iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reality check: How inexpensively can someone get into hobby bandsaw milling?

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, February 23, 2015, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I've been working on my wife for years to get a bandsaw mill to produce material for our own projects (for the most part). Realistically, how much does it cost to get into the hobby and what else would I need besides some entry-level mill? What would be the best bang for my buck?

Thanks!

tmarch

Realistically I'm all for a homebuilt, IF you have the tools and knowledge they could be built for less.  I bought a Ezboardwalk because I don't have the tools or knowledge.  It's a great mill with many well thought out features.  If I was to do it again I'd do the same thing.  I know there are less expensive mills, but I'm happy with mine. :)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ianab

$3,000 - $4,000 will get you a nice new "hobby" level mill. EZ, Woodland,, LT10 etc. You might get lucky and find a good used one for less. As long as the basic mill is in reasonable shape, parts can be replaced to get it cutting like new again.

The support equipment? What do you have already that you can use to help?
Some basic log handling stuff like a winch, chain, some cable and pulleys?
Do you have (or access too) a tractor or skid steer to move logs? Otherwise a log arch that you can tow behind a 4WD or even a quad bike for smaller logs. Work you the logistic of how you are going to get the logs from where they are, to the mill.
Decent chainsaw is a must. Need not be some huge professional machine, but even if you aren't felling trees yourself, you still need to trim logs, branches etc around the mill.
Some basic workshop tools for mill maintenance.
Probably need to buy a cant hook to turn and manoeuvre logs, especially with manual mill.
Metal detector is handy if you are dealing with yard trees.

But how much you spend over and above the basic mill will depend what gear you have in the shed already. Once you have a mill, you can built a shed to keep it in, shelters for drying and storing lumber etc.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

goose63

DearMeadowFarm have a look at Woodland mill I have one and like it a lot
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jaygtree

i 2nd tmarch's post. harbor freight is the cheapest i know of but after lots research i went with ezboardwalk jr. i have the tools and probably the know how but i did not want to start that big of project. lots of learning curve if you do not have a model or plan to follow. i'd rather be sawing.   jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

beenthere

QuoteI've been working on my wife for years to get a bandsaw mill to produce material for our own projects

Maybe she isn't interested in running a bandsaw...  ;)   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ocklawahaboy

There are soooo many variables.  If you are cutting lumber purely for woodworking, there are guys on here happy with the harbor freight mills.  Hudson is probably in the same category.  If you want to cut enough to build out-buildings etc, you probably want to step up a bit.  Under $3000 should get you a HF mill, chainsaw, come along or hand winch, can't hook etc.  I spent about 5k on a used LT40 manual mill and all that stuff, including a box of new blades.

Mm.kasco

I found a used kasco mill for fifteen hundred just told all the people I ran into that I was looking for a mill . But while I got lucky you may not I really like harbor freight and all there stuff has a 90 day return policy.  The band saws they sell have great reviews from a lot of hobbyists. You can go online and get a 20% off coupon. With the coupon they end up around 1800 bucks I think it would be hard pressed to find the parts for that much.

terrifictimbersllc

If your title questions is taken at face value, one answer might be:
$250 for a very used 10-14" shop bandsaw
$50 for two new blades for it.
$15 for some MDF to make a log sled.
You could saw little boards off of little branches and be on your way.   No kidding.

Would help to define what capabilities you need.  Hobby and projects are still vague.  And what your maximum investment would be for an initial phase. 

some "capabilities", there are others....
at least what diameter and lengths of logs must the mill be capable of sawing.
at least what board widths must you be able to get.
will the mill need to be portable.
at least how many board feet per hour of work you would require to keep from losing your enthusiasm for the work

If you spent your maximum, and weren't happy with what you bought, how much more would you be willing to invest?

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

justallan1

I feel the biggest thing is first looking at what size logs you want to saw and add a little width, so you don't regret it later. My little Hud-Son HFE-21 is a great mill and saws good boards, I've just outgrown it and want something bigger. If all you have are small logs and it's just for hobby and around the farm kind of stuff, they work awesome.

Allan

thecfarm

DeerMeadowFarm,I bought a Thomas Bandsaw,made by a machine shop in Brooks,Maine. Are you going to the expo in Bangor? They will be there. I have paid for my mill twice so far.  :D  The Women Cave really added the points.  ;)

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Every time I see your building Ray, it reminds me of an early 1900's school house.
I like it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

DMfarm
I too have a Thomas mill from Maine .
A great value for the money and With Honda power.
Your welcome to check it out in the spring .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

It depends on how big a log you want to cut. I got a nice little Hudson, a batch of blades and a logrite cant hook for under 3k that is all I need to supply my woodworking hobby. The only other item I now need is a small solar kiln because I hate waiting for the wood to dry to a useable moisture content.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kczbest

Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

DeerMeadowFarm

So to answer some of the qualifying questions I have a 4WD tractor, skidding winch and a set of grapple forks for it. I have a couple of Husky XP saws. I have a couple of older peaveys, chains, cables, trailers, and a 1 ton 4WD dump truck. I have a bunch of hand tools and even a metal detector (helped out this summer when I lost an arm from my tedder!) The mill could be portable, but doesn't really need to be. I have a 42 acre wood lot; mostly hard wood: red, white oaks and ash. I have a stand of maples and a stand of white pine. The majority of the trees are less than 24" DBH; maybe 18" or so. Most of the pine I would eventually mill would have to come from off-site as my pine stand is pretty small in numbers but the ones that are there are maybe a little bigger on average in DBH than my hardwood trees.

I'd like to be able to mill material for outbuildings, sugar shack (someday!), wood shed, wood storage crates, farm stand, ground blinds, as well as projects like tables, benches, etc. My brother in law has land in Vermont's NEK and he has a cellar hole/camp there that at some point will be turned into his home. I'd also like to be able to sell molding at some point. Part of it will be for fun.

And Beenthere, my wife loves the smell of fresh milled wood!  ;D

learner

This may be a bit off subject but I noticed you said molding.  I got a visit from a man that makes molding for both old and new buildings.  Mainly older buildings that need the original molding matched.  Anyway, he said that he only works with kiln dried stock because it seems to be easier to shape.  So, if that is the case everywhere then you may want to start thinking about a kiln of some sort in the future.  Best of luck to you!
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Joe Hillmann

With all the tools and equipment you already have it looks like you could be milling with as little as a mill and a box or two of blades. 

If you are looking at new the lowest cost would be the harborfreight mill at around $2000.  Or a woodmizer lt10 is around $4500.  If you are looking to build your own, if you can find second hand material you could build one for under $1000.  If you were willing to go with a pto powered circular mill, I've seen several small ones go for $1000-$2000 that appeared as if they would run with a little work.

If you do much sawing eventually you will think it would be cheaper to sharpen your own blades than to send them out to be sharpened, a sharpener and setter start in the $1000 range.

homesteader1972

DMF, when I got my mill, I had a lowish budget. I asked around alot, and finally found a farmer who had an LT40 hydraulic for several years and was glad to sell it. I'd beat the bushes and see if you can find a good used mill at a good price. I got my mill, setter, sharpener, cant hook, manuals, bands and some extras parts for what a new entry level mill costs. Just put the word out.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

learner

DMF, I think your best bet would be to check out the different mill manufacturers and look for a used sawmill page.  Also, if you can establish a market before you buy, that would help you decide which mill you need.  I get a lot of request for trailer boards to replace the fir boards most trailers come with new.  With a mill you can cut specific lengths, widths and thicknesses.  And replacing the fir boards with oak makes a lot of trailer owners very happy.  Sure, they pay a little more for oak but, it last longer and saves them in the long run.  With your supply of oak you would have a good start. 
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

bandmiller2

DMF, don't overlook a older handset circular mill, they can be had for less than entrance level band saws and will put out more than expensive bandmills. They will take more time to setup and master but your grandchildren will be running it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DeerMeadowFarm

I've been looking around Craigslist on all of the New England states and there isn't much out there. The cheapest one I see is a Hudson HFE21 for $2500...?

terrifictimbersllc

Craigslist now lets you make an alert for any search, "sawmill" for sale, for example.  Get first dibs.
Could also post a sawmill "wanted", there.  Might shake something loose.  My impression there are a lot of sawmill owners maybe not using their mills as often as they like.   I sawed for a guy last summer had a relatively new sawmill setting outside, wasn't WM but don't remember brand now, had taken the engine off and put it in his shop to keep the mice out. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!