iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bale twine and chainsaws dont mix!

Started by Butlerslogs, February 23, 2015, 09:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butlerslogs

Got my Stihl ms211 caught up in some bale twine, completely destroyed the clutch bell housing and the bearings etc etc.  >:( >:(

terrifictimbersllc

That's too bad, sorry to hear.  But better than a drawstring from jacket or sweater I guess.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

That would do it. Were you using it to cut bales?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

luvmexfood

I can imagine. Have a compound mitre saw in the shop and needed to cut a piece of rope one day. Not a knife to be found. Thought I would just chop it with saw. Broke all the plastic guard stuff and made a pretzel out of the blade.

Lesson learned. How come all my lessons learned usually cost me money. Blade was an 8.5 inch fine tooth carbide tipped. Expensive. Could have gotten a 10 inch cheaper.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

gfadvm

Haven't gotten mine in the string but I do have a heads up for those who use their chainsaw to cut big square bales into feedable flakes: I set a 2400# bale of alfalfa on fire with my chainsaw. No smoke or smoldering noted for several hours but 6 hours later it was burning with BIG flames. I got it put out but almost lost my barn, sawmill, and a lot of lumber.  I bought an electric chainsaw the next day and have not set any more hay on fire!

WDH

Butler,

My brother got into some baling twine with my Husky 61.

Baling twine 1, chainbreak 0.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

We often use bailing twine to tie tarps down and it is a good use for the twine.    Unfortunately, I was flail mowing and there was a tarp adjacent to where I was mowing.   What I did not see was the twine extending out into the path of the mower.   The mower is an 8' wide commercial verismo weighing in at 2000lbs.   As I passed the tarp there was a flash of blue out the corner of my eye and before I could turn my head the tarp disappeared into the mower at supersonic speed.   The tarp was a large object moving at very unnaturally high speed sending a shiver down the spine.   I spent the afternoon cutting the tarp out of the mower and ended up burning the last part out it was wrapped so tightly.   That twine is very strong and is not a friend to mowers either!
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

sawguy21

I work with outdoor power equipment. I think I have seen just about everything jammed in mowers, tillers and snow blowers. I hated cutting barbed wire out piece by piece, rope was a bugger too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Butlerslogs

managed to use some of the parts off an old ms201 and fix it! the stuff had melted to it!

DDDfarmer

Sounds like the plastic twine, great bearing and oil seal ruiner, plus does good work on chainsaw chains and brakes.  Sure does wind up fast and stop the saw in a hurry.  Once found about 12 feet of #8 copper wire with the saw stopped it up real fast also.  Worst part was I was a mile into the bush and forgot the scrench at home ::).
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

luvmexfood

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on February 23, 2015, 09:38:20 PM
We often use bailing twine to tie tarps down and it is a good use for the twine.    Unfortunately, I was flail mowing and there was a tarp adjacent to where I was mowing.   What I did not see was the twine extending out into the path of the mower.   The mower is an 8' wide commercial verismo weighing in at 2000lbs.   As I passed the tarp there was a flash of blue out the corner of my eye and before I could turn my head the tarp disappeared into the mower at supersonic speed.   The tarp was a large object moving at very unnaturally high speed sending a shiver down the spine.   I spent the afternoon cutting the tarp out of the mower and ended up burning the last part out it was wrapped so tightly.   That twine is very strong and is not a friend to mowers either!

Things like this really have a tendancy to ruin your day. Seems like if you tried real hard to wrap something up as bad and stop you there is noway possible.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

DDDfarmer

found some silage wrap( just like seran wrap but much stronger) last summer with our 7' hd rotary cutter.  That texas mower sucked it up just like a hoover.  Spent most of the afternoon unwrapping/cutting  it from the main shaft.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

BubbasDad

I know alot of farmers use the wrap up my way and seems they dont like to pick it up. Got it wrapped up on drive shaft up to farm cuttin wood didnt realize it until it took out rear yoke seal on rear end
John

caveman

Several years ago, while helping pull vines (balsam apple vine, Virginia creeper, milkweed vine) out of citrus trees, the 4-wheel drive Chevy truck our county supervisor was driving through the grove stopped.  A good portion of the rest of the morning was spent under a really low truck, in very sandy soil, during Florida summer heat, cutting clumps of weeds off of both drive shafts using a pocket knife and Gerber tool. 

Spanish moss will jam a saw up too, but I have never damaged a clutch because of it.
Caveman
Caveman

7sleeper

I believe that that is the original event behind the invention of chainsaw chaps....

Sorry for your bad luck!

Thank You Sponsors!