/stuck splits & potential damage to the out feed tables.

As Hedge mentioned, unless you do alot of research/planning & have good fabricating skills, if you build your own, plan on enjoying it but not being able to get your money back if you want to sell it.

John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

farmer mark

Oliver 1655  Did you heat treat to harden the steel on your 4 way splitter?

Oliver1655

No, it is just 1/2" mild steel.  I have sent several hundred cords through it without a problem for the wedge.  The beam on the other hand was ok for when I just had an 8" high wedge.  When I made it into a 4 way with an overall height of 20" without raising the cylinder attach point or having an 4-6" starter edge on the bottom of the wedge, it put a lot of rocking back at the top of the push sled working the beam. 

I will be cutting the top flange off & adding an 3/4" piece of flat in it's place.  Build a new push slide with a higher cylinder attachment point.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

sam-tip

I know one person that HAD a oak series AllWood splitter.  They are big $$$$.  It looked really nice. 

As for a 4 ways I have had bad results.  My first splitter is rusting in the weeds because I added a 4 way.  Bent the I beam and broke the bolts on the slide.  It WAS faster splitting but I could not see the knot in the 6 x 8 oak piece.  It all happened so fast.  Bam it was busted.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Thank You Sponsors!