iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member, New mill

Started by ReinkeFandS, February 23, 2015, 01:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReinkeFandS

Hello Everyone,

Im new to this site and new to milling. I have recently purchased a Norwood LM29 and have been making a trailer for it. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here.

Thanks,

Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ReinkeFandS.

Congratulations on the new mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
How's that paint work in the cold?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jrose1970

Welcome, and that's a nice trailer!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

ReinkeFandS

clww- ill have to see how it holds up. We kept the paint inside right up until it was sprayed, cleaned the metal with acetone, put down two coats of primer then three coats of paint. It layed down really well but have to see it stays on or just chips off, but really was no way around it.
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

ely

x2 on the paint in the cold....but you do get extra points for posting pics so soon. ;D welcome to the crazy farm.

DeerMeadowFarm

tmarch

Welcome and nice job on the trailer, now for some sawdust to protect that new paint. :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

drobertson

howdy and welcome as well, nothing like being prepped and ready,  the saw dust will cover most of the chipping of the paint if it occurs ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new mill!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like you got the "right stuff".  Don't think I ever saw orange snow before, well maybe once eating cheetos.  Welcome to FF.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ReinkeFandS.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Finn1903

welcome!  nice trailer.   
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

ReinkeFandS

Quote from: clww on February 23, 2015, 03:10:55 PM
Seabees?

Clww I did 6 years, made it out as EO1 (equipment operator 1st class)
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

ReinkeFandS

Thank everyone I can't wait to get the mill assembled, it's just been a little cold lately!
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

kczbest

Nice work and welcome to the Forestry Forum @ReinkeFandS
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

thecfarm

ReinkeFandS,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ReinkeFandS

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2015, 07:48:00 PM
ReinkeFandS,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber.
there is a long list of projects but first two more horse stalls out of ash that is already bucked, skidded and waiting. Then this spring a new lean to to the pull barn.
The long term goal is to get a pair of drafts and start logging and custom milling as extra income part time.
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF,  great bunch here.

Best
DGDrls

Magicman

And Thank You ReinkeFandS for your Service to our Country.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fat olde elf

Welcome !! Not far from Lansing to Harrison for the Forum Pig Roast in August. Go Spartans !!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

justallan1

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

Allan

ReinkeFandS

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I got some time to work on the mill tonight and hopefully can start cutting this weekend.

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

mad murdock

Nice job on the trailer and welcome in from the cold ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ReinkeFandS

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

ReinkeFandS

Also made a winch and some cant cam holders:

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

bedway

That's some really nice craftsmanship. Reminds me of myself when I built mine years back. Its a continuously evolving project. :)

fishfighter

Looks good. Will the support for the wench be strong enough? Anybody else mount something like that?

I have a wench laying around, will two of them. Was thinking of fixing one up like the OP and the other to hook up a head roller.

beenthere

Quote from: fishfighter on March 12, 2015, 02:20:31 PM
Looks good. Will the support for the wench be strong enough? Anybody else mount something like that?

I have a wench laying around, will two of them. Was thinking of fixing one up like the OP and the other to hook up a head roller.

I'm sure you mean winch, not wench laying around (let alone two of them)..  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishfighter

schmism

so did you bolt the mill track to the trailer frame?  or weld it?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

ReinkeFandS

I debated welding the mill to the frame but in the end I bolted it. I hope the support is strong is enough, it's 3/16 schedule 40 so I think the 3000lbs winch will max out before anything else, but if not I'll just keep trying until I get it right
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

dboyt

Another Norwood sawyer... welcome to the forum!  Nice work on the trailer, and it looks like you've got the mill just about ready for sawdust.  You'll love running that mill.  I installed a similar winch on my mill with a deep cycle marine battery for power.  Works great & lasts all day.  I'm also concerned about the support, though... maybe a gusset at the bottom.  Lots of things you'll learn on your own as you go, such as keeping the clamps & log stops lower than the blade.  Get yourself a good cant hook if you don't already have one, and start out milling some low-grade logs that you can use for blocking and stickers for stacking & drying the good stuff.  Have fun!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ReinkeFandS

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get milling, I've got about 25 logs of ash, poplar, oak and basswood to cut up. Which part of the winch are you guys concerned over from these pictures below?

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

valley ranch

Magicman

My concern is not in those pictures.  My concern is that the tall upright that holds the winch may not have enough backbone and will bend.  Maybe there is something that I am not seeing.

ReinkeFandS

Magic, that's where I'm the most concerned too. I was making sure I wasn't missing something in those pictures. But if it does bend there I'll try something different, live and learn.
Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Magicman

A removable push brace from the top of your winch platform rod to the sawmill frame might be enough.

ReinkeFandS

Cooks MP HD3238
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on March 14, 2015, 08:06:31 AM
My concern is not in those pictures.  My concern is that the tall upright that holds the winch may not have enough backbone and will bend.  Maybe there is something that I am not seeing.

This. Some kind of a brace from just below the winch to maybe to the ground. By flipping a log/cant the way you have it set up, I think there is a good chance you could bend your trailer too.

If I do build a winch set up, I think I going to build to were it's on it's own.

jrose1970

Hey ReinkeFands,
  I'll swap tractors with you even Steven. Just kidding. Those Kubota's are nice!
Mine's an International 424 from the 60's. It runs great though.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

tavish123

I'm new to this sight but ran across your trailer build and it's exactly what I was thinking about for my LM29 saw. I have several questions for you if you could answer them for me.

What size tubing did you use for your frame?    2x3 or 2x4 steel and what gauge thickness.

tavish123

Sorry a couple more questions     I hit send by accident before finishing.

What size wheels and axle width for your trailer.

Has your trailer worked for you like you wanted it to or are there things you'd would like to have changed.

Thanks Paul

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tavish123!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PAmizerman

The last time he was active was may of 2017. Not sure if he checks in but this should get his attention @ReinkeFandS 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Thank You Sponsors!